80's Rolls Royce Silver Spirit ??? | FerrariChat

80's Rolls Royce Silver Spirit ???

Discussion in 'British' started by Spyker 007, Jun 13, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Spyker 007

Spyker 007 Formula 3

Mar 31, 2008
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    Hi All,

I'm thinking of adding a 1980's RR Silver Spirit to the stable (1987 or earlier because that will save me $1.800 in road taxes per year.
    Meant to be an occasional weekend cruiser. Just for fun

Could anyone advise on what to look for?
    Weak spots on the body?
    Main / most expensive mechanical failures?

Looking forward to read your experiences.

Thanks in advance.

Jeffrey

2. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    To keep it in good order will cost as much as a contemporary Ferrari.

3. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
  4. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Note that I meant a contemporary Ferrari to the '80s Rolls you want, not to a modern day Ferrari. In more detail - more money than a 328, less money than a flat 12.

5. Spyker 007

Spyker 007 Formula 3

Mar 31, 2008
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    Thank you both.

Interesting thread on the restoration.

I see I need to do some more "homework" on them. ;)

Jeffrey

6. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Yes I think you need to tread carefully, that resto thread has some scary rust photos in it.

7. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    The brakes and the AC are big problems. The leather and wood are expensive to refinish

8. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    If you want one of these, buy one in really excellent condition or run away.

Best,

Jack.

9. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good

Just like any F-car... buy the best one you can afford and not a beater that you think you can bring back to life. You'll be upside-down in no time. I lucked-out in finding an ultra-clean '67 Silver Shadow that I take delivery of tomorrow. If there wasn't a local vintage RR-Bentley guru in the area, I might have had second thoughts. Will be tweaking it cosmetically in preparation for next year's RROC annual meet in Orlando. The mechanical aspects, such as hydrolics and water pump have been renewed. Just need to drive it every 7 to 10 days.

10. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    What are the thoughts on an anrnage?

11. Turbo360

Turbo360 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 21, 2011

Bentley Turbo R or walk.

12. somoflange

somoflange Rookie

Jun 10, 2014
    A bit late to the party but since I own a couple SZ cars I thought I'd chime in.

I have an '87 Spur (long wheelbase) and a '90 Turbo R. I think they are both really great cars. The turbo R is built like a tank and handles great. I guess it depends on how you want to drive.

A lot of folks say to look for 20,000 series cars as they have a nice balance of modern conveniences and not too many ECUs. the 1987.5-1989 cars fall into that category. In 1990 they went to an active suspension system and a digital instrument cluster.

I drive both quite a bit, these cars do best when they are driven regularly. I drove my Turbo R 400 miles today while shopping for a Ferrari actually.

Make sure you have at least some history, look for telltale signs of neglect or deferred maintenance just as you would on any exotic car. ratty wood, beat leather and missing tools/carpets are pretty obvious signs. Look for Green Hydraulic fluid leaks. do the "brake pedal test" to see if the brake pressure accumulators are functioning OK. Listen for bushing noises when driving.

Some rust areas Ive seen on SZ cars: rust along the rear below the trunk, or anywhere that water from the wheels hits the body. One particularly bad example I saw once had some serious rust under the rear seat along the back, pretty much invisible unntil the seat was removed. This is not a comprehensive list , just what I've observed.

If you look at a 1990 (30k series car) make sure that the active ride system is working right, and check the functioning of all the ECUs. there are quite a few: seats, ride control, AC, cruise, airbag, security and of course bosch FI are all separate boxes! check for oxidized wiring connections and fuses. doing this can save a lot of time fixing things that may not be broken. Definitely have a look at the main electrical feed wires on the left and right side in the engine compartment. these have spade connectors that can oxidize and get really hot and cause a voltage drop. There are plenty of DIY tasks on SZ cars as well as non-dealer resources but it's always true that you should get the best one you can afford.

I'm happy to answer any Questions about these. I'm here to learn about Ferrari autos before I buy my first one, and I'm willing to share what I know if it helps.

13. Spyker 007

Spyker 007 Formula 3

Mar 31, 2008
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    Thanks all for the input.

I'll take my time finding a suitable one.

The search is part of the fun right?

14. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    No, finding the rusty parts is the fun part.

BTW - as long as you want something vintage and a little bit of a project - you can find a Cloud 2 or 3 in need of care in the high 20s right now - which seems like an incredible bargain to me.

But then I have not paid to restore one - I have a 1995 Silver Dawn with low one owner miles.