AM V12 Vantage S...... | FerrariChat

AM V12 Vantage S......

Discussion in 'British' started by plastique999, Apr 22, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I've had a V8V and DBS before (both manuals). Felt they were a little underpowered. The V12VS has 565 hp and seems to have plenty of power but I have heard negative reviews on the Sportshift tranny.
    Has anyone driven one? How does it compare to the F1 tranny?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    I drove a V12 Vantage 2 years ago during concours week in Carmel Valley at the AM House, because the DBS and Vanquish test drive lines were too long. The V12 Vantage was plenty powerful. It felt more powerful than my flash-tuned AMG, and much more stable. The car was a manual transmission that was excellent-much more precise than my Ferrari gated shifter. An easy car to Heel-toe downshift. A very easy car to drive fast. I actually passed up someone test-driving a Veyron who was nursing the car on the right side of the street (likely because he was so scared to drive it).

I too have heard many negative things about the poor paddle shifters in the AM vantage. A friend of mine who had a 2009 V8 vantage manual, always said the paddle shifters were rubbish, and I believe I have even heard Jeremy Clarkson, say this as well. Looks like everyone prefers the manual transmission in the Vantage. Though the 2 pedal car is much easier to use for daily use, the 3 pedal Vantage seemed easy enough to daily it...as long as you don't work in San Francisco.

3. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Nice Chris Harris review
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=794j_U6Hau4&sns=em[/ame]

4. Vinny Bourne

Vinny Bourne Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2011
    #4 Vinny Bourne, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. ThePusher

ThePusher Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2004
    I have only driven them on the track... Willow Springs.

The car is a muscle car in a tuxedo. Tons of power... pulls really nicely out of corners and we were generating some very high speeds on the front straight. Great traction, really uses the tires well and the steering feel, suspension is a HUGE improvement over the older AMV12.

The styling, interior etc is the same and outside still looks amazing while interior beginning to look and feel dated.

The one polarizing item on the car is the transmission. Was OK on the track. Definitely old school SMG feel with big pauses in power between shifts... nothing like the really fast automated manuals from other manufacturers and light years from dual clutch systems. But if you are buying into the old school brawler type experience it fits the car (on the track at least). If you are looking for outright speed or technology go somewhere else.

6. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward

This is very helpful...how did you have the good fortune to test the V12VS on track? Did you guys do the Big Track?

I actually don't mind and miss the SMG in my previous M5 and M6. It did feel like a heavy jolt when shifting, but even with the best SCT in the Superfast F1 there's a nice snap to the feel of a gear change.
    I'm not a big fan of the DCT's at the moment so the old school feel may suit me well.

I'll find out tomorrow, as I'm going to test drive one.

7. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    So beautiful.

8. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    How was the test drive? Are you thinking of getting back into an Aston?

10. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I am hoping 3rd time is a charm. I posted a brief review on 6speed:
    So here is how my day went. I was getting over the flu and was about to cancel my appointment but managed to drag my ass to the dealership in Newport Beach.
    As soon as I parked my 16M, I saw the V12VS on the lot in the pearlescent morning frost color, just gorgeous. The car was spec'd very tastefully as it had the rear black graphic, but not the roof graphic. CF everywhere and seemed to have a nice balance of aggressiveness and elegance.

I went on the test drive with low expectations. But I will simply say that the car exceeded well beyond my expectations.

Power: My chief complaint with previous Aston ownership was that the cars were a bit underpowered. Not the case with the 565 HP under the bonnet of the V12VS. Plenty of power and loads of torque. More torque feel than my 16M. I tried once to go quick off the line and I triggered TC so it's easy to break loose with all the power. I drove mostly in Sport Mode and the throttle response was very responsive.

Suspension: There is a 3 stage damping system - I believe: normal, sport and track mode. I drove mainly on the sport settimg which wasn't too stiff. However in track setting, the car is very responsive in handling, pretty much a 1:1 steering input to car turn ratio. Very direct and balanced with little body roll.

Transmission: Here is where my opinion is quite different. I am comparing this to generations of SMG's and F1's in my experience. In short, I was impressed. I am not sure why journalists are knocking the SS III gearbox. As Chris Harris described it, it is clean and smooth. The gear shifts were smooth in that I really didn't feel any lurching. The transitions were quite seamless IMO. I tried shifting both in normal slow driving as well as WOT, and the gearbox responded as I expected it to. Some described lurching on downshifts, but I did not experience this at all. To be fair, I was not aggressive in my downshifts. I was aggressive in up shifts and even redlined the car at one point and the tranny felt great. When driving aggressively, there is a hyper shift which makes the gear changes even quicker.
    The SS III is not as fast as the F1 in the Scud, but it is light years ahead of the SMG's. Normal driving in sport mode was very smooth and comfortable. Of note, I will never drive in D mode, ever.

Conclusion: I will be buying one. To me, this is the Aston that I've been looking for: the dichotomy of plenty of power and torque with aggressive modern styling. The gearbox is not the fastest but it suffices quite nicely with the amount of power it is mated to. For the purpose of a daily driver, this car is perfect for me.
    My dilemma now is which car I'm going to give up for which the V12VS will replace.

11. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Agree 100%, had very similar impressions, never had a problem and did not complain at SMG in my old M5 and Aston's tranny fits the car's character perfectly,IMO.
    I am jealous that you can use that car as daily driver, I only wish I could but it would be not very practical in Chicago climate.
    AWD for daily use and CGT for fair weather fun.......

12. Vanquish80

Vanquish80 Formula Junior

Aug 1, 2011
    Germany,Switzerland
    @butcher
    Clarkson was whining about the paddle shift in a Vanquish a few years ago. Different gearbox than the Vantage and he was stupid and didn't know how to shift properly.

It's sad that his - often wrong - statements are remembered by petrol heads.
    He is a nice entertainer, but in this case, he was just stupid.
    He wanted the car to shift down - the gearbox didn't because if it did, the engine would have blown up. He could have known it before, but he didn't and called the gear box stupid.it isn't...you just have to know how to handle it.

Cheers
    Bjoern
    06 Vanquish S

13. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Great to hear that you liked it very much. Looking forward to the pictures.
    Thank you for the review.

14. Atlanta355

Atlanta355 Karting

Jun 7, 2008
    Atlanta
    My brother has one in England that was delivered about a month ago. He loves it and says in a marked improvement on the 2012 V12 Vantage. Sounds like you made a good decision.

Evo mag also gave it a great review:

Aston Martin V12 Vantage S review: Best of 2013 | evo

15. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward

Working on some numbers and will update if/when the deal happens :)
    Really looking forward to a fun/sporty DD!

Great to hear!
    Yes one of the improvements is the 3-stage adaptive damping system. The car feels so tight and balanced around corners.
    And the loads of torque!

16. ThePusher

ThePusher Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2004
    Yeah. Was a dealer event at the big track. They brought 4-5 cars and we had a blast. Was the best Aston I had ever driven

17. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward

I just found out Aston Newport is doing another track event at Thermal this upcoming Saturday. Price is $395 and AM will supply a V12VS on track among others. I wish I could go, but I have kids soccer game.

18. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    So, what is it that makes this one better than earlier Vantage v12? Meaning, is there a year and or model (S?) that makes the difference? Just want to know for shopping purposes (still have the v12 itch)

19. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Are you thinking about the white one in the pictures?

20. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward

So the main difference between the 2015 S model vs the outgoing V12V's is the gearbox - the old V12V's were all manual which is good for the purists. My past two Aston's were manual, but being spoiled by F1 tranny's, I was looking for a DD that was not manual this time. The V12VS are fitted with a Graziano Sportshift III gearbox. Aston claims there is a 25 kg weight savings with this tranny over manual, but we all know it's just following market trends. The SSIII is upgraded from the SSII's with a dual clutch plate to handle the 457 lbs of torque being that it is a SCT.

Other difference is this model has 565 hp compared to the previous 510 hp.

Another major difference is the 3 stage adaptive damping system: Normal, Sport, Track. This is a real nice feature, as the normal mode is very comfortable and the track mode stiffens up the suspension to the point of real tight handling.

All in all, these 3 upgrades made a huge influence for me to choose it as a sporty fun, raw DD.

21. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward

Yes I was amazed at the Morning Frost white....this is a rare pearlescent white which is different from the flat Stratus white. The one forte of Aston is their paintwork. The salesman mentioned to me that out of the 200 man hours it takes to build one car, about 50 hours is spent on paint.
    I've always admired the pearlescent colors of Astons, just brilliant art work.

22. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming

Thanks, 10% more power, better suspension, better gearbox...that's a lot of improvement! So, only in the 2015 models? But a proper stick shift is out there in earlier models? Cool...I'll add these cars to my "list".

Btw, that DBS you had was so beautiful, and such a bargain at the point you (CNC) had it for sale...it was that car that made me start to think about an Aston.

23. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward

Thanks! I agree it was the most elegant car I owned. Felt like James Bond in that car...problem is that I'm not that classy lol. Yea I couldn't give that car away, I think it was the high miles at 19k, which is nothing. The car was very reliable.

I'm looking forward to a more raw Aston. The V12VS is their fastest production car made save the One-77.

24. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]