Ariel Atom + Texas DMV no bueno | FerrariChat

Ariel Atom + Texas DMV no bueno

Discussion in 'British' started by tundraphile, Feb 28, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Seems in light of the Polaris Slingshot hoopla with Texas not allowing them to be registered, they are looking at other similar vehicles and tha Atom is now in their sights.

New ones will not be registered and owners of previously registered Atoms are being ordered to turn in the plates.

Who would have thought It would be easier to operate a vehicle in Kalifornia than "freedom loving" Texas?

2. jonack

jonack Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2007
    Berkeley, California
    Full Name:
    J. Clark
    Yea for the Christian conservative republicans running the Texas state house! Hip hip hoorey! Go for it Gov Abbet! At least in Texas you can carry a gun!

3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Any clue as to what the state's issue is?

4. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    Gosh its sad to see whats happening to Texas,,, Lived there 20 years and love it.

Soon you will be like us up here in Colorado, ran over by Californians and restrictions..

5. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    That sucks to hear. Move to Florida...no one here cares as long as you pay the tax and title fees. Not uncommon to see Ariel atom like cars or obvious illegal imports from Japan that weren't converted to epa/dot specs running around. There's even an Indy car converted to road use.

6. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

That is the Florida I know and love. When I was in college there, they had a tourism slogan "Florida, The Rules are Different Here." Being smart alecks, we'd invariably append "There are No Rules Here!" :)
    T

7. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    People leave one state and move to another to ruin.

8. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    There are street legal VW dune buggy rails running around.
    Even considered getting one because the fun vs dollar ratio is out of this world.
    Are these affected ?

9. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I wouldn't say "Californians," I'd say progressive liberals. Don't let your politicians do what they've done to CA. Fight back, before it's too late like us.

10. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    #10 leead1, Mar 1, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
    I have my Ariel Atom registered in Florida. Florida did require an inspection of the car. Since their are so many in the State 3 cars at the time, they gave me a plate.

Texas may have a requirement for the car to be registered. There was an exhaust plus an emergency brake requirement.

I would call The Atom factory and they can tell what you need. a lot of these extras are optional. Your car may not have these. I am sure they will help you. They do not want to lose Texas for sales. You can most likely buy the kit to make yours legal.

As a side bar these cars are made with an MDO not a Vin number. MDO means "manufactures direct order" so the state has to issue a Vin.

Good luck

Lee

11. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    This was retroactive. On another forum the owner (also Ferrari owner IIRC) said the car had been registered for three years without problems, now Texas is basically saying they should have never issued a plate to start with and he must surrender his plates.

12. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    agreed.

It happens all over the country. Its almost as if people from the other states leave their home state because of the bureaucracy.... and then they implement it again in their new state. Drives me nuts.

It happens alot here in Arizona... some of the nut jobs from California migrate to Arizona and then ruin things.

13. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    As a scientist, I know a lot about atoms, but I know next to nothing about Ariel Atoms. ;)
    Interesting design. Seems there is a dealer up the road a piece (ca. 150 miles) from Dallas in Wichita Falls.

So, do the rules change if you build the car yourself versus having it come from the dealer pre-built, in terms of it being street legal?

T

14. CP Shrl

CP Shrl Karting

Feb 27, 2014
    Dallas/Dubai
    Last week I received a fabulous letter in the mail from the Department of Public Safety asking me kindly (or well demanding me) to mail them my title, license plates, and registrations stickers to my Ariel Atom.

Note : Location - Texas.

I purchased this little guy to putter around town in and run some errands or head to lunch in on occasion. Not as a track toy. Has anyone here any experience registering a vehicle out of state to get around staunch regulations in their home state?

Apparently some Texan oil tycoons son was just killed in his Ariel Atom in SoCal which has led to this highly disappointing outcome. My condolences to the family however not the correct fix to an emotional grievance.

Worst case scenario... Anyone looking for an Ariel? Ariel Atom 2 245HP Variant 2006 import titled in 2007 for the first time.

15. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
  16. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Any particular reason that they are citing the removal of the vehicle from the street?

17. CP Shrl

CP Shrl Karting

Feb 27, 2014
    Dallas/Dubai
    To the above poster thank you for the link!

As far as your question. It states the plates were never intended to be issued and that the vehicle is a hazard to other drivers...

I wouldn't think a 1,100 pound car 36 inches off the car is going to do much to another vehicle's inhabitants! Then again I do like doing some pretty stupid stuff in parking lots on occasion :)

18. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Ariel Atom is a Sherman tank compared to a crotch rocket.
    Are those illegal now too ?

You know.. safety being the highest priority and all.

19. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    #19 Turbopanzer, Mar 15, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
    My reason for asking is that I am a PA State Inspection mechanic. I hold all the licenses here in the state including a Reconstruction/Special vehicle license. My point to this is that federal law determines what can or cannot be allowed on US Highways. If the state of Texas has a special vehicle provision in the rules (and I believe it does) you may need to see a Texas State inspection mechanic and have the vehicle certified before the re issuing of tags and title. Since salvage vehicles are permitted on TX highways after complying with the reconstruction laws, you may find the same provision for your vehicle. I would reccomend you check with the TX Dept of Public Safety and speak with them. It simply may mean a special vehicle title and a inspection to verify the vehicle meets safety standards.

http://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/vi/index.htm

20. Extreme

Extreme F1 Rookie

May 26, 2010
    Northern Utah
    Full Name:
    Erick
    I fail to understand how the state of Texas can say no to the Ariel Atom however motorcycles are perfectly acceptable. I love Big Brother in all aspects of my life.

21. DrewH

DrewH F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Ariel Atom's are awesome I'd want one if I could drive it on the street in Canada.

22. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Why not get it registered as a firearm. Texans love firearms!

23. nickmb

nickmb Karting

Dec 11, 2013
    Austin,TX/SoCal
    Full Name:
    Nico
    lol

This is quotable!

24. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Can you still build a kit car in TX, like a Factory Five? If so can you "rebuild" an Ariel?

25. Pass

Pass F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 29, 2008
    Salida Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Passarelli
    Is this not a taking of property without compensation? WTF?