Arnage v Flying Spur | FerrariChat

Arnage v Flying Spur

Discussion in 'British' started by 433rdmaw, Apr 27, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 433rdmaw

433rdmaw Karting

Mar 23, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Jack Calhoun
    Have 2008 Ferrari 599 and 2011 Maserati Cabriolet, but wife says buy a four door something.

Found two very low mileage Bentleys: 2007 Arnage and 2007 Flying Spur.

Both are Black/Black with the Quilted interior.

Which one?

Thanks for your thoughts.

2. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    Prefer the flying spur myself with it's updated looks and the fact it appears to have more of the VW/Audi influence.

3. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Arnage is an acquired taste,either hate it or love it,drives like a truck and takes some time living with it to appreciate it.
    Very old school.
    FS drives like a luxury car and will feel easier to live with,it is faster,handles way better and has AWD.
    The back seat has more legroom then Arnage.
    I had both and loved them both, you have to test drive them.....

4. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I've said before that driving an Arnage is like driving a really nice Suburban, and I mean that as a compliment :)

very old school for sure.

I think to the OP, having a 599 and a Maser GT, I'd go with the Flying Spur. I think you'll be much happier with it long term.

5. 433rdmaw

433rdmaw Karting

Mar 23, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Jack Calhoun
    Thank you very much for the information and comments. These cars are a new world to us. Ferraris and Maserati since 1981, but only an occasional Jaquar.

Are there interesting maintenance problems? We live in San Antonio, Texas and do not have a dealership. The closest is in Austin and enjoys a very bad reputation among the few San Antonio Bentley owners that I have contacted.

An independent in San Antonio can do and does maintenance, but does not have access to diagnostic programs.

Thanks,

Jack

6. exoticfan001

exoticfan001 Rookie

Sep 30, 2010
    I can appreciate the "old school vs. new school" debate, but would personally recommend the Arnage. I also considered both but purchased an Arnage becasue the Flying Spur looks and feels too much like other luxury cars. The Arnage was the top of the Bentley range for a reason. A Bentley should provide a true sense of occassion and the Arnage's old-world flavor provides this like no other modern ultra luxury sedan. The Audi/VW connection is great from a technology standpoint, but if that is most important one could just purchase an A8 or Pheaton (or any other mass-produced brand) instead. I have driven many Arnages and they never felt like a truck to me. I have always been amazed that a large vehicle can be so fast, nimble and fun when driven hard. Granted, the driving experience is different from other cars but isn't that the point of a Bentley?

If you are like me, you will enjoy the contrast between the Arnage and a Ferrari or Maserati. Each suits a different mood and provides unique gratification. The Flying Spur is an excellent car, but IMHO does not provide this level of contrast and seems somewhat ordinary. Definately try both and enjoy your ultimate selection!

7. bluedog111

bluedog111 Karting

May 5, 2009
    GTA
    A good Indy vw/Audi service shop should be able to do the maintenance and repairs on the FS.

8. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    I never had a car out of warranty but FS spent more time in service for various little problems.
    Late model Arnage (from 2007 to 2009) were the best, 5 speed transmission, more power and bulletproof reliable.
    If I were forced to use independent service and have the car without warranty I think I would choose the Arnage, simpler and less complicated then FS.
    AWD is not an advantage in San Antonio (lovely place, my son is a Junior at Trinity)

9. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Sooner or later this question was going to come up, and it made me think.

My conclusion is, that I'd have an Arnage in the drive any day, an FS never.

The Arnage is a proper Bentley, an old school Brit bruiser. It's got all the class you'd expect a Bentley to have and more.
    The FS to me is ugly, generic, parts-bin and over-complicated. It shows a badge, but it is meaningless.

Best,

Jack.

10. Vanquish80

Vanquish80 Formula Junior

Aug 1, 2011
    Germany,Switzerland
    Arnage!
    The last true Bentley.

Take a seat in an Arnage and compare it to the FS.

The Arnage drives like an old Bentley, that's what it is.
    The FS is a VW engined FWD car without any spirit - just my two cents.
    I'd go for an Arnage T any time. Classy and timeless
    (Oh and thirsty as hell!).

11. bluedog111

bluedog111 Karting

May 5, 2009
    GTA
    For several years the arnage had BMW engines. Bentley and the arnage suffered thought most of the 00's because it was for sale. if you want a Bentley, I would look for a 90's Turbo.

The FS has a w12 tt engine. There is nothing generic about it. My father has an 07 that has treated him well. It does nothing for me but it is a very nice car to drive.

12. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Arnage had BMW V12 only the first year, 1999 model.
    2000 got back the V8 6.75 with 400HP and was called Red Label, Arnage T with 450Hp came for 2002 model year.
    They were all good except '99 which had no torque and was underpowered vs later cars.

13. bluedog111

bluedog111 Karting

May 5, 2009
    GTA
    Arnage had a v12? I always thought it was a tt v8. Even the BMW engine version.

14. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    you are correct. the Silver Seraph had the BMW V12.

15. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Correct,made a mistake, thought about Seraph,forgot the Arnage Green Label had BMW 740i V8 twinturbo.

16. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    no worries, I saw a Seraph a while ago and couldn't figure out why some idiot put the RR flying lady on their Arnage :eek:

totally forgot about that car (they only made it a couple of years before the RR/Bentley split)

17. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    My wife drives an 08 FS and we lug our kids around in it in the back (with seat protectors). We love it. Very comfortable, plenty of power and 11k reliable maintenance free miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. 433rdmaw

433rdmaw Karting

Mar 23, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Jack Calhoun
    Drove them all, but as old school as it may be, the Arnage was by far the more comfortable, more drivable car especially in the Sport mode.

Thanks for all of the helpful responses.

Jack

19. parthiban

parthiban Rookie

Jul 17, 2013
    Without having driven either the Arnage would be hands down my choice, it's a proper Bentley (well pretty much), the fact it drives better makes it very interesting!

Having said that the Arnage is fundamentally a BMW underneath isn't it?

20. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Agreed. I've driven the Spur, I loved it.

21. markmoon

markmoon Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Completely agree with this assessment. I had a 2005 Arnage and currently have a 2009 Brooklands coupe ( very special and limited edition beast). The Arnage is truly a hand made car. The FS is nice, but not in the same league in terms of materials, hand workmanship or presence IMHO. I drove my Arnage for 35,000 miles over 4 years with little in maintenance. They do eat batteries so a tender is mandatory if it will sit at all. Plus, you are looking at a 2007 which has the updated transmission and 500BHP versus 450 for earlier models, so you are getting the right car.

22. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I agree with the gents that have said the Arnage is the proper Bentley. I would prefer the '07 and later models for the transmission. I was unaware that it had more horsepower. 500 vs. 450.

Please share doe photos when you get it.

The FS is just fine as well. If that's what you want. Not in my future. When they were new I really considered one. The moment passed.

But I'm being drawn to the Arnage these days.

23. Flash G

Flash G Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Pics!!!

24. markmoon

markmoon Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL