Rolls Royce Camargue: are they worth the powder to blow them up? | FerrariChat

Rolls Royce Camargue: are they worth the powder to blow them up?

Discussion in 'British' started by bitzman, Feb 17, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Now that I found out how rare they are, under 600 made, they are more appealing, just rebodied Silver Shadow with Pininfarina designed body but actual coachwork stamped out in Britain.
    They were all coupes except for one hardtop convertible converted afterward , and that is a great car (white, red interior) I have seen at the La Jolla concours. (aside: how much did that conversion cost? I can't imagine less than $250,000!)

I think the coupes must be down to about $20,000 or less because I can't see any of them showing up at auctions for lack of demand.

And to think when they were new they were 10,000 Pounds Sterling more than a Phantom VI, a truly coachbuilt Rolls!

Also there was some dumb Chevy two door coupe in the '70s that copied the Camargue side profile but I can't remember what one. Will anybody admit they owned that model? That's like a rowboat painted with the letters QUEEN MARY trying to make you think it's the cruise ship.

2. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    True on the low numbers and being re-bodied Shadow II's. Actually the Silver Spirit and Spur are also Shadow II's underneath.

The Camargue is actually a popular car in the Rolls Royce club of America. I don't know why. Its ugly styling and interior looks thrown together. But price wise, they are high compared amongst the Shadow and Silver Spirit and Spurs of the 70's and 80's. More inline price wise with the Corniche. I'm excluding the Phantom V from the equation.

If you can find them at $20k and below, give me the leads, I'll buy them all day long.

be interesting to see what this one does at auction: 1979 Rolls-Royce Camargue offered for auction | Hemmings Motor News

From the ad you can see the body and interior wasn't Rolls Royce's finest moment.

On the private Rolls Royce club forum I've seen these from $30k all the way up to $80k. Only Rolls people seem to appreciate them, except me.

3. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I dig them. They have a presence that the typical cheaper Rolls Royce autos don't have. However, one will never grace my garage, because the repair costs frighten me.

4. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    I had a car dealer friend who had one, it was in his personnel collection. Drove it once, was disappointed in how it drove. The gauge placement looks like someone outside of the factory tossed some gauges on the dash. Does look good.

Surprisingly, Rolls Royce people who buy cars of the era, like Shadows and Spurs, they seem to like these above even the Corniche. Its the most collectible of that era's Rolls Royce models, outside of a Phantom of course.

5. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles

I owned one once when they first came out.
    Not a bad car actually.

6. ghosthunter

ghosthunter Rookie

Mar 25, 2015
    Hello Guys, I have to disagree with "Zudnic" about the Camargue being re-bodied Shadow II cars, they are not and were developed before the Shadow II was introduced in early 1977. The Camargue came out during 1975, only the later cars have similarities to Shadow II, regards running gear.

GHOSTHUNTER.

7. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    #7 zudnic, Mar 25, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
    It shared the same platform as the Shadow and Corniche. It received updates in 1977. It became basically a Shadow II underneath from being a Shadow I.

The only difference from a Shadow I to II platform wise was the addition of rack and pinion steering and some modifications to the front suspension to get better handling. Something lacking in the Shadow I. Other then that its the same platform and Rolls Royce added these updates to the other models in 1977.

Non platform additions to the Shadow II, it got a new dash design, updated seats, new bumpers.

8. ghosthunter

ghosthunter Rookie

Mar 25, 2015
    Correct, shared the same platform as the Shadow I (which is not officially known as Shadow I, its just Silver Shadow), so no Camargue upto 1977 can be classed as based on Shadow II. you meant to say or should have said Silver Shadow, leaving out the Series 'II' 'Tag'.

GHOSTHUNTER.

9. cptndon

cptndon Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2005
    Annapolis
    I owned an '80. Can't say I enjoyed the driving experience. I was intrigued that it was designed/styled(?) by Pininfarina. They used similar design elements on the Bitter and Ferrari 365/400.

If anything it was different.

10. Attitude928

Attitude928 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    #10 Attitude928, Apr 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017