Triumph Stag on the British TV. | FerrariChat

Triumph Stag on the British TV.

Discussion in 'British' started by PG1964, May 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    This is the new TV series by the UK Channel 4 dedicated to the most British iconic cars. In the third episode of "For the love of cars" , Phil Glenister tells the story of the Stag:
    For the Love of Cars - 4oD - Channel 4

The historical researches for this episode has been made by the Michelotti's archives, whereof i'm the tutor.

The episode is available in streaming on some websites:
    For The Love Of Cars Season 1 Archives - Watch Full Episode
    Some extras here:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SguVGbudJZY]The Triumph Stag | For the Love of Cars (Online Extra) | Channel 4 - YouTube[/ame]

In the end, the car appeared in the episode has been auctioned by Coys at £17,700.

2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

The Triumph Stag, that was really a car for the dedicated.
    I remember a neighbour having one, second hand, and spending all his week ends fixing it.
    The original V8 went out after a while, to be replaced by an ex-police car Rover V8 that gave up the ghost two years later.
    A 3L Ford Capri V6 was next; the guy wouldn't give up!

When he wasn't chasing the rust on the chassis, he was dealing with cooling problems, ignition gremlins and so on... When everything seemed OK, he was just polishing it.
    He only had a rest when it was raining (he worked on his car outside).

But a well sorted Stag, with some alterations to its cooling, gearbox and an engine professionally rebuilt is a serious piece of kit, mostly if the suspension and brakes have been upgraded with more modern components (larger ventilated discs, nylon bushes, etc...).
    I saw one showing 300hp on the dyno once. It's owner used to race it on hillclimbs against 911 Porsche of the same period.

3. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    The aluminum head would warp; I believe it was a Pontiac unit if my old brain serves me.

4. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    i thought it was the old Buick block

The Stag if you like driving a car with playground set welded into the back seat.

Will the brits ever get it right?

5. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    The Stag engine (originally) was 100% Triumph from inception to execution. It's a 3.0 litre, OHC V8 of a very unique design. The Buick engine was the 215cid whose design was sold to Rover so became the vaunted 3.5 Rover V8, many of which have found their way into Stags, but IMHO the original mill, once sorted is the best way to fly. Nothing sounds quite like it and in these modern times, there are plenty of very knowledgeable folks who can iron out the original kinks and make the TV8 reliable.