Bristol Motorcars | FerrariChat

Bristol Motorcars

Discussion in 'British' started by spirot, Apr 3, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Anyone here have one? for what ever reason I kinda like them.. Blenheim or Beaufighter... kinda dig'em....

recent story in Evo so thought I'd post up.

2. em42

em42 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    #2 em42, Jan 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hello!

I just came accross this post. I own a Bristol Blenheim 3, and I really like it! It is kind of an acquired taste but it is a true grand tourer with a lot of power. Totally understated.
    Unlike what it is said in many articles, it feels like a proper motor car, it doesn't rattle and is really refined. And the ride is really good if you push the throttle.

What is the article you mention?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Anthony bentley

Anthony bentley Formula Junior

May 20, 2006
    London
    Full Name:
    Anthony Bentley
    But the styling! It looks like a 5 year old had drew it!
    Type in Jean Simmons 402 Roadster now that's a beautiful Bristol, I actually have that car in stock.

4. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    In my fantasy garage, I would have a Bristol Fighter.

5. em42

em42 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    #5 em42, Jan 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
    I do not agree. The styling is surely an acquired taste but it has got presence and charisma. You have to see those cars in the flesh to really understand them. I didn't buy it for the styling alone, but as a tribute to old school craftsmanship surviving up to modern days. And the whole driving experience is very rewarding indeed. Having such a discreet car that nobody remarks being able of incredible acceleration is amazing. It is not a pretty car by any standard, but that is not what I expect from this car.

Your 402 is gorgeous by the way!

6. damian in nj

damian in nj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2009
    The late author LJK Setright was a big fan (and owner, I think). I loved reading his stories in CAR magazine.

The Man Who Loved Bristols

7. richardson michael

Aug 17, 2013
    brittany. france
    Full Name:
    michael richardson
    In the UK the demise of Bristol has been well documented I contribute to the Jensen forum(joc.co.uk),the Interceptor being a similar market product.Bristol survived far longer than other marques,mainly because the London dealer,Anthony Crook,invested in,and sold the majority of the product,thereby keeping his elitist customers supplied as required.Cant help feeling that one day soon ,both Interceptors and prettier Bristols will be well sought after.

8. em42

em42 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    Thanks for the link.

9. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    I agree, the styling is quirky, not for everyone. I like them personally. What year is your Blenheim? I didn't know they were imported into CH.

Please post more pics of your car.

10. em42

em42 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    Hello! My car is a 2000.

They were never imported in Switzerland! And there is a whole story about that. It took me 26 month to homologate it and to register it on the road. I had to make a lot of modifications to the cats, to the ignition and so on. I also had to provide tons of information, many of them being unavailable at Bristol cars. But I eventually managed to do it!

I'll try to take some more pictures when the weather permits. It is now snowing...

11. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Wow, I can imagine how much work that was. Does that mean Switzerland is now open to importing a 2000 Blenheim since you have homologated the model?

12. em42

em42 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    Yes it does! I think I paved the way...

13. em42

em42 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    #13 em42, Jan 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Its just such a cool looking car. I love it. I've driven a beaughfiter back in the late 80's in the UK. ( actually the first car i ever drove that was right hand drive. ) lots of power and quirky but so cool. On an ordinary day in London - your chances of meeting another Bristol on the street = 0000001% that is how rare they are.

what part of CH are you in? I used to live in Montreux - Glion.

15. Vanquish80

Vanquish80 Formula Junior

Aug 1, 2011
    Germany,Switzerland
    @em42
    It just looks British. ;-)

I love that weird look, it's very old school, but understated and luxurious.
    Is there a V8 working under the bonnet?

Do you maintain the car by yourself?

Best regards
    Bjoern

Sent from my spaceship via Tapatalk.

16. em42

em42 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    Wow! Learning to drive on the left lane in a Bristol is pretty unusual!
    I live near Neuchâtel.

17. em42

em42 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    Yes there is a big V8 under the bonnet! The power is really impressive, even more due to the fact that nobody expects that sort of acceleration from such a car!

No, I don't do the maintenance by myself. I go to Classic and Vintage Cars in Spiez. They also service my Alvis and are very knowledgeable about odd English cars.

18. Vanquish80

Vanquish80 Formula Junior

Aug 1, 2011
    Germany,Switzerland
    I've watched some Blenheims this afternoon in the WWW. Massive price differences, but I admit, I'd like to have one. Just because it looks like it looks. ;)

Sent from my spaceship via Tapatalk.

19. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    It was fun. My friends father had the Bristol and they lived down in Kent so it was not like London traffic but still wierd. But you can see why the Bristol is built the way it is long and thin based on the roads it was built for.

I've been to Neuchatel several times - very pretty area. some good roads over into France and then South/ east into the mountains...towards Interlaken. I miss Switzerland!