McLaren discontinues 12C, offers owners free upgrade | FerrariChat

McLaren discontinues 12C, offers owners free upgrade

Discussion in 'British' started by churchy, Apr 4, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. churchy

churchy Rookie

Mar 3, 2012
    "Last month we were proud to present the latest addition to our range: the McLaren 650S. Utilising advancements made during the development of the groundbreaking McLaren P1™, the 650S provides an unparalleled combination of performance and refinement.

True to the McLaren ethos, the benefits of such progress are not limited to our new models. As a McLaren owner, we want to be able to share these developments with you with the offer of a free Technology Upgrade available from June.

This package of upgrades will offer new Active Aero software which will allow your 12C's existing Airbrake to 'sense' different driving scenarios, deploying to improve stability when lifting off the throttle or cresting a hill - this is in addition to the usual Airbrake position under heavy braking. The new system also includes a DRS (Drag Reduction System) mode which lowers the wing when driving at speed in a straight line, improving high-speed aerodynamics.

The Technology Upgrade also includes improvements to functionality and usability of the Android-based IRIS system. Later 12C models (with door buttons) will further benefit from an external control to lower the windows, to aid easier access in confined spaces.

In addition to this free upgrade, we are also offering a special price on two new features introduced with the 650S: the reversing camera and DAB radio. These cost options have been specially priced for 12C owners, to allow you to take advantage of the very latest technology (please note, depending on your model year, there may be hardware restrictions).

To find out more about both the Technology Upgrade and the new options, please contact your local retailer who can discuss your car in more detail.

Meanwhile, the final piece of news I wanted to share with you is regarding 12C production which we have decided to cease in light of the success of 650S. The new car has been so well received since its unveiling at the Geneva Motor Show (we already have a six month order bank) we will focus all our capacity at the McLaren Production Centre on 650S.

After three years of 12C production, this represents a natural evolution of our model line-up. I want to assure you that McLaren remains dedicated to customer satisfaction and that we care about the ownership experience of every car we've ever sold.

Once again, we thank you for your commitment to McLaren and being part of our committed pursuit for automotive excellence.

Best Regards

Mike Flewitt

Cheif Executive Officer
    McLaren Automotive"

Don't know if the news has already been posted this on the forum. McLaren is clearly having hard times selling its cars and in a year or two there will be the new Huracan in full production together with the new competitor by Ferrari.

I think the countdown has started..

2. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Interesting since they were on record via a YouTube record saying they'd produce the two side by side...

Any idea how much more $$$ a 650S is vs. a MP4-12C?

3. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Does this mean I will be able to pick up a 12c spider for around $150k by the end of the year?

4. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #4 noone1, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
    Pretty misleading thread title. The title should be, "McLaren discontinues 12C, introduces 650S to replace it. Offers 12C owners more upgrades and discounts on 650S retro-fit options."

Says the have 6 months worth of orders already...

5. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Same, more or less. The 650S has a higher MSRP, but comes with standard with things like CCB, alcantara, etc.

Unless you liked the look of the 12C, there was no reason you'd buy it. Consider the 650S a facelift.

6. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    6 months of orders is not impressive by Ferrari standards.

Looks to me like they are trying to keep more 12Cs off the market and further weakening resle prices.

A 3 year run on the 12C is not a sign of success...just the opposite. The car just wasn't selling so they had to come out with the 650s.

Seems to me the outlook for Mac's long term survival is even more in doubt IMVHO. Caveate emptor!

7. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Doesn't have to be the same as Ferrari. No exotic company has that kind of order book. Lamborghini has 900 orders at Geneva. 6 months of orders at McLaren is about 600 based on how many 12cs were sold over 3 years.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

8. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Formula 3

Oct 24, 2006
    Highway to Hell
    Ferrari has never made a car like the 650s

enjoy your 458, just leave the left lane open

9. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    What's this thread doing here?

10. modena

modena F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    John
    Great car, but a sales flop. Just like every other McLaren. This news has pissed off a lot of 12C owners.

11. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    I thought they´d said that they were going to sell both at the same time. Didn´t make much sense anyway, although I like the looks of the old one better.

12. churchy

churchy Rookie

Mar 3, 2012
    Sorry, I'm quite new to the forum and I didn't realize there is a "British" section on Fchat. It sure would have been better to post this thread over there, I just thought the topic was relevant to this section as the 650s is a direct competitor of the 458.

Well, it should be...

13. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Thinking the same given how it's faster than the 458.

14. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Based on the reviews it's even quicker than the eSpeciale...I think both are a miss in the looks dept. The 458 is rice while the Mac is just, err, odd.

15. Richietheruler

Richietheruler Karting
    BANNED

Mar 24, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Sir Richie The Ruler
    Faster almost shouldn't matter since hitting top speed on public roads would be an insane thing to do.

I wonder if you can put the 650s face on the 12c? I always hated the look of the 12c abd its back. The P1 got styling perfect. I havent loved a Mclaren since the SLR

16. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    Great thread

17. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #17 TheMayor, Apr 4, 2014
    This is SUCH BS by McLaren.

For months they have been saying the 650s is not a replacement but more like the 458 Speciale or Scud or CS -- a special edition on top of their regular car production.

The reason they did that? Because they have boatloads of 12c's sitting on dealer lots and a lot of people in the last year who just bought spiders and don't want to find out that after a few months their cars are now obsolete.

"Sorry your car is now out of production. We have something better. Good luck and please order a 650s when you have a chance."

Even the way this announcement is written is condescending. "We value you so much we're going to upgrade your car for free! Oh, and by the way -- we're replacing it with a new model."

McLaren FLAT OUT LIED to people who bought the 12c. They said they would not change models so quickly and even within the last year, they lied about their intents of the 12c to keep people buying and try to hold up values (which will take yet again another hit).

Its amazing to me McLaren owners stick with them.

If you just picked up a 12 c spider a few months ago and were told it was just replaced with a new model, you're going to be PO'd -- or at least you should be.

The 650s was not a "Scud" 12c -- it was a replacement model and McLaren knew that all along.

But hey, the McLaren glee club can rejoice. They're going to fix the Android system that didn't work the first 2 years of production and make the people with "button" doors happier. Yeah! .

18. Richietheruler

Richietheruler Karting
    BANNED

Mar 24, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Sir Richie The Ruler
    How is it a sales flop? this isn't a 911 where selling 30k cars a year is normal It's their first volume car that has competed well...These cars do cost 300k each and no one in the world actually needs a 300k sports car.

19. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #19 TheMayor, Apr 4, 2014
    It's a flop because they didn't even get close to their production numbers they needed. They kept pushing cars on dealers and dealers had no choice but discount them.

As they discounted, people sold their cars to avoid losing more and more resale value. It set up a spiral. It didn't help that the Philly dealer always seemed to be about 10-20 grand cheaper than any car advertised.

There's a 12c now with 250 miles on it that's like 80 grand off MSRP as an asking price. My understanding is that now you can walk onto a dealer lot and just take 60 grand off any 12c you want.

That's a flop.

It may be one fantastic car but it did not even come close to reaching it's goals. And, it seems to have had little or no impact on its main rival, the 458.

It did perhaps open the market up to a wider audience and that's a good thing.

20. diSCUDsted

diSCUDsted Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2010
    ILLinois
    Lol. I agree. I just dropped off my 458 for the annual this morning (also a McLaren dealer).
    Was speaking to the tech there telling him how I'm glad I sold my MP4 before the 12C tanks even more since the 650S coming out.

He confirmed the 650S is a replacement to the 12C, but says he believes the used market will begin to rise a bit on 12C because of this.

I personally see it dropping even more because of it.

*On a good note, saw my first P1 in person there. Tech told me the guy ordered 2 of them. Along with a La Ferrari, AND.... a 918 from a local Porsche dealer as well!!

Now that is crazy!

21. jcosta79

jcosta79 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    LaJonathan
    A McLaren thread without Peloton25 in it? Is he okay?

22. modena

modena F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    John
    The Mayor summed it up nicely.

23. modena

modena F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    John
    He's currently analysing each and every word of the 650S press release and preparing an excuse. Basically a normal Friday for him.

24. llink

llink Karting

Nov 18, 2013
    Northern California
    McLaren's committed pursuit of automotive excellence doesn't extend to using a spell checker when sending out an email to all owners from the "Cheif Executive Officer". As Vizzini would say . . .Inconceivable!

25. perrinnation

perrinnation Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2012
    The Detroit area
    Full Name:
    David
    Damn. THAT hurts to see.