D-Type Replica...anyone know the differences in manufacturers? | FerrariChat

D-Type Replica...anyone know the differences in manufacturers?

Discussion in 'British' started by billh1963, Nov 26, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Mid-state, South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    It looks like there are several D-type replica manufacturers. Anyone have some insight on which are the best and which are the worst?

2. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
  3. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    Thank you for the link. I should clarify that I'm asking about the several replicas out there that are more "mass market". Not necessarily inexpensive; but, not bespoke.

4. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    most of the nice ones i have seen for sale are Tempero... not sure if that is the same exact shop.

5. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
  6. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    lynx is another

7. thedoc

thedoc Formula 3

May 27, 2009
    Lynx D types were tool room copies and a very exacting copy indeed . Some actually used authentic parts and as such they have been appreciating in value . A good Lynx D can run 250k POUNDS!!!
    Proteus is another company that has seem to have blossomed in the back pages of the British car mags these days and look like a real bargain as compared to the real deal .
    I would say it really depends on what your looking for. If you wish to race at classic events and have this car qualify for historic competition then you will need one with a much higher price point like a Linx . If what's under the skin is not so important then
    Maybe Proteus would suffice.
    During this years Goodwood Revival many Mfgrs were present and my favorite is always ASC . They make a turnkey Aston martin DBR1 like the '59 lemans winner based on a jag 4.2 running gear with 5 speed and Aluminum coachwork . All in 125k Sterling pounds . very good Price actually if you consider this is a handbuilt aluminum street legal race car.

Good Luck in your decision

Gary
    Espada
    EtypeFHC

8. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    No racing or anything like that... Just appreciate the beauty of the D-type.

I see cars/kits by jaguarreplicas, TWR, Realm Engineering, Lynx, etc. what I haven't really found is anything describing the strength and weaknesses of each manufacturer.

Thank you for the input so far!

9. richardson michael

Aug 17, 2013
    brittany. france
    Full Name:
    michael richardson
    Bill Don't want to put a dampener on this,however,my comments are,I have seen ,in the UK,a number of Lynx D Types. They are as close to the original as you can get. Furthermore,I believe ,an appreciating asset,which is more than you can say for most replicas. They are expensive,but with 'D's fetching up to £4 million,a good substitute.. I have looked at the posted pics from your american repro man,and you know what?...there is something wrong in every example that screams out wrong, wrong,wrong. Otherwise,they are not bad.

10. thedoc

thedoc Formula 3

May 27, 2009
    here's one for a whopping 450k sterling

Gary
    Espada
    Etype

11. thedoc

thedoc Formula 3

May 27, 2009
    And here's a Proteus for a paltry 287k euros....

Gary
    Espada
    EtypeFHC

12. thedoc

thedoc Formula 3

May 27, 2009
    And at the other end of the spectrum for those who enjoy tossing money away , almost 50 thousand euros to be exact .....
    the only thing louder than the exhaust on this little number would be the laughter of the crowds who would inevitably gather to witness this joke on wheels .

just sayin ....

Gary
    Espada
    EtypesFHC

13. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Another point:

Drive them. They each have slightly different characteristics.

You might also not like the low-cut windscreen. As ungainly as the XKSS cars wre, they were practical. Wind blasting in your face at any fun speed spoils your fun; you don't wAnt wind in your eyes to slow you down.

Matt

14. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    That looks sad...