JEREMY CLARKSON ON MGS | FerrariChat

JEREMY CLARKSON ON MGS

Discussion in 'British' started by FerMaz, Nov 14, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerMaz

FerMaz Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2007
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mel
    i THOUGHT YOU GUYS MIGHT LIKE TO VOICE YOUR OPINION ON THIS ISSUE. I HAVE DRIVEN MY 49 MGTC FOR THE LAST 35 YEARS AND IT IS SUPER RELIABLE. IT IS ALSO A CAR THAT JUST ABOUT ANYONE CAN WORK ON. AFTER READING CLARKSON'S ARTICLE I DECIDED TO SHAVE MY BEARD OFF.

MEL

"Now, you and I know that the old MG was a gutless bucket of rust that leaked every time it rained, broke down every time it was cold an overheated every time the sun put his hat on....

However, our bearded friends don't see it quite like this. These people actually enjoy the frequent breakdowns because it gives them an excuse to get under the damn thing.

And then, in the pub that night, they can talk liberally about exactly what went wrong and precisely how they fixed it. To you and I a track rod end is very probably the dullest thing in the world, but to an MG Man it is a steel deity, an almost religious icon, and automotive Faberge egg.

MG man can talk about a track rod end for two hours without repetition or hesitation. An the only reason he stops after two hours is because you shot him....

They'll recall a conversation they once had about track rod ends and will assume that you're about to do the same....

...if you walk into the pub brandishing an MG key ring....Other people at the bar will conclude that you have a Seventies Midget in the car park and that you're about to regale them with the interesting tale of how you adjusted the timing that morning. The will all feign illness or urgent appointment so that they can get out."

2. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Honestly... I think it's pretty funny. Of course he overdramatizes everything for entertainment value. There are guys who exactly fit this description - I met many of them when I worked in the spares business back in the '80s.

As far as the facts, there is some truth to MG owners being proud of the "easy to work on" angle, whereas the new McLaren owner probably couldn't be less interested in turning his own wrenches. (My MGB was a lousy car, but it was of a different era than the TC so maybe British Leyland had ruined them by then.)

3. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    He was not referring to the TC. That was a proper car.

He meant the MGB or Midget.

4. FerMaz

FerMaz Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2007
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mel
    I really think he was referring to all the MGs because honestly they all had somewhat similar problems. The electrical system Lucas they used was referred to as the Prince of Darkness. I was not offended by the article and really did find it funny. There is a cartoon of two peope in a hospital. One owns a toyota and is in bed reading a magazine. His roomate owns an MG and is under the other bed with all kinds of tools spread out over the floor.

I thought Clarksons article would be a fun read.

The TC has its problems> its hard to steer straight. If you steer it to the left it may wander to the right and if you steer to the right it may wander to the left and if you want to go straight well who knows. Thats why so many have had their steering system replaced by a volkswagon or mazda one. The brake drums dont stop the car well and a lot of owners have replaced the orignal drums with alfins or mazda drums. As far as speed it may get through the quarter mile going downhill with a stiff wind behind it.

But with all of these problems the car is really fun to drive and once the changes have been made it is somewhat reliable. You just have tos be religeous and pray a lot when you drive it.

I guess I pray a lot because I have made all the changes and the car has not let me down. Well maybe a couple of times. LOL