Steve McQueen's Jaguar XKSS: is it real? | FerrariChat

Steve McQueen's Jaguar XKSS: is it real?

Discussion in 'British' started by bitzman, Apr 8, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Many years ago I went to an auction of Steve McQueen memorabilia in Las Vegas (which consisted of a lot of souvenirs that were worthless like publicity pictures not signed by him( and I remember Steve McQueen's XKSS was being sold. At the time I had a biography of McQueen and it said his first wife, the actress/dancer, gave him a replica XKSS on his birthday. So I was wondering if it was real or a replica.

Then I read that it was restored by Lynx Motorsport in the UK=--the very same folks that make D-type replicas and xKSs cars are based on D-types.
    I also heard the car was sold by McQueen to Harrahs, then bought back by him and owned by him until he died.

So ultimately I am asking do most people agree the McQueen SS is a real car with huge gaps in its owner history? I know we would all like to own a car owned by an enthusist like McQueen but I'd like to believe it was the real thing...

2. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
  3. Gmaccormack

Gmaccormack Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2010
    Owned by Ralph Lauren I think.

4. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    A Lynx is a pretty good replica, but there's no way it would be confused for an authentic XKSS. For one, the chassis and suspension are E-type, as are the brakes.

5. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Mid-state, South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    McQueen owned the real deal back in the day...way before there were any replicas. I think he bought his in the late 1950's....

6. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I saw the car at the Petersen and it was McQueens, or at least they represent it as such. Apparently, it's the only XKSS with a glove box door which Von Dutch made so McQueens sunglasses wouldn't fly out

7. BBL

BBL Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2006
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #7 BBL, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I think Mr. McQueen's car may be in this photo from Monterey a few years back:
    (NOTE: Not my photo, but credit given to CARSUK :))

I believe the gents at Pebble generally know what is real and what is not. Most of the time, at least.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ai0uSj_OVE&list=UUQMELFlXQL38KPm8kM-4Adg]Steve McQueen's 1956 Jaguar XKSS - Jay Leno's Garage - YouTube[/ame]

9. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Formerly owned by Richard Freshman, now part of the permanent Peterson Collection. Given the hysteria over anything with McQueen provenance, this is probably one of the world's most valuable cars. Certainly the most valuable Jaguar.

10. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    One of the worlds great cars.

When Steve was doing the show Wanted Dead or Alive for one year Leave it to Beaver was shot at the same studio. One day between their scenes Tony Dow and Jerry Mathers were playing catch in the parking lot, the ball got away and broke the windshield in the XKSS. They were scared to death to tell McQueen. They said he was really cool about it and just made them promise not to play near his cars anymore.

11. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Don't tell that to any Frazer Nash TT aficionados.

:)

12. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    More valuable than the D-Type that won Le Mans? Debatable...

13. MRG22

MRG22 Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2010
    California
    Full Name:
    Mike Gulett
    #13 MRG22, May 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. JCR

JCR F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    That's a cool story.

15. SkipM

SkipM Rookie

Jun 6, 2014
    Boca
    Full Name:
    Skip Middleton
    Damn right

16. babci

babci Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 19, 2011
    It was purchased by Richard Freshman of Fossil Motorsports fame, a Malibu neighbor and acquaintance of McQueen at McQueen's 1984 Imperial Palace Hotel Estate Sale in Las Vegas for $147,500. According to Freshman the glove box door was fabricated and installed by Von Dutch at the time McQueen owned the car. He confirmed this in conversations with Von Dutch who Freshman had known from his teenage days hanging around Bud Ekin's Van Nuys California Motorcycle shop (where Freshman first encountered McQueen and the car) and later with Von Dutch at Jim Brucker's (another Freshman friend and Harry Miller compatriot)) Santa Paula warehouse where Von Dutch lived out of his bus and worked in his last years. Freshman performed an exceptionally carefully executed preservation directed restoration of the car in concert with Lynx Engineering keeping the original Tony Nancy interior and all other specific McQueen modifications intact after much research of period photos etc.. He then kept it for many years driving it to and from his El Matador Beach Malibu beachfront residence to his shop in Chatsworth California, as well as on late night Malibu area canyon blitz runs and other such entertainment until selling it directly to Robert Petersen personally for the museum in the latter 90s for an undisclosed seven figure number. Current reliable rumor: The Petersen has been solicited many times in the past and most recent times with offers over well in excess of 30 million. Highly doubt it will be ever sold as Freshman made it clear that he sold it to Petersen because of the fact it is a cornerstone attraction for the museum to be shared with the public and due to McQueen being the quintessential LA motor head car guy.

17. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    No gaps at all:

1957/aug - Jim Peterson
    1958/late - Steve McQueen
    (some say: 1958 - Bill Leyden and early 60-ies - Steve McQueen)
    1967/oct - William Harrah Automobile Collection
    1978/feb - Steve McQueen
    1984/nov - Richard Freshman
    2000 - Peterson Automotive Museum