McLaren 650S | FerrariChat

McLaren 650S

Discussion in 'British' started by RossoNero, Mar 14, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RossoNero

RossoNero Karting

Sep 7, 2012
    JHB, South Africa
    Full Name:
    Henry
    Saw it in the metal at the local dealer today. Have a test drive booked for next week.

Quality of interior's materials, build & design does not stand up to the 458.

Entry is hilariously impractical, with the scissor doors and elevated sills making a dignified entry difficult.

Visibility from the cockpit is excellent once you're in, however - and the sense of occasion after going through the motions is actually very cool.

The car is gorgeous in the metal. The front end is mini-P1, and that chunky rear end still works.

All-in-all, she looks like a worthy competitor. Can't wait to drive it.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    Looks like a kit car :(

JD

3. ViperTT

ViperTT Karting

Apr 5, 2011
    That interior material does not do that interior justice. Black leather with diviated stitching and some alcantara would be more pleasing to the eyes.

4. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Making it look like the P1 takes away from the P1 IMHO. Biggest issue I've had with P1 is it doesn't look that different. Will be interesting to see how the car drives. I was impressed with the MP4 coupe.

5. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    I like it but not in this colour.

6. MB_Fahrer

MB_Fahrer Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Meh... Honestly, I could care less about the Mclaren typewriters. Sure, the F1 seems cool but the new ones just don't do it. I do like the color though.

7. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    LOL. What? It has alcantara, CF, stitching, and plastic. How can it be low quality compared to a 458 that has the exact same materials?

8. smooth

smooth Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2005
    Because McLaren has more plastic crap inside than any other exotic car, I have seen. They don't use quality suppliers. LOL.

9. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Huh? It's like the most spartan interior of any exotic out there. Maybe I've forgotten, but the only think plastic I can recall are buttons/knobs. I don't think I've ever driven a car with metal buttons. Plastic feels like plastic in everything from a Ford to a Ferrari in my experience.

Even CF just feels like glossy plastic to me.

10. NSXLuvr

NSXLuvr Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2006
    Tx
    Full Name:
    Ritesh
    LOL....says the guy who owns a bunch of old Bimmers and Benz!

11. MarkNC

MarkNC Formula Junior
    Owner

May 22, 2012
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Sorry but I own both cars (12C Spider and 458 Spider) and the interior quality, including fit and finish, on the McLaren is superior to the Ferrari. In addition McLaren believes that if you order cruise control you should get a proper stalk, with the ability to know what speed you've set and a resume and cancel function that make sense, instead of a hideous and cheap "pit speed" dial that gives you zero feedback. Also check out the crappy window and roof controls on the 458. They look like they came off a cheap kids' toy. There's no contest here. McLaren's controls feel good and their dash pieces line up properly. Their AC vents will actually push air to your face. Their parking brake control is in a good place and its operation makes sense. I could go on and on but hopefully you're getting the point. I love both cars but the McLaren is the better built car for sure.

Maybe you need to see one with a leather interior. I sat in the 650S in Geneva and found that the full Alcantara interior on the 650S feels a little less special than their normal leather interiors but that's just a leather vs. alcantara thing. The Speciale has the same issue. Regardless I'd probably still go for the Alcantara interior (it's a no-cost option) for overall grip. BTW, a full leather interior (or some leather, some alcantara) is a no-cost option on the 650S.

You get used to it surprisingly quickly. Once you learn "your way" it becomes second nature.

Agreed.

Agreed.

It should be awesome. I'm going to trade my 12C Spider for one. Let us know what you think!

12. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    I think Smooth had a bad experience with his 12C and I take his comments with a grain of salt. Just like mine should be considered in light of having a good experience in my first year of ownership. That said, I am not in the market for a 650S partly because I don't really care for the look, but mostly because I'd probably face a $150K delta to trade my 2012 12C coupe for a 2014 (or are they 15s?) 650S. I don't have the resources or stomach to spend $12K a month just to keep up with the latest and greatest.