Rolls Spur - Value Thread | FerrariChat

Rolls Spur - Value Thread

Discussion in 'British' started by Taurean Bull, Sep 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Taurean Bull

Taurean Bull Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2010
    On my way
    Full Name:
    Chad
    Seems to me that there is not much rhyme or reason for asking prices of the Spur IIs I see on the market. Quite a range for otherwise similar cars, and they seem to sit for a while.

I have a couple of friends with these cars, same year, and one is interested in selling his. I have given him my thoughts on value, but I come here asking, what do the British experts feel the right value should be for a 1990 Spur II, desireable color, near perfect condition, up to date maintenance and 35k miles, in the US, is worth?

Further, maybe, like we have in other forums, we can have a discussion about Spur values in general.

Thanks gents.

2. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    I have one for sale. 10K miles, pristine condition, beautiful color combination. Everything works.

Rolls Royce Silver Spirit Spur Dawn | eBay

Asking $45,900. Yes, you can buy much cheaper Silver Spurs, but they will not be in this kind of condition.

3. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    I have the 1995 Silver Dawn (essentially a LWB Spur with simplified interior trim) - bought it seven years ago with 25,000 miles for $44,000 and put $6,000 in back maintenance on AC and Hydraulics.

It now has 40,000 miles (remains in excellent condition) and I value it at $30,000 to $33,000.

The RROC quarterly magazine Flying Lady has a classified ads section which would be a good reference.

4. Taurean Bull

Taurean Bull Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2010
    On my way
    Full Name:
    Chad
    So I suppose the top of the market is established at $45k. Agreement? Dissent?

That's a lot of premium to pay over examples that are not as divergent as the above comment suggests.

5. Darren C

Darren C Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2011
    Chichester, UK
    #5 Darren C, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  6. Taurean Bull

Taurean Bull Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2010
    On my way
    Full Name:
    Chad
    Well, cheap cars can be had here too, and I'd estimate that for your linked car, at about $15k to purchase, you'd still be at rough $20k to actually have it at your door in the US if you were say, on the west coast. Since it also states it needs cosmetics, etc, you're quickly approaching the $30k if not surpassing it. On top of that, it's an awfully expensive flight to look at a cheap Roller. It's more hassle than most would put up with since there are cars here, or the alternative to flying over is buying sight unseen, which introduces it's own problems.

Not saying there isn't opportunity there, but the margin shrinks pretty quickly. A concours condition car, OTOH, would be better.

7. Darren C

Darren C Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2011
    Chichester, UK
    Hmmm,

Shipping is around $1200 (from TGAL) from UK to USA (secure 20' container)
    not sure if you guy's have to pay tax/duty like we do here.

With the internet a zillion photo's and a walkaround movie or a Friendly FChat member (one in the RREC thats a Concours Judge for SZ series cars who's owned a few ;-) look over the car would save any expensive flights.

I still think its a viable option not to be simply dismissed just yet.

8. gerard.hansen

gerard.hansen Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Hattiesburg/Petal MS
    Full Name:
    Gerard D. Hansen
  9. kdf398

kdf398 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Pasadena
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I saw that car on ebay. Looks Beautiful. Congrats!

10. gerard.hansen

Jun 29, 2004
    Hattiesburg/Petal MS
    Full Name:
    Gerard D. Hansen
    Thanks.
    I will post some more photos when it arrives.

11. hans2

hans2 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2011
    Charlotte
    I've observed this phenomenon on the carandclassic.uk site, particularly in reference to Turbo Rs. Are road taxes or petrol prices to blame? Given that the UK has a higher living cost compared to the US , I'm surprised to see such price disparities ... even for other marques like Alfa and Benz.

12. Taurean Bull

Taurean Bull Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2010
    On my way
    Full Name:
    Chad
    You know I've often wondered. Number plates, road tax, congestion charges in L, and astronomical insurance plus of course pricey fuel. I think in some cases the car might be the cheap part :)

13. PollosHermanos

PollosHermanos Karting

Sep 25, 2014
    Chicago, IL
    I'm in sort of the same spot. I have a 1990 Turbo R which is in about the same kind of condition as M. Brandon's Spur with 37k miles. I'd like to sell it but it seems a shame to sell it for what similar cars seem to be bringing....

14. Darren C

Darren C Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2011
    Chichester, UK
    You guy's are absolute NUTS paying that kinda money!!

Here's 3 presentable cars currently for sale here, that to be fair are OVER PRICED in todays UK market.

1982 for $4750 USD

Rolls Royce Silver Spirit 1982 | eBay

1985 for $6100 USD

1985 ROLLS ROYCE SILVER SPIRIT | eBay

1988 for $7400 USD

1988 ROLLS ROYCE SILVER SPIRIT 6750 V8 AUTO RED | eBay

15. Darren C

Darren C Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2011
    Chichester, UK
    Yep, you cant give them away either in UK.

1989 Turbo R for $10,400 USD

1989 BENTLEY TURBO R 4dr | eBay

1997 Turbo R LWB Floor shift fully loaded $13,670 USD

1997 BENTLEY TURBO R LWB BLUE | eBay

As with the Rolls, these are buy it now prices so the sellers are trying it on with these over inflated prices.

16. PollosHermanos

PollosHermanos Karting

Sep 25, 2014
    Chicago, IL
    I can't think of anything more expensive than buying a cheap Rolls Royce.

17. Darren C

Darren C Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2011
    Chichester, UK
    That's a "sellers" opinion.
    It's a Buyers market and these are just UK market values, If I want a cheap Spur or Turbo R, I could get one for £500. ($800 USD) and probably a free second car for spares thrown in.

With the advent of the internet its a Global market only restricted by your own personally imposed limits. All I'm trying to convey is that its worth considering cars that are outside your own back yards to find the best deal.

18. Taurean Bull

Taurean Bull Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2010
    On my way
    Full Name:
    Chad
    Yes we get it. What I see as the main difference between what you are presenting (apples) and what you are comparing to (oranges), is that the cars in the US over 20k are low mile cream puffs, and you are finding THE CHEAPEST Rollers you can with over 100k and rust. Yeah, we have those too (see my previous post in case you've forgotten). Maybe take your own advice and look out of your backyard?

Rolls Royce Silver Spirit Spur Dawn Spur | eBay

19. Darren C

Darren C Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2011
    Chichester, UK
    #19 Darren C, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
    HRH Prince Charles (thats our Queens son) has enjoyed a string of 6.75-litre Bentley Turbos over the years.
    His 1991 model went to auction last year with the estimate set at a princely £14,000 to £16,000 but it fetched only £10,600.

Thats $17,000 USD with the heir to the throne's Royal provenance, Low mileage, Beyond A1 concours condition, serviced and maintained by the Bentley Factory only.

Phew, your US cars must be something REAL special at the price your paying!

Obviously you get my point now on what a GOOD condition UK market value is, not a salvage or fixer upper as you think I'm referring to.
    The only thing that is apples and oranges is the price difference you guys over the pond are paying for good cars compared to good cars here.

I'm actually trying to help and inform you, not argue.

20. gerard.hansen

Jun 29, 2004
    Hattiesburg/Petal MS
    Full Name:
    Gerard D. Hansen
    #20 gerard.hansen, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. PollosHermanos

PollosHermanos Karting

Sep 25, 2014
    Chicago, IL
    In a decade or so when everyone is driving a mini Priii, these cars are going to be very special.

22. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    very pretty car. I've always wanted a Rolls Royce. not as much as a Ferrari but its up there. my ideal is a RR Corniche Coupe in black with bordeaux or blue interior. as spur like yours is very close 2nd for me.
    I think they look so much more classic than the modern BMW Rollers..

23. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    This^^^

This too. That is why I have one.

24. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    2016 will be the 50th Anniversary of the first "modern" Rolls Royce, the Silver Shadow. Hopefully some regional and national-level shows during that period will have special Shadow classes to recognize that milestone.

I'm thrilled to have a '67 in really nice condition. It won't break the bank in getting it ready for the RROC National in Orlando next Spring. If you want to see (or buy) the best state-side Shadows, look at the restored cars Park Ward Motors has listed on eBay. Just superb! Best-in-Show quality.

25. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    #25 GuyIncognito, Oct 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    oh man, they have one just like the Judge Smails car in Caddyshack!

:)

Rolls Royce Silver Shadow Long Wheel Base "LWB" | eBay
    Image Unavailable, Please Login