2012 Jag XKR Ltd Edition - help/opinions? | FerrariChat

2012 Jag XKR Ltd Edition - help/opinions?

Discussion in 'British' started by beng, Jun 22, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. beng

beng Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    RSF, California
    Full Name:
    Benjamin Galdston
    I am looking at a new XKR but then came across a 2012 XKR "limited edition" on eBay that looks very appealing with only 4,800 miles, the options I want, and it's just up the road from me. Problem is, the seller refuses to show me the car or allow a PPI. He/she will not even call me or let me call him/her. Says he/she is too busy and I should just make an offer. I have never encountered a seller like this and, even though it contradicts everything I believe in when buying a car, I am half-tempted to just hit BIN and then let the negotiations begin. Contrary to common assumptions, BIN is not a binding contract and there is no recourse for non-performance either way but I just find that approach sleazy and dishonest.

Jaguar XKR Convertible | eBay

Questions:

*Does anyone know this particular car and/or owner?
    *Does anyone know anything about the "special edition" XKR?
    *Any opinions on the car and asking price? What would be fair market?
    *Anything I should know about the 2012s and any differences versus current model year?
    *Any ideas on how to get the seller to be responsive/reasonable/courteous?

Thanks in advance.

2. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

I rather like the car...very elegant.

the seller seems a bit an azz.

3. nut4cars

nut4cars Rookie

Dec 8, 2011
    West Side
    Beng,

Nice XKR, but all it is - a Black Pack and Speed Pack car.
    The only special about it is that is most likely an ordered car that someone backed out from. Most likely for lack of funds or credit.

Do not commit until you see it and drive it.

Good Luck!

4. beng

beng Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    RSF, California
    Full Name:
    Benjamin Galdston
    Thanks for the responses. Are you advising against a committing sight unseen because of some aspect of XKR or because of general wariness and common sense? I am just wondering if there is something Jag owners know about living with these cars that the uninitiated don't.

5. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I advise against buying a new XKR unless you are leasing it.

6. nut4cars

nut4cars Rookie

Dec 8, 2011
    West Side
    Like any car, drive it, see it before you buy it.

7. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Jaguar is taking orders for the "Final Fifty" edition of the XK. Last 25 coupes and 25 convertibles.

8. beng

beng Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    RSF, California
    Full Name:
    Benjamin Galdston
    Test drove a used XKR/S last week. Wow, on the noise, looks and giddy up. But, what a let-down on the interior and driver interface. Gimmicky in all the wrong ways and the control screen felt badly outdated.

9. Andrew D.

Andrew D. F1 Rookie

Jul 6, 2008
    Goodwood Ontario
    Full Name:
    Andrew D.
    I hnave a 2008 XKR. lovely cruiser, reliable, great power. Quality interior. Bought mine with 24,000 on the clock. No complaints. I thing jag quality is excellent, totally different than in the 70s.

10. Turbo360

Turbo360 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 21, 2011
    If you're truly after one, start on looking at them on auto trader. Next go to the local cars and coffee and talk with owners who have them. Find an independent Jaguar mechanic or attend an open house at of the Local Jaguar owner clubs and talk with the various owners and tecs who work on them before making an opinion on buying one. I'd suggest shopping around nationally and try to get one new on a deal or one that is on a trade in with sub 5000 miles. It takes time to look around but its possible. at all costs buy one from a dealer under full factory warranty. If you have to go through a private party still have everything checked out but its up to you as well to do all of your due diligents, but the question how much is your time worth if you really want to hear that kitty purr.

11. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    The XKR is a great car. Jaguar is on the ball these days.

I'm just not sure these special editions are really that special unless you love them. They seem it have odd color combos and their infotainment is a bit lack luster but otherwise quality.

12. Andrew D.

Andrew D. F1 Rookie

Jul 6, 2008
    Goodwood Ontario
    Full Name:
    Andrew D.
    Mine is salsa red with black interior. Looks great on that model.