New Jag F-type imput | FerrariChat

New Jag F-type imput

Discussion in 'British' started by docf, Jul 26, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Have been looking at the new Jag F-type coupe recently. Any input from members as to quality- likes, dislikes, dealers, concerns?

Docf

2. rkrenek

rkrenek Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2003
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Picked up a Coupe R and it's fantastic. The power is immense and the car just looks amazing.

The infotainment system could be better.

If you join the Jag Club, you can get a $2,500 discount right now.

3. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Tell me more about the Jag club. How long have you had your F type? Any problem areas? I really like the car from the looks and handling aspect.

4. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

congrats...lovely car!!!!!!

5. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    If the trunk/hatch area a lot bigger on the coupe?

I had my Jag in for service last week and got to see a convertible and the trunk on that thing is really small.

6. Jdahlstrom

Jdahlstrom Formula 3

Feb 28, 2005
    Miami, Fl
    Full Name:
    Josh Dahlstrom
    Jaguars infotainment system is always way behind everyone else.

7. azmurciev12

azmurciev12 Karting

Dec 7, 2004
    i have one but only put in about 350miles and left it in the vacation house. the chassis is excellent. you can really feel the rigidity of it. power is excellent and the auto tranny works well. car handles pretty well considering its size. i think it presents very good value and truly an alternative to a porsche. the car is like a refined hot rod.

8. ferraripete

far prettier than the Porsche and you will need to go to the turbo line to get the power that the jag offers.

just wait til the tuners get on this one!!!!

9. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    I've had a coupe R for about 2000 miles. Styling and drive train are the high points. The car is heavy for its dimensions which makes it more GT than sports car. Will not be a good track car due to weight. Suspension is quite firm, even in softest mode. This is nice on smooth roads but can get choppy on other roads. I Would take on an extended test drive if thinking of the car as a daily driver - will be too stiff for some - not as smooth as a 911.

As noted, infotainment system is so so but Bluetooth does work well. Not sure why higher end range rover interfaces not used. Exhaust note in dynamic mode is outrageous - in a good way.

This car is a fabulous effort by jag and a great value, IMO.

10. rkrenek

rkrenek Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2003
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I've had it two weeks. Not long enough for a good review. No problem areas thus far.

The Exhaust note is aggressive and sounds great, but you can turn it off when you want some quiet time.

The jag club is jcna.com & I joined specifically for the discount. You can join the national club for $30.

My wife drives the V8S and it's been a great car. The only issue she had (and has again) was the rear end clunks that can be heard when the top is up. Apparently the issue is caused by a bad strut, not the strut sleeves that others have had done to fix the issue.

I expect the other strut to be replaced this time.

The strut issue does not exist on the coup.

11. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Love the looks of the new F type conv.... Except there is NO room in the trunk! They should call it a second glovebox. Back to the SL or 911

12. rkrenek

rkrenek Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2003
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I'll never go back to Porsche. They don't give a crap about their customers. On top of that the closest dealer sold to Auto Nation.

13. Midnight Oil

Midnight Oil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 29, 2006
    I test drove one

-Sounds, while manufactured, is pretty awesome
    -Strong engine, lots of grunt
    -It draws a lot of attention(for me this would actually be a dislike)

Dislikes:
    - Didn't feel like a true sports car/roaster
    - Very luxurious- This could be on some people likes
    - Even when I drove it in the sports setting, the steering was numb and felt too assisted
    - The throttle response was not crisp
    - Too much body roll, did not feel agile when driven aggressively.
    - I felt too high in the seat position, even with it at its lowest setting
    - I just didn't feel connected to the road and it felt incredibly numb compared to my porsche 981 boxster that is my daily driver.

I think, for someone looking for a beautiful looking and sounding car, not caring too much if it will bring about that true sports car experience, or could car less about tracking the car, the jag could be a strong choice.

14. Intheflesh

Intheflesh Formula 3

Jun 2, 2006
    Salem NH
    Full Name:
    John T
    I had an acquaintance with an F type V8 convertible. Had it for 6ish months and 3500 miles and the motor ceased up. I believe Jaguar is replacing it the motor and buying the car back. (sorry I don't really know any of the particulars.)

He loved the car in the short time he had it, because he has a f type r on order.

15. psorella

psorella Formula 3

Oct 22, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    I drove the f-type convertible in all it's iterations on a race track myself and with a nascar driver. The car is phenomenal despite its weight... My 360 felt old when I drive home...

16. rockminster

Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    I drove the coupe R hard in tight Mtn twisties yesterday. The weight and what feels like a taller center of gravity are challenges if you really want to hustle the car. It's predictable and felt surprisingly neutral - just heavy. The traction control was constantly on and must be calibrated to engage at even a hint of trouble - even in dynamic mode. It was hard to get good launches out of corners bc the TC strangled the power. I tried it with traction control off and bc I could tell that the car was going to be REAL tail happy I decided to wait on that until I can get the car to the track where it will be safer to explore it.

I had an issue with high engine temp readings after a short time using manual mode on a long uphill section while holding the revs. This could be a repair issue as it really wasn't long enough on higher revs to justify an overheat. Once back to auto-sport the temps came down and there is so much torque that using a higher gear really was not an issue.

It was fun to push the car but the weight made it a busy cockpit. If this car could lose 500 lbs it would really be something. As it is, it's a great GT.

17. rockminster

Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    A pic of the ftype and friends.

[​IMG]

18. ferraripete

the tenor of the post sounds a bit disappointing yes?

19. rockminster

Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    I didn't intend to put the car in a negative light. I was more focused on providing a real assessment of the car in tight mountain roads. That is not a venue where the car will shine, especially by comparison to a car like the 911 - frequently called out as a key competitor.

I'm a big fan of the ftype and it's a blast to drive. Lots of personality and a great GT.

20. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    The f type is a beautiful sexy design.