Reasons for Aston Depreciation | FerrariChat

Reasons for Aston Depreciation

Discussion in 'British' started by Graz, Nov 2, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Just wondering why "newer" Aston Martin's depreciate so quickly. IMO the car is a beautiful well crafted alloy bodied specimen. I bought my 2009 DB9 a couple of years ago for half its sticker value with 11K miles. Why do they have such a weak value in todays market? Is it just time and the older it gets values will increase? Or is it the nature of the modern Aston?

2. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    IMO all british cars have a pretty rapid/steady decline. Lotus has/had very similar curves. Modern british sports cars (mostly lotus and AM) have a pretty small following/market. Ask 10 people at random if they have heard of ferrari you'll get a lot more that know ferrari than lotus or AM. IMO its a great thing for people who know those cars as it keeps the entry price low. Very very few people ever make $ on cars...just buy them and enjoiy them.

3. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    I disagree with the brand following argument. Try buy a DB4 and you quickly see how much they cost.
    Aston is well known to anyone watching JB movies which is pretty much everyone alive not blind or comatose.

I think the newer aston have the same issue than other newer Italians: too much electronics and not enough hand made.
    Try buy a lambo murcie now. they are cheap by lambo standard

Beautiful does not mean $.
    I think the run of the mills new db9 or new vanquish will not see appreciation. They just pretty cars that dont fit the old aston mod like the new aventador does not fit the lambo mold or the 458 the F mold.
    Yes they are great cars but that does not make a collectible.

If you want future appreciation look for low volume hand made iconic release that represent the very essence of the factory. That is the car that will appreciate, beautiful or not, high maintenance or not.

4. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    This is just an observation, but I feel exotic/low volume cars in the US suffer more depreciation the less dealer support there is. Hard to convince a buyer to spend hundreds of thousands if they can't get the car serviced in their own town. Ferrari doesn't have a vast dealer network, but Astons aren't known to be extreme garage queens like Fcars so maintenance likely occurs more frequently. That's possibly one of a few reasons why they drop in price so quickly.

5. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    less or a following, bad reliability reputation among british cars, the newer models are always so damn gorgeous they make the older models looks really old.

frankly i wish dbs' would depreciate more rapidly because i want one!

6. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Yeah, the DBS has kept its value (relatively). I'm not sure about the newer models making the older ones outdated. They all look the same to me. :confused: Not to the extent of the 911 for decades and decades, but at least 12+ years now.