Valuation of McLaren F1 Supercar | FerrariChat

Valuation of McLaren F1 Supercar

Discussion in 'British' started by Long Beach Pride, Apr 1, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Long Beach Pride

Mar 13, 2014
    Long Beach Ca
    Full Name:
    Alfred E. Neumen
    I was brushing up on my knowledge a few days ago on one of my favorite Autos of all time. It appears since the world's financial bubble has popped and started inflating again that some parties are willing to trade their 1st, 2nd and 3rd born children to possess the 90's most superlative example of a supercar the McLaren F1 and pay in the range of $10MM!

Would anyone else here agree with this valuation for the F1? I personally would be more than happy to own this car and pass up the keys to a Bugatti any day, maybe just short of that one owner Ferrari NART.

2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    No real "correct" answer on the price. So few ever available so the next selling price probably higher than the prior. Probably...

GTR - $5-6MM
    Road - $9-10MM
    LM - >$15MM

3. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Wait...seriously?

I would have guessed $2M for a road car. I must be living under a rock these days!

4. V8ray

V8ray Formula Junior

Jun 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Are you MAD?

5. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    ?

6. V8ray

V8ray Formula Junior

Jun 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Lol sorry,

Alfred E. Neumen is "MAD" the magazine.

7. jcosta79

jcosta79 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    LaJonathan
    LOL

8. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    F1 road cars are very expensive now - hard to have a "market" with such low numbers, but well into the millions I am sure. I'd love to have one, but a lowly F40 is not even a down payment.

Too bad there does not seem to be much of a halo effect on the MP4-12C. I'd venture that the 12C is probably nearly as quick and vastly more usable.

9. Vinny Bourne

Vinny Bourne Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2011
    If someone said you can have an F1 or a P1, gratis, why would anyone choose the F1? The P1 has surpassed it in every category except maybe 1. The P1 looks way better, it's faster, it handles way better, ever seen the lean by an F1, and it almost sounds as good. The F1 was all about the sound of that engine.

Better choices out there for the money imo. And I am with John, I can't believe that prices have climbed so high so fast.

10. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    The F1 was more than the engine, it was about being the best car in the world. It arguably still is and it's becoming more and more apparent that there will be no modern equivalent.

F1 is my childhood dream car.

The F1 is an entirely different philosophy when it comes to supercar performance. Light weight, compact size, big NA power, no digital intrusions, no turbochargers or hybrid systems. Additionally there are many things that make it unique such as the central driving position and of course the relative rarity.

The fact that it took until year 2014 for cars to surpass it speaks volumes, and the F1 may still have a higher top speed than its new digital counterparts.

Also many place a value on racing heritage and pedigree, but I don't particularly care. If the F1 wasn't as amazing as it was, simply a bump up over an F40 or a 959 I would be more keen to agree with you.

I would choose the F1 every day of the week.

11. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Looks are subjective...some will find both cars very ugly and others will think they're complete works of art. Some people don't want all the electrical aids the P1 will have compared to the F1. The F1 is still the fastest naturally-aspirated car to hit production...

If both were the same price, I'd go for the F1. 3-seater, manual transmission, no power steering, V12 engine (BMW no less). Otherwise, with today's prices, P1 over F1 no question. Not worth that price difference. Get a 12C spider along with the P1 and a mansion in place of an F1 imo. Or get a P1, 918, LaFerrari, and cash to spare.

12. Vinny Bourne

Nov 25, 2011
    Guys' I have watched Tiff drive the stripped down version a lot of times and I have watched the hour long factory build video more than once.

With a 0-60 of 3.2 it has been superceded by a few n/a cars including the 458, F12, and Zonda. For construction detail and materials, the One-77 is a lot better built imo including a lot of gold shielding. And who the heck cares about some ridiculous top end, pointless.

Haha, that seating arrangement. That would get real old real fast. What a pain that must be not to mention extremely awkward to have passengers. I find the F1 average looking at best but I think the P1 is the best looking new vehicle right now.

13. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    All of those cars are fat pigs by comparison, even the 458.

14. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    I prefer the F1 looks over the P1, the center seat is very special, and the limited mass and size are very appealing as well. Finally, the F1 is an icon, head and shoulders superior to every car of its day, the LM version won LeMans OVERALL in 1995, defeating the prototypes of the day. Production numbers are very small, as well.

That said, I would not spend $8 million on one, to me it is 2-3x the car the F40 is, and that's about it.

Academic discussion, though

15. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    All this money for a car about the same size as a miata with a BMW engine. ;)

16. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    I've only seen two in person and it is surprisingly small in person compared to photos. However, the most "shock" for smaller than I imagined was the F50. That thing is a lot smaller than I imagined. Enzo is the opposite...thing is huge...as is the MC12 by a lot.

17. jcosta79

jcosta79 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    LaJonathan
    LOL!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

18. Vinny Bourne

Nov 25, 2011
    I saw this video a while back and I think it shows a great contrast @ :20 between the super exotic looks of the P1 (but still classy) and the mundane in comparison look of the Gallardo. The rest of the video is ok but nothing special.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bU0bOxFqj4]Purple/Carbon McLaren P1 in Frankfurt - Inside, start up, driving, details and more ! - YouTube[/ame]

19. Evan.Fiorentino

Evan.Fiorentino F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    South East Florida
    Full Name:
    Evan
    They are worth whatever someone will pay... if you can even find one

20. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

I heard 7ish million in December for a road car. 10 mil now would be a huge jump in 4 months. But it is my alltime favorite super car.

21. Long Beach Pride

Mar 13, 2014
    Long Beach Ca
    Full Name:
    Alfred E. Neumen
    The car is a very exclusive Fraternity.

And if anyone ever watches Top Gear BBC, Hammond raced The Stig with a Bugatti vs the F1, and even at that the McLaren had the Whole-Shot for a minute before the Bugatti's crazy silly power finally caught up.

If I could have any car in the world, it would be the F1. Even though I would probably have to ship it back to McLaren to refit it to my 6'5" frame. For those who can't remember McLaren was fitting the driver's seat to the customer.

That and I would take a 959 over an F40 since the 959 was the 80's technological tour deForce that the F1 was to the 90s! No debating on this one lads - that's all I got to say about that... Like Forrest Gump.

22. MarkNC

MarkNC Formula Junior
    Owner

May 22, 2012
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #22 MarkNC, Apr 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    That's incorrect. The last road-going F1 that sold at auction (Gooding & Company at Pebble Beach in August 2013) went for $8.47M

Monterey 2013: McLaren F1 Sells for $8.47 Million

A McLaren dealer told me another one changed hands privately at over $10M more recently. These cars seldom make it to auctions. McLaren keeps in pretty good communications with the owners so they know which cars might be for sale and can introduce prospective buyers to potential sellers.

The race cars sell for considerably less. Some of them have been converted to road cars at considerable expense but some, like the one sold earlier this year for $5.28M aren't suitable for conversion.

See: https://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/19/mclaren-f1-gtr-longtail-gooding-scottsdale-5-million/
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. Long Beach Pride

Mar 13, 2014
    Long Beach Ca
    Full Name:
    Alfred E. Neumen
    #23 Long Beach Pride, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
    During developmemt they put a V8 Chevy into one of the F1 test mules. Wonder what the displacement was on that engine - 576 with Super Charger to replicate the V12s power. Of course McLaren destroyed that car and another test mule.

I found a wdbsite a few weeks ago that listed all the cars chassis numbers and the build order and if there was anything of note about the spicific car. When I can find that webpage I will post it here. Lots of great information.

24. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Totally agree about the size.
    I have always been a huge F1 fan but when I saw one in person I was somehow disappointed. To me it just did not appear to have as much presence as I had expected it to. I feel the car looks more exotic in pictures than it does in real life. Still respect it hugely, and love it too but maybe not as much....

25. Long Beach Pride

Mar 13, 2014
    Long Beach Ca
    Full Name:
    Alfred E. Neumen