Lotus Exige LF1 | FerrariChat

Lotus Exige LF1

Discussion in 'British' started by texasmr2, Aug 1, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #1 texasmr2, Aug 1, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
    I received an email today courtesy of the Lotus forum I joined a while back and man I love this car but cannot fathom why it will not be available in the US, such a shame.
    Exige LF1 | Lotus Cars

2. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    A future collectors item for sure. I think it looks cool, even though I'm not usually a fan of overkill gold color usage.

3. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Very classic livery/colour. Amazing!

Definitely a keeper.

4. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I am almost certain that a few will make it over the Pond either as race cars or show/shine cars with limited road use. The car is basically an Exige S so maybe the body modifications can be sourced for US cars. Anyway it is a very cool homage to Lotus F1 in my opinion.

Come on Lotto!! lol

5. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    Wonder how dear it will be priced?

JD

6. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Prices start at £62,900.

7. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    Oh Dear

;)

JD

8. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I know! Just over $102K US but since it is not being sold in the US and is strictly a right-hand drive vehicle I did not want to rub more salt in the wound, oops guess I just did.

9. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    That looks brilliant.

10. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Looks awesome! I'm not Exige savvy, but isn't that a hopped up Elise or is it a different model?

11. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    I read it as a farewell, unfortunately.

12. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    It is essentially a coupé version of the Lotus Elise but am not Exige savvy either.

I reread the article and looked for a mentioning of it being a farewell but you may very well be correct. Both the Elise and the Exige are well past most cars lifespans yet I hope they carry on.

13. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    US DOT is the primary reason the Elise/Exige are gone. I am pretty sure there was a limited exemption for the lack of 2.5 mph bumper and I want to say also the airbag systems are not up to current standards, but that may be wrong.

It is of course complete hypocrisy that a consumer/citizen may not elect to drive a car lacking all the latest safety features that do not affect others' safety; yet it is perfectly lawful to ride a motorcycle without a helmet on the same roads.

The US Elise weighed under 2000 lbs when it landed in the US for the 2004 model year, and that was a sizable gain from the prior S1 Elise. I've had mine for over 9 years now and it has been robust, fun to drive and a unique driving experience that nothing else I own offers. The Elise also remains a bargain, with decent cars to be had for the $30K range.

I am not that big a fan of the V6 cars, as they got a lot heavier. I'd rather turbo or supercharge the lighter car.

And this one looks pretty badge engineered without a ton of serious performance work.

Good news is the number of commemorative Lotus F1 victories should remain current for years to come.

14. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    agree, but at 2500 pounds (roughly) it's still one of the lightest production cars around, about the same as the current Miata.

15. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    81 copies of a reworked model for a quick $8 million usd injection. This season's F1 results would lead one to believe Kimi's victory is likely Lotus' last in F1.

Collector's items undoubtedly. Hope I'm wrong.

16. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    If i could fit, I would get one...I tried and no chance..

17. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I think you may be right.

Agreed.

If the prices are currently in the $30K range for an Elise (hopefully a well maintained example) I hope they continue to drop. Logically thinking I have set a 4-5yr range on my next "Toy" so I may reconsider another MKI MR2 for a Elise.

Actually I do not think the weight increased by that much but when we are looking at a vehicle where it's overall weight is the main reason for its performance and driving experience (feel) something is always lost. I would turbo the car as well.

Agreed.

18. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Elige cant come to the USA due to a headlight exemption. Also no 2 stage airbag or side airbag. Basicaly they ran out of DOT exemptions.

My 11 elise is 1975 lbs with full tank of gas and all other fluids.

The new Exige is powered by a supercharged toyota V6 350 hp and weighs closer to 2600lbs. The car pictured is justa special paint and decal version.

You can get an exige V6 in the USA as a a track car only for just under 100k.
    From those who have driven one I have heard its a pretty good 997GT3 substitute minus the great sounding motor, and or that its lost the appeal of the lightness of the last 4 cyl elise exige.

You can buy a decent elise in the high 20's to low 30's. A supercharger can be added for 7.5K bringing you to the low 300hp range which is the reliable limit to the gearbox. Figure a few more K for shocks springs and a few other bits and for the low 40s all in you have amachine thta will pretty much anihilate any street based car on the track at DE events.

Or alternaitively leave the motor stock, do sme suspesion tuning and hone your craft on track using momentum while also enjoying acar that is faster than you need to go on street.

I always say if you only ever had one sportscar car and it was an elise you woudl have missed nothing. Cant say that about other cars.

Headed tot he track tomorrow in mine.

19. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    That's light. I might have to try one now, light cars with revvy engines are always fun cars (no exception)!