Rolls Royce daily driver? | FerrariChat

Rolls Royce daily driver?

Discussion in 'British' started by fraserrcraig, Jan 8, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fraserrcraig

fraserrcraig Rookie

Dec 22, 2014
    America
    Full Name:
    ä
    I have been thinking about purchasing a used Rolls Royce ghost for around £100-120k instead of spending £110k on a brand new RR Vogue Autobiography 4.4 has anyone ever had one and knows anything about being a daily driver? also thinks such as servicing and reliability :)

Lemmyla likes this.
  2. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Moved to the British forum, should get more replies here.

3. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    BMW mechanicals, German engineering where it matters, makes the car as reliable as any 7 series or S-Class.
    Had a rental (12k miles on the clock) for a month in LA couple years ago, used it the same as I would an MB, a very "normal" experience, becomes just a car after a while although very comfy and cossetting in daily use.

4. fraserrcraig

fraserrcraig Rookie

Dec 22, 2014
    America
    Full Name:
    ä
    If it has a reliability of a BMW then it should be okay to buy one that has around 35,000 miles on it then :) sounds a good option, also thanks to Simon for moving this to a more popular forum.

5. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Why not buy a much cheaper 7-series then? It seems like quite a premium for a rebodied BMW.

All the best,
    Andrew.

6. Ray G

Ray G Formula 3

Sep 8, 2005
    Newport, RI
    Have you considered a Bentley GT? I know a bit more commonplace but I find it is a far more enjoyable car to drive. I put over 60,000 miles on mine, great car.

7. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Electronics, drivetrain and floorpan mostly.
    Does not make it a "rebodied" 7 series, drive both and you will have completely different experience.
    Even using so many BMW parts, it is still a real Rolls Royce.

8. fraserrcraig

fraserrcraig Rookie

Dec 22, 2014
    America
    Full Name:
    ä
    My issue with bentleys is the crazy depreciation figures on them, I know if I have a Ghost that I pay around £120k for I will be able to sell it in 3 or 4 years and probably get £80-90k for it but a Bentley on the other hand scares me! I don't really want to pay £120k and end up with a bad sale price not got enough money yet! also they are quite common and a used Ghost is probably still cooler than a new Bentley :) Although a 7 Series probably does make sense for the cost of one but I would much rather be seen in a Rolls Royce than a BMW and I am not a egocentric person trust me.

9. Attitude928

Attitude928 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
  10. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    The interior appointments are way more expensive. The real wood veneers on the dash, take several weeks to make. All the switches are custom, not BMW parts bin items. They feel like metal over plastic. Even the leather is above BMW. Carpets higher thread count and more supple.

I'm actually a Rolls Royce Silver Spur owner and member of the Rolls Royce club. Only a handful of Ghost owners on the club forum. But they all seem to love them. As said its basically a BMW underneath, so about the same reliability of a 7 series.