[video] Jagar E-type driven hard | FerrariChat

[video] Jagar E-type driven hard

Discussion in 'British' started by AxerJk, Aug 8, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AxerJk

AxerJk Formula 3

Jan 28, 2009
    Livonia, MI
    Full Name:
    Chris Ashworth
    This video really captures the sound well, and some good camera angles too. Driven like it was meant to!

Chris

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JHCPUToTvA[/ame]

2. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    never heard of blipping the throttle on an upshift.

3. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I don't know how necessary it is on an E-Type, but I've had to do it to create a smooth shift on cars with a slow, balky gearbox. My MG TD and a TR-3 I drove once spring to mind. The car in the video is a 3.8 so it likely has the Moss gearbox, which is reputed to be somewhat cumbersome.

The reason is no different from blipping in a downshift. The driver is trying to bring the engine rpms up to where they will match the speed the engine will be at following the shift into the upcoming gear. With a slow gearbox, it takes so long to shift the engine has time to slow back to near idle. With a normal or fast shift, there is no time for the rpms to decrease that much.

Now, if you ever find yourself having to do a double-clutch UPshift, you KNOW you have a recalcitrant, problematic gearbox! Or a properly functioning MG TD, as the case may be. ;)

4. freestone

freestone Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2005
    West Coast USA
    Driver needs to quit leaving his hand on the gear shift.
    Once shifted hand back to the wheel.

Very bad habit. Clearly not raced.

Though I admit I was caught doing that on a lazy drive once.

5. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Moss gearbox is not synchronized, maybe that's the reason for the blips.

Sounds a little "lively" in some shots...more so than my S1 4.2. The over-the-bonnet shots sound more like my car.

Very cool though. I also noticed the "hand on shifter" thing, but I do that a lot as well, so I'm guilty :D

6. thedoc

thedoc Formula 3

May 27, 2009
    I have a 63 etype 3.8 FHC with its oiginal moss box !
    Shifts fine up and down and only first gear has no synchro ! From first to second is normal but from second to first is almost impossible if your moving ? These cars have so much torque however you could drive all day in 2nd and 3rd In the twisty bits? When I approach a stop I simply go from second to neutral and coast to a stop? Fantastic car and no reason to change everything on account of one gear but to each his own .

Gary
    Espada
    EtypeFHC

7. Daryl

Daryl Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Barrington Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Daryl Adams
    I couldn't see the driver's clutch foot to see if he was truly double clutching. To counter the lack of a first/second synchro you double clutch by winding the engine up in first, depressing the clutch while letting off the gas, then moving the shifter to neutral, letting out the clutch, then blipping the engine to spin the gear cluster up in neutral before depressing the clutch again and shifting into second. It's become second nature to me when driving my old Espada with a weak second gear synchro. It sounds to me, though, like he is just blipping the throttle a bit while the clutch is depressed between shifts. That's not the same thing, since the engine won't spin up the gears if the trans isn't connected.

If you remember the famous chase scene in the movie "Bullit" you may recall Steve McQueen double clutching all his upshifts in his Mustang, which was rather a bit of hot dogging since the car was fully synchromeshed. It actually took longer than a power shift would have. Sounded way cool, though.