I want a Sunbeam Tiger--I think | FerrariChat

I want a Sunbeam Tiger--I think

Discussion in 'British' started by Yoric, Jan 27, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Yoric

Yoric Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Yoric
    So, my MGA, even with an 1800 B motor is...well a mite slow, even getting to the local C&C ten miles from my house. So where do I start looking for a Sunbeam Tiger, other than eBay or CL? Not looking for a pristine or even original car, just a nice, rust free, presentable driver Converted 4 cylinder cars would be especially appealing. I'm more into philosophical period upgraded cars than fanatically restored garage queens. To each his/her own, of course. Suggestions, comments and advice eagerly awaited.

2. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Try Hemmings. I would love a Sunbeam Tiger - might call that a "poor man's Cobra", it's an awesome ride for sure!

3. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    California Association of Sunbeam Tiger owners has a good site w/cars for sale.

4. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

they have become quite pricey for a good one!

5. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Hasn't everything these days.

I have a hankering for a Triumph TR4A or TR4A IRS to throw down in FL house. They have become nuts for a nice one :-(.

6. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    One for sale in Ferrari Chat Ads :)

7. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Also one on BaT today....

8. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
  9. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    This car on Bring a Trailer is Very Very Scruffy. Car has been hit. Bondo in the lower areas of the car etc...

10. PowerbyFord

PowerbyFord Rookie

Aug 27, 2012
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    David
    Have had one. and a very fast Kirkham cobra clone . . .among other things.

Current daily driver? Miata with 302 Ford power. Handles better than a Tiger, stops better and is a very incognito ride. Tiger? People will bother you constantly, as they do with a Pantera.

If you want a Tiger, only a tiger will do. If you want a fun driver, think Miata V8!

11. Yoric

Yoric Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Yoric
    OK, now you got my attention, prompting the logical question: where do I find out more about this late model hybrid (begging the pardon of greenies here in Boulderville). Are there conversion kits, forums where they are discussed? And, finally, it looks like any Tiger worth owning is going to be somewhere in the $40-60K range which is probably more than I have in mind for a semi daily driver.

12. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Miata.net classifieds has some ls conversion miatas. Zero experience with them, but it's a place to start digging around.

13. Yoric

Yoric Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Yoric
    Here in Colorado, the greater Denver metropolitan area, we hve to contend with those pesky and unavoidable emission tests. Can a V8 Miata pass a post 1975 emissions test without the hassle of having to explain to the Gomer at the e-test station that the modifications are fully compliant and therefore legal? This has been a major obstacle in my search for a fun, stealth and powerful daily driver.

14. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner
    C.A.T. Home Page

Join the forum. It is a great group of Tiger fans and owners.

Since you are in Colorado join this club. Colorado Association of Tiger Owners

A couple of good websites with info are.

Sunbeam Tiger

TigersUnited.com

ClassicTiger: Welcome to the Classic Tiger Website!

When I was looking to buy a Tiger, I found one in CO. A CATO member volunteered to check the car out for me since I am in CA. I appreciated the advice I received.

I've now owned my tiger for 13 years. I enjoy it a lot. I has the looks and charm of a LBC (Little British Car) and the heart of a muscle car.

They have their quirks and compromises but at the end of the day it is a real, collectible car that has tripled in value since I bought mine in 2001. You will never be able to make that claim about a V8 Miata or Cobra kitcar.

Join one of these groups and learn about the cars. It is very easy for a newbie to be taken in by an "Alger" . Algers are Sunbeam Alpines with an engine transplant with a Ford V8 and the ID elements of a rusted out or wrecked Tiger. They made 19,000 Alpines and 7,000 Tigers. You don't want to pay Tiger prices for an Alpine

15. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    In Colorado you MUST contact Flyin Miata a tell Bill Cardell I sent you. Simply the best engineered aftermarket Miata business and having owned 10-ish Miatas over the years I think I have a basis for my opinion.

16. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller

You need a friend outside the Denver metro, Pm me if needed.

17. smooth

smooth Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2005
    I owned one in 1965! ... traction-masters, LAT aluminum wheels, Holly 4bbl, Spicer® limited slip rear.
    Loved it ! :)