McLaren F-1 2015 Le Mans 20th Annivesary Reunion | FerrariChat

McLaren F-1 2015 Le Mans 20th Annivesary Reunion

Discussion in 'British' started by BartonWorkman, Sep 29, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    There have been some rumblings about McLaren holding a reunion for ALL of the
    F-1 models to be in attendance at the 2015 24 Hours of Le Mans to celebrate the
    20th Anniversary of their overall victory in 1995.

I've not been able to confirm this independently so I wonder is there anything to this rumor?

It would seem to be a huge logistical task.

BHW

2. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    Nearly a billion dollars worth of cars in one place? I wouldn't think that would be feasible. Huge insurance risk.

3. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Nah, I doubt it. Airplanes worth $300mm+ are insured no problem and it's not like the F1s will be at high risk for loss just showing up. IIRC, Amelia Island a few years back had close to 10 250 GTOs show up or something that high. Most (if not all) rode over together on a ferry. Imagine if that ferry went down. Pic here: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/vintage-thru-365-gtc4-sponsored-vintage-driving-machines/359816-gtos-amelia-island.html

4. Gmaccormack

Gmaccormack Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2010
    I would imagine getting the sultan of Bruni's f1's would be the hardest ones to get there. Or the Mexican drug lords f1 that has disappeared off the map. I really don't see this happening.

5. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Thanks for the messages so far.

As I thought when I originally heard this, the logistics of this would be nearly impossible.

BHW

6. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    there seems to be a great contingent of F1 owners, mainly in Europe, that get together at least once a year...Peleton will know (far) more....but no, I don't think getting most of the F1s together would be a big issue. Hopefully the race cars will be there in full force :)

7. Gmaccormack

Gmaccormack Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2010
    Seeing all the gtr's there is a much more likely situation.

8. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Filing this under rumor until an official announcement is made.

Thanks.

BHW

9. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I'd rather see the GTRs together than the road cars. They GTRs imo look much better aesthetically and historically have more importance even though the road car came first. I could see them getting all the GTRs together minus 09R (Brunei).

10. trmather

trmather Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2007
    Merseyside, UK
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I'd say that the group of 20/25 or so that they've had for the two Owner's Club tours would be what they get, plus a few more longtail GTR's for running on the track.

The Brunei cars will never move, the Mexican one (#039), the one in the Singaporean garage (#021) and all the owners that don't really let their cars out are probably out of the question (thinking a lot of the silver ones from the USA).

30 would be nice but I can't imagine it.

11. trmather

trmather Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2007
    Merseyside, UK
    Full Name:
    Tom
    You'd struggle to get #08R from Bahrain of the 1995 GTR's

#11R appears to be hidden away in Italy somewhere and hasn't been spotted for a while and would BMW let #17R come over from the US if they've got #18R already in Europe for the 1996 GTR's?

#23R hasn't been spotted for a while so would Lawrence Stroll bring it across (presumably with his road car), #25R in Japan and #28R in the US would be wishful thinking as well.

Rest of them in Europe (especially the UK) though and mostly with owners that use them so you'd have a pretty good turnout.

12. amc

amc Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 9, 2009
    old school
    Anyone have pictures with the kevlar fans used on the underside for downforce?