Lotus Elise & Evora same price? | FerrariChat

Lotus Elise & Evora same price?

Discussion in 'British' started by David Lind, Mar 17, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    With clean, low-mileage Elise prices going up, and with clean, low-mileage Evora prices going down, will we soon see equilibrium? An Evora w/ under 10,000 miles for $45,000 seems like a great temptation!

2. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Interesting; very different cars IMO, the Evora being more usable and the Elise the extreme featherweight track star.

3. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Can anybody comment on how an Evora S would compare to a Ferrari 360? Both are on my radar for possible purchase in the future.
    Thanks,
    Greg

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

4. Flash G

Flash G Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    #4 Flash G, Apr 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The Elise, and the even more rare Exige will only appreciate as they're no longer sold in the U.S. and they're a unique type of car not made by anyone else. The only thing that comes slightly close is the Alfa 4c. But even that seems like a heavyweight compared to the Elise/Exige.

I'm personally hoping they appreciate even more.

;)

Elise in front and Exige in back:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Atlanta355

Atlanta355 Karting

Jun 7, 2008
    Atlanta
    I have an Evora and owned a few Ferraris beforehand. Average person thinks they are both exotics. In reality only the Ferrari is for good and bad. Evora S is more practical if you are going to do a lot of miles. Its also way cheaper to run, faster, better handling and more reliable. Ferrari is an event to drive and has much more character. A stick shift 360 is also appreciating.

I don't think you can go wrong with either just make sure you know your requirements before purchasing.

6. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Thanks Atlanta355, I appreciate the info. So an Evora S is faster than a 360? Wow. What's this I hear about Lotus possibly going out of business?
    Greg

7. Atlanta355

Atlanta355 Karting

Jun 7, 2008
    Atlanta
    #7 Atlanta355, Apr 6, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
    Probably some people will quote figures and say a 360 is quicker but I think on a road or track with curves or any bumps a Evora S will kill pretty much any car, certainly a 360. I would not let be the deciding factor however. Its really what you want out of a car.

Lotus is always going out of business :)

8. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Ha! Thanks. I'm tall at 6'3". Will I fit in an Evora?

9. Atlanta355

Atlanta355 Karting

Jun 7, 2008
    Atlanta
    Not sure, I would check out Lotustalk as they have a very active Evora forum with a good few owners of Ferraris on there as well.

10. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Very good, thank you. I currently own a Ferrari 328GTB and considering cashing it out and moving on to something else.

11. Flash G

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    They're both "exotics". The Evora S is high performance, has an exotic design and is very rare.

12. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    at 6'5" I fit fine (and fit fine in my Elise when I owned it).

13. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    How reliable are the Evoras? I love their looks, their performance seems great, they're exotic in terms of how often you see them around, and Lotus people seem to be an enthusiastic and knowledgeable lot, but some of the reliability issues that crop up on Lotus Talk really gave me pause when I was thinking about them....T

14. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    ^^THIS^^

I'm on the fence lately regarding making a relatively inexpensive fun semi-daily driver car purchase. I keep looking at things like various 911's, Aston Vantage, DB9, 456, etc. I have always liked the look of the Evora. I did a bit of preliminary digging, and basically scared myself out of looking at them. And this is coming from a guy who owns a 355, which any reader of the internet would immediately run away from screaming.

I would love to hear some real-world scoop on them, as they are now at a very tempting price point, and I love the idea of something that fun and that good looking, with back seats, that isn't a 911 (no offense, love them, great cars, want one, but I am just more drawn to stuff you don't see at every 3rd stoplight).

15. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Hey Nathan.... Where in Mississippi do you see a Porsche every third light? Maybe an old Cutlass Ciera, but a 911? Just kidding; I lived in Memphis. ☺

I love my 911, but depending on where you live, certainly they can be common. Maybe get Porsche reliability and a bit of differentiation from the crowd by getting a less common color combo? Maybe speed yellow or Guards Red 911?

I'd be very concerned about owning a Lotus without a dealer or top-notch indy nearby. But, then I'm not very handy.

Of the cars you listed, I'd choose the 456. That's on my radar, once my garage issues are sorted. And, it's a Ferrari, so not common....T

16. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Hattiesburg. It is apparently the 911 capital of the South. Just off the top of my head, and just of guys I personally know locally, I can think of four 997 and 991 turbos, a 991 GT3, four or five 80's models, a 964 turbo, a 996, and three regular 997 or 991 Carreras. Our local cars and coffee could easily be mistaken for a PCA event. ;)

17. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Wow. I drove through Hattiesburg a few times when I lived in Memphis. Post pics when you decide on a new car....T

18. Flash G

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    I was just reading a thread over on LT about how the Evora clutch is a $9000 job to replace :eek:.

I guess the engine has to come out. That would scare me away from one.

19. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Yikes! Me too! Wonder why auto designers don't take this into account-future service costs. But that's another argument for another day!
    Greg

20. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan

Holy crap!! That's nuts. Do you know if that was a clutch on the manual transmission or flappy paddle? Or would both be similar?

The stories I read that scared me the most were unexplained, seemingly unfixable electrical issues. And not just minor stuff like windows and tire pressure sensors, but major engine sensors and such where the car wouldn't even start. Seemed to be one of those things where if you got a car made on a good day it may be close to perfect, if you got a bad one you were just screwed and it was hopeless.

21. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    The threads on ISP - their version of PDK - is what scared me most - sticky paddles, stuck in great, etc. Worse yet, when I mentioned to my wife that I was interested in an Evora, she went online and read these things too. No Lotus for me. :(

On the bright side, she did say, "It's all the headaches of a Ferrari without the cachet. Just buy yourself a Ferrari." I'm one lucky hubby. :)
    T

22. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    If you get a lotus get an elige of some sort, they are really special, nothign like them.. The Evora, meh might as well get a cayman Gt4.

23. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Kid-capable back seats. That's a biggie for me.

24. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Sean...Elige? Did you mean Exige or Elise? The former seem to be in very short supply? I see from your profile that you owned an Elise; did you find it reliable? My understanding is that GT4 allocations are harder to find than hens teeth....T

25. Atlanta355

Atlanta355 Karting

Jun 7, 2008
    Atlanta
    OK so I own an Evora and a 911 and had a 355 beforehand. Also have looked heavily at a DB9. A used Evora driven the same miles per year will probably be a tenth the cost to run. At the end of the day is a Toyota drivetrain.

Both an Evora and 911 will be way more reliable than a used Ferrari and Aston at the same price point. Parts on an Evora are also way cheaper. Consensus seems to be a clutch on an Evora is about 5k but realistically you may never need one just like a 911. I know 3 other Evora owners in the local area and none have replaced clutches.

Don't kid yourself in any way that a Ferrari and Evora have the same amount of problems and issues. Go and price a service on both, or an oil filter :)