McLaren's Future and all things McLaren | FerrariChat

McLaren's Future and all things McLaren

Discussion in 'British' started by lcworld, Jun 3, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lcworld

lcworld Formula Junior

Dec 25, 2013
  2. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    "Flewitt said, and "all models will be hybrids, even if some use a basic form of hybridization." "

:( :( :(

3. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Saw a new 650S at a car show today and it was gorgeous. Also read that Maca just turned a profit after three yrs. I think this company is on the right track.
    J

4. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
  5. MarkNC

MarkNC Formula Junior
    Owner

May 22, 2012
    Full Name:
    Mark
    McLaren is most definitely on the right track. I drove the P1 on the track at Dunsfold yesterday and it is still consuming most of my thoughts. It was absolutely astonishing. Performance like I've never experienced before and that's saying a lot because I drove the the 918 on track a few weeks ago as well.

The 650S is also nice upgrade to the already fantastic 12C. I've got a 12C Spider now and am replacing it with a 650S Spider which is on the way.

While they're a very young consumer automotive company they're clearly learning some good lessons from their sister racing company which has been around in various inclinations since 1963. I think their next car, the more-affordable (that's relative - we're still talking 911 Turbo S money) P13, will be really well executed after a few fits and starts with the 12C and the absolutely amazing P1.

6. smooth

smooth Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2005
    Too bad the 'racing' company doesn't win races !! :(

7. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    Neither does Ferrari!

Joe

8. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Bottom line.

9. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Don't knock it until you try it. Electric/hybrid cars are indeed the future. They make anything with an internal combustion engine as its primary power source seem absolutely archaic.

It is the future and its quite bright. The only thing missing will be that wonderful sound engine make.

Funny thing..I may switch all my gas engine powered yard equipment to battery. Having used a new electric chainsaw, trimmer, and lawnmower, they work really really well. And dare I say better.

10. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Maybe, but I want a choice, not have it mandated (by either government or manufacturers) that I can only buy an electric car.

11. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    You don't have to buy a new car. ;)

I think when these things eventually become a nightmare from a maintenance perspective then a return to pure internal combustion will be on the cards.

All the best,
    Andrew

12. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I don't think that will happen. There are far far less moving parts in an electric motor then a gas engine. How many times have you replaced the fan motor in your furnace? Or the blower fan in your car? They work on the same principle as the electric motors in cars. Just the cars are.larger and more powerful.

13. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    It's not the electric motors that will be the issue, it'll be the batteries that power them.

I gather most cars with hybrid power build the batteries into the chassis, making them difficult to remove. They are also expensive to replace and who knows how long they last. Hybrid or fully electric cars will become electrical maintenance headaches or will become disposable like old phones unless manufacturers are designing the batteries for easy removal and cost-effective replacement.

All the best,
    Andrew.

14. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

They said that about the car vs horse. I'm no advocate for batt powered cars, but they are the future and can be incredibly quick. Who knows what power source will be available in 10-15 years. Just want to live long enough to see it all unfold. Nukes anyone.

15. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I can't see anyone making a nuclear-powered car. I wouldn't like to contemplate what a severe collision could do! :D

That said, you may be right about the batteries. Though I will opt for a traditional combustion engine for as long as I can.

All the best,
    Andrew.

16. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    Yeah I'll prob be happy with 1,000 electric horsepower one day. Just doesn't seem very exciting right now.

I could go for a mini reactor. Keep the house powered while it's parked in the garage... hell probably the whole neighborhood. Changing out the spent rods would cost more than the house though.

17. rkruff

rkruff Karting

Apr 11, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Rick Ruffner
    I own a Tesla Model S. The motor is the size of a watermelon and has no determinable useful life. It lasts forever. As for the battery, it has a 8 year / infinite miles full warranty. It can be swapped out in less than 2 minutes. The car is beyond comprehension. I also own a Volt, a 458 Spider and a SL63 AMG so I am not an electric only kind of guy. The world is changing quickly and electric is gaining quickly.

18. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    As battery tech gets better and better and production increases, the costs will come down. As far as them being electrical nightmares, I don't think so either. You won't have engine heat to worry about making a mess of wiring. You wont have oil leaking on harnesses, either etc. The Tesla's dash is pretty much an Ipad and not much seems to go wrong with those either. Cars and technology have come a long long way.

I can honestly see electronics in cars being operated on a Bluetooth type network in the near future. No wiring harness like we know it today for operating heater controls and other convenience items in the car.

19. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

Just making my boxer and my 930 that much more desirable.

20. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    People say that about everything until 10 years later and it's genius.

21. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Your right. There is going to be a massive shift in the car market. As more and more electric cars become available, costs will come down. Eventually people will think we were stupid for having to put somthing called "gas" into a car.

I think people will look at old cars like old cell phones. Why use an old brick Motorola vs an iPhone?

22. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    I don't think you could be any more wrong. No motoring enthusiast wants a car with no soul. Hybrid is fine but completely electric; no thanks.

Nothing comes close to a naturally aspirated ferrari.

The general populace may look at it how you are envisaging but enthusiasts won't

23. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Correction: Today's enthusiasts wants a car with an NA exhaust note. How about in 25 years when today's enthusiasts are all old or dead and the new enthusiasts will never have even driven an NA V8?

Besides, there are electric race cars that are vastly more raw than any Ferrari. it's very possible to make electric exciting.

An engine isn't making the only useful sounds. Take away engine noise and you hear lots of other noises.

First people said manual would never die; now it's dead. Then they said NA will always be king; now it's on its last legs. Enthusiasts never thought hybrid was any good; now it's the best. Enthusiasts always fight to hang on to the past, but it's a lost cause.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

24. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Definitely, I'll keep my old non hybrid cars

All this to cure Global Warming which is as much a fairy take as Pinnochio

25. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Your living in the past. Electric is the future like it or not. It's so much better. It's so good Harley Davidson has built an electric bike!! That's a customer base you don't want to mess with. But they did it because they know it's the future.

L