Jaguar e-type low drag coupe continuation! | FerrariChat

Jaguar e-type low drag coupe continuation!

Discussion in 'British' started by ferraripete, Jul 4, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

sure to get a mixed response from the dreamers vs. the purists, jaguar has announced that they will be re-issuing or building a limited production of e-type low drag coupes. arguably one of the prettiest vintage race cars known to man...in my opinion, far more attractive than the 250 gto!!

the price has not been announced yet but it is understood that they will cost less than the $2MM + figure for the real thing. the cars are said to be tool room correct and I assume they will be awarded fia papers and thus be vintage race eligible in several of the less strict sanctions.

I know some will applaud jag for doing this as in some ways, it is the coolest thing an auto maker like jag could do. on the other hand, there will be a great case to be made that this is just wrong and a slap in the face to those owning an original.

keep in mind that there are other companies such as lola, chaparral, and chevron to name a few, that are building true continuations of some of the greatest vintage race cars ever to grace le mans.

currently I am excited about the direction that jaguar is going and this is just one more cool project!!!

what say you?

2. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    I think there is another three on this, and as I understand all are spoken for.

I totally applaud them for doing this.

3. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Personally I don't mind recreations, but a continuation, give me a break. Did they get a blessing for the continuation from Malcolm Sayers grave. Besides Jaguar is no longer a British company it's TATA from India. Aren't copies already available which look perfect. And I do like Jags current direction and cars.

4. Turbo360

Turbo360 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 21, 2011

Talk about micro managers at that place. Might be powered by a TATA motor. If we didn't have many years of horrid electrical and quality to thank Jaguar for cracking on some shoddy and dodgy British engineering humor on :).

Although the Tata managers don't understand somethings about Jaguars racing heritage, just a status marque to own. Once Ford dumped Jaguar you really don't hear much about Jag in Motorsports at all other then some local goober telling people he's pulling 4g's in a parking lot with his kid in the car. ;).

Much to my surprise when ford sold Jag to tata Ford ditch employees with that Tata sale as well. I guess Tata just don't get it about the whole thoroughbred racing heritage at Jaguar, however I'm sure one of their many lemurs who are engineers can tell you how to screw in a light bulb.

Jaguar is being run like a call center in Mumbai.

5. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

these cars are extra numbered chassis' that existed. these cars will be very impressive and taken seriously!!!! tata has jag back in good form.

6. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Not sure why the Tata hate, they have been fantastic for Jaguar. Ok, they are not racing. They are dumping tons of cash into facilities and engineering and have green-lit more programs in their tenure than the past 20 years.

7. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Agree, current Jaguars are the best ever in terms of quality and reliability.

8. thedoc

thedoc Formula 3

May 27, 2009
    back in '63 the plan was to build 18 low drag cars but for many reasons ............. probably cash flow, they built 12 of which apparently 11 survive today . Therefore there were 6 designated chassis numbers left dormant . These 6 are now in production and all were presold to collectors\ vintage racers at time of announcement . The debut is supposed to be the Goodwood revival in Sept . I have my tickets booked!!!
    selling at a million pounds times 6 they may not even break even on these but much better advertising for the company than say a 30 second commercial at maybe the same price or more.

my 2 cents

Gary
    Espada
    63 Etype FHC

9. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

They meant to build 18 they didn't. That is the production number to me, what they built in the original factory, with original components, by the original laborers. A continuation 50 years later, is in my thoughts a recreation. I don't get it and there will be no period racing history to any of these 6 cars. What is the sales pitch from the new owner; Racing History: 4th at 2014 Goodwood Festival of Speed - hardly period correct for a car produced in the early 1960s. Weren’t they to produce 100 250 LMs for homologation and Enzo did some shenanigans, maybe there are 68 original numbers allocated for those cars.

I have/will always love Jags and just sold my 1965 E-Type OTS last December after 14 years of ownership. Some things are sacred to me about Jaguar and their Low Drag E Types have always been a favorite of mine and I don't want 6 more created out of some BS we intended to build 18, we could not, but now we are going to finish the last 6 we could not originally. Am I crazy.

10. Turbo360

Turbo360 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 21, 2011
    #10 Turbo360, Jul 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
    Yes, this is brought to you by a company that ran this for a while as an advertisement :
    Jaguar vs. Chicken | Jaguar USA - YouTube.

Dumping as in canning some really good British chaps for their comrades in India. Yup, just see nothing but quality to come for Jaguar.

That was solely thanks to Ford Motors. Tata would have never bought into Jaguar had it not been for Fords involvement. Ford had the cash to back Jag's entry into F1 and various racing programs. Aside from a new car Jag's have been ok at best but Jag and Range Rover have shorted the market and dealers do not have vehicles to sell.

I'm not in anyway discouraging any ownership of a new jaguar but if you feel the need to frustrate yourself with sports luxury ownership. Rather buy a used Ferrari then deal with any Jaguar product.

11. thedoc

thedoc Formula 3

May 27, 2009
    #11 thedoc, Jul 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
    I am not a Usually fan of these marketing ploys either but quite unlike Ford gt40s being built by someone else and called "continuation" these are in fact Jaguar factory hand builts with all the docs and FIA papers to go along with it . This is a big difference . Also This then allows one to immediately go racing at all the top vintage events with one as its the real deal . Essentially what this is is a brand new factory built vintage car Not a recreation and these guys have so much cash they just don't care what anyone calls it. Problem is really the "old" originals are now so valuable that less and less are seeing track time ?
    Goodwood participants for example race hard and fast and damage occurs . In 2012 watched an original Aston dp214 get crunched and was immediately horrified the guy could allow this to such a valuable , important and rare machine but after I calmed down it occurred to me that this (the continued racing and associated risks) is what should be happening to this car. The damage , although expensive for sure was merely pennies when compared to the value of the car . Suddenly some more real race history racing against period peers as well . As for these new batch of old jaguars many will agree and disagree but the racing will be , as it was in the period , spectacular.

Gary
    Espada
    EtypeFHC

12. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    allocated serial numbers on paper to authentic race car!? hmmmm

13. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

If vintage race cars become so valuable no one races them, that is the rational to build more of the same car. Why not just have some fabricators set up shop and you can order any period correct recreation you like so the show can go on.

I'm quite sure the organizers of vintage events will start to slacken their requirements as soon as the revenue reaches a critical point. Can't do events without cars for participants and for the spectators. Someone will figue this out in short order.

14. thedoc

thedoc Formula 3

May 27, 2009
    I think the difference her is this new low drag is a "factory built " car .
    history can never be repeated and the original old ones will certainly always be worth more . Its their unrepeatable history that defines them .

Gary

15. thedoc

thedoc Formula 3

May 27, 2009
    they already have .
    replicas have been allowed at premier vents such as the revival ans Silverstone classic to name just 2 , for quite sometime now.

Gary

16. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Everybody appears to be printing money these days, so why not Tata?

Best,

Jack.

17. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur

Best,

Jack.

18. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur

Best,

Jack.

19. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    We will have to agree to disagree. Your comments seem a bit jingoistic, at best. Ford brought Jaguar from the brink of ruin of then nearly killed it with the X-Type and starving it for development.

I have owned 3 Jags and 3 Ferraris. The Jag is a much cheaper and less troublesome car to own and operate.

-dsd