Jaguar quality and reliability? | FerrariChat

Jaguar quality and reliability?

Discussion in 'British' started by 96redLT4, Apr 6, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I am thinking about buying a new F Type R coupe to replace and old Lexus daily driver. This would be my first foray into the Jaguar brand coming from Lexus and Porsche. I know the brand has been plagued in the past with questions of build quality and reliability? For owners of late model cars, what has been your experience in these regards? Is the maintenance schedule generally once a year? It sure sounds like a car company that is starting to fire on all cylinders!
    Jim

2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Quality and reliability don't go hand in hand with a jag. Never has. The newer stuff is very very nice. But there is just way to much going on electrically that will without a doubt cause future issues. That dumb gear knob thing that rises out of the console is so stupid. Wait until you spill a cup of coffee on that console panel.

Long term..there isn't one. Lease only and hand the keys back once the warrenty is up.

3. drgek

drgek Formula 3

Jun 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    Gary
    This may be slightly non-responsive, but my experience with Range Rover under Tata ownership in a vehicle that shares many electrical components and systems (nav, HVAC) with current Jaguars has been sensational; 24K miles on my '13 Range Rover Sport and the only time it has been back for service was for routine maintenance.

My '14 F-Type V8S is only a month old, so I can't comment on its reliability as of yet. The main complaint I've seen on Jaguar-themed forums is a problem with the motor for the somewhat silly pop-up center vents; it seems to have been corrected in more recently built units. The first scheduled maintenance is at 1 year/16K miles. My 911s were never particularly trouble free, so at least during the warranty period I would doubt a significantly different experience. In the 2014 JD Power Vehicle Dependability Survey, Porsche had 125 problems per 100 vehicles compared to 132 for Jaguar, both besting the industry average of 133. I'm not sure an additional .07 problems per car would scare me away. I think the traffic stopping appearance of the F-Type coupe coupled with the unbelievable performance figures make that "difference" in reliability a trivial concern, especially as it is a veritable bargain compared to a Turbo.

As far as comments on depreciation, I'm not sure how Jaguars will be worse than Porsche Turbos or V12 Ferraris (been personally clobbered on both of these.) 5K miles on a 599 in one year from new equaled $93,000 depreciation from MSRP.

4. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    IMO there really aren't that many unreliable cars these days. I'd just assume par for the course. I'm sure all brands actually have pretty comparable results. The big difference is how much parts and service actually cost.

5. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Thanks for the replies so far. It really seems like Jag and Range Rover are being groomed to crank out some exciting cars. I drove a friend's F type R convertible and it was a blast. The new coupe is 550 hp for 30 grand less than a well equipped Porsche Carrera S!
    Jim

6. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

the new f type is fab...looks as sexy as any car on the road and 550 hp is real power!

coupe or convert...I don't think you can go too wrong!!

7. HOBE456

HOBE456 Karting

Apr 27, 2012
    Hobe Sound, FL
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I have 2 Jags, a 2011 XKR-175. This one is a limited edition 510 HP limited edition of 175 made for the US market. It has been trouble free. It's a rocket ship and I've had it on the track a couple of times and I am usually chasing some Ferrari's around the track. (I do own an F430 by the way). My wife drives a 2010 XFR. Same engine but in a very comfortable 4 door sedan. No complaints on either. The new F type in the Coupe looks very tempting and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a Jaguar. BTW, my 2011 XFR-175 is still under warranty till 2016, a pretty good deal.

8. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Had a 2010 petrol XF, perfect reliability wise. Only problems I've heard are with diesel models.

9. MM355

MM355 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2008
    GMT + 3
    Had owned jaguars since the 90's, was lucky with no problems XK8 4.0 and now own a current model Land Rover plus Jaguar and they have been nothing but reliable. I can certainly say 06+ cars have gotten german quality reliability and under the current TATA ownership its pretty solid. Its not the dreadful reputation of the past.

10. fskof

fskof Karting

Nov 23, 2005
    Milwaukee, Wi
    Full Name:
    Frank
    My next door neighbor has a 2012 Jaguar and 2013 Range Rover and they both have been perfect. Only went into the shop for oil changes. The new Jaguars are NOTHING like the past vehicles.

11. Vanquish80

Vanquish80 Formula Junior

Aug 1, 2011
    Germany,Switzerland
    I've had several Range Rovers since 2007, my brand new supercharged has been stolen a few weeks ago.
    I own a 2013 XKR convertible, had a 2012 XK coupe before and I also own a 1997 Daimler Double Six.

No problems at all.
    I don't get why the upcoming gear knob is called stupid.
    First I didn't like it, but then I got my XK coupe and found it very nice.
    Spilling coffee in your car is stupid, the gear knob isn't.

Personally I don't like the F-Type but I don't see any quality problem with Jag or Land Rover cars.

My last (new) German car was a G55 in 2008 which was great. But back in 2004 I got me a brand new Merc CLS - technically a piece of c**p.
    Since then I don't give a beep about "German Engineering".

12. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I drove an F Jag and it was wonderful to look at and drive. British car are so much fun but my luck on reliability has been horrible.

My Aston Martin was sort of okay. Only one simple problem

My brand new Lotus Evora S would not start in the third week of ownership. A brand new car! It was a great car to drive. I sold the car within a month of purchase.

MY Lotus Elise sport was great but my friends who had them got galled cam shafts. It was a manufacturing defect.

My Mclaren also a brand new car and it stopped working and left me stranded with in the first few months of ownership. It was a 12C.

The sad part is British cars are such great drivers plus good looking cars.

I am a car collector and I have quite a few cars. I have had great luck with Audi, BMW, Ferrari and Lamborghini. I have had great luck with all three of my Ferrari's, and four Lambos.

The good news is Corvette has caught up with the Europeans in my view. THe new 2014 Vette is a stunning sports car. Power is not there yet but it is coming. My base Vette with only 460 hp is a very satisfying car to drive.

I love the Ford Mustang Shelby. a 6 speed manual and 665hp. whats not to like.

Good luck on whatever you decide to buy.

Best

Lee

13. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Thanks for the input Lee and everyone else!

14. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    According to my local dealer the first F types coupes should be here very soon. Its hard to see how this isn't a great buy for the power and luxury, if the quality is there as well.
    J

15. I16

I16 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2008
  16. psorella

psorella Formula 3

Oct 22, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    Been driving landrovers for 8 years as DD's and the experience has been nothing short of fantastic. Coming out of a RR Sport SC , I now drive a 2013 XJ awd portfolio and after 7months and 13k km's, no problems whatsoever. The car is a dreamboat ! First in class as far as fit and finish. It's the baby Bentley ! Drove the F-type in both V6 and V8 and they are a blast. So much so that I want the coupe as well next...

17. Taurean Bull

Taurean Bull Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2010
    On my way
    Full Name:
    Chad
    As oppposed to the Audis and BMWs we've had - they have been horrid with electrics out of warranty, and transmissions, and control arms, and and and...........

Or buy a new GM vehicle only to have it recalled before it kills you.

Or a couple of recent cars from P and F that burst in to flames.

Curious, when looking at all the responses below yours, what personal experience do you have with Jaguar that fits your characterization?

All new cars and manufacturers have flubs, and Jags have been keeping up with or besting the field for 18 years now.

18. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    +1

19. wang

wang Formula 3

Feb 23, 2004
    Brunei
    Full Name:
    H. Wang
    Guys today I looked at a XKR convertible and a F type 5.0 S convertible. Both sounded awesome. Between the two which would you guys get?

20. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    I would probably chose the Ftype. Though I haven't driven either, the 510 hp in the XKR might sway me.

21. wang

wang Formula 3

Feb 23, 2004
    Brunei
    Full Name:
    H. Wang
    My wife looks nice in the F type but I look better in the XKR..... Makes sense? :D

22. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    I tend to agree. I've owned a few British cars and have been repairing/restoring them for many years. The newest models are ridiculously complicated.

British car (lack of) reliability is job security for me. I don't expect to own another one.

23. Atlanta355

Atlanta355 Karting

Jun 7, 2008
    Atlanta
    You think a new BMW, Audi, Merc, etc is any better for reliability or less complicated?

24. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I would love to own a new Jag F-type. They look and sound great. FYI, I have owned 4 Porsches, 924s, 911, 991s and 997TTS and they have been the best-most reliable cars I have ever owned. Porsche has been #1 or tied Lexus for #1 for in reliability over the last decade+:J.D. Power's Initial Quality Study Yields Unexpected Results - Business Insider