AC Autokraft Cobra Mk. IV | FerrariChat

AC Autokraft Cobra Mk. IV

Discussion in 'British' started by MRG22, Mar 21, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MRG22

MRG22 Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2010
    California
    Full Name:
    Mike Gulett
    #1 MRG22, Mar 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I just acquired this 1987 AC Autokraft Cobra Mk. IV and after two days I must say it is a terrific car. This car was made in England under the ownership of Autokraft, AC and Ford.

As AC said is a sales brochure from the 1980s ("present Cobra" in the text below is the AC Cobra Mk IV);

"As the original manufacturers, AC Cars use the original tooling in the construction of the present Cobra. Some 2,000 highly skilled man hours are expended in the manufacture of each vehicle, all traditionally hand built by British craftsmen.”

"After some fifty six years of ownership, (in 1986) the Hurlock family sold their controlling interest in AC Cars to the joint ownership of Autokraft Limited and the Ford Motor Company.”

Since Ford owned the Cobra brand name they allowed this car to be branded a Cobra. However, there is only one place on my AC Cobra where the Cobra logo is visible - a very small Cobra logo is on each door sill.

This is an AC Cobra, not a replica. Do Americans appreciate the AC Cobras that do not carry the Shelby name?

More photos and text here: This AC Cobra Arrived Today
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Randy R

Randy R Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 23, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    '14 Cal 30 TDF/Tan
    Awesome. They are very unique. My friend Rob has a green one. Congrats!!!

3. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    #3 henryr, Mar 21, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
    "Do Americans appreciate the AC Cobras that do not carry the Shelby name?"

i looked a buying a mkiv years ago... they are the read headed step child of the cobra world.

i think trevor legate still hangs out over at clubcobra.com and some other guys that really know all the in/outs of these cars...

i wish that had not monkeyed with the body.

4. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    lashss is another member here that also follow these...

the white 351W road & track car was on ebay years ago... wish i had bought that

5. MRG22

MRG22 Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2010
    California
    Full Name:
    Mike Gulett
    Rob was the one who introduced me to the AC Cobra Mk IV - read the My Car Quest article: This AC Cobra Arrived Today

6. MRG22

MRG22 Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2010
    California
    Full Name:
    Mike Gulett
    What do you mean by - "i wish that had not monkeyed with the body."?

7. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    These are very good and much better then the other that are replicas. I believe they did a few aluminum bodied cars in the 80's. If memory is correct, think Jay Leno has one. I know he has one and he said it wasn't really a replica. Its just not a Shelby. Personally I would buy one of these over the replicas Shelby endorsed.

8. MRG22

MRG22 Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2010
    California
    Full Name:
    Mike Gulett
    This is getting to the heart of the question I asked: "Do Americans appreciate the AC Cobras that do not carry the Shelby name?"

The AC Autokraft Cobra Mk IV is NOT a replica - it a real AC Cobra. It was made using the same body and steel tube chassis design on the same tooling as the AC Shelby Cobra. AC was the original manufacturer and they made the AC Ace before Shelby came along. AC also put Ford engines in their cars before Shelby got involved.

The AC Cobra Mk IV was made by AC, Autokraft and Ford - without Shelby because AC, Autokraft and Ford did not need Shelby to build the AC Cobra Mk IV.

Ford owned the Cobra name and AC, Autokraft and Ford had the capability to build an AC Cobra - and they did build an excellent AC Cobra. There were about 480 AC Cobra Mk IVs made between 1982 and the early 1990s. Many of the later Shelby continuation cars were fiberglass not aluminum.

9. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    They are real lineage. A 427 body with a SBF engine. I do not care for the DOT side marker lights, etc. AC is OEM. More original by lineage than replicas even though a Kirkham is probably a better car.

10. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Mike: I have owned one since 1992. They are wonderful cars. However, you will forever have to explain the "story" of these cars to those who think you own a "kit car". Here is the easiest approach:

1. Yes, it is a real AC Cobra.

2.No, it is not a "Shelby era" Cobra.

3. After Shelby left the car business in 1968, AC continued to build cars.

4. The Mark IV was the outgrowth of AC and Ford Motor Company getting together in the early 1980's to reestablish the car, not only in Europe, but also in the United States.

This approach usually satisfies those who ask.

While the cars were "AC Cobras" in the rest of the world, they could not be called Cobras in the United States, as at that time, Ford did not own the name. That is why they were called AC Mark IV's over here.

They use a Mark III (427) chassis and suspension (the parts are interchangeable, I have purchased suspension parts from AC to repair 427's).

The bodywork has a longer nose.

The footwells are deeper, which is perfect for me as I am tall.

The cockpit is wider, for better comfort.

The cars have fiberglass inner fender splash panels which protect the aluminum body from dings in the alloy from rocks being thrown off the tires.

11. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    see post #10

i also believe angliss built additional versions over the years outside of the mkiv run.

and imho, kirkham builds the best cars.

12. MRG22

MRG22 Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2010
    California
    Full Name:
    Mike Gulett
    Now I understand your comments about the body. I agree Kirkham builds great replica Cobras.

13. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i suggest you put a "yes it is aluminum - please dont touch" sticker in the window...........

14. MRG22

MRG22 Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2010
    California
    Full Name:
    Mike Gulett
    Great summary, thank you. I suspect that most European car people know all of this and respect these real AC Cobras but in the US one has to explain that it is not a Shelby Cobra!

15. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    look like it is still riding on the "gatorbacks"

16. MRG22

MRG22 Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2010
    California
    Full Name:
    Mike Gulett
    Yes, it has the original tires. But new tires will be BF Goodrich because the size is no longer made by Goodyear and maybe no other tire maker either.

17. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i'd check with either Kelly or Cooker. I forgot which bought the Eagle GT molds and they still make certain sizes. I needed 255 60 15 for a vette i have.

18. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    this isnt the "billy joel" mkiv ?

the three wiper system drive me nuts

19. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    there is a guy on clucobra.com that was the dealer for these.. find him and send him you ####. he's kept a bunch of original files and could likely provide info on the car

20. MRG22

MRG22 Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2010
    California
    Full Name:
    Mike Gulett
    The rear on the AC Cobra are 255 60 16.

21. MRG22

MRG22 Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2010
    California
    Full Name:
    Mike Gulett
    I found a photo of Bill Joel's former AC Cobra and it looks the same as this one but not the same car.

22. MRG22

MRG22 Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2010
    California
    Full Name:
    Mike Gulett
    Sorry I meant 255 50 16 - the sales brochure said 255 60 16 and this tire size is not available anywhere but fortunately for me they are really 255 50 16 and BF Goodrich makes this size in a high performance version.

23. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Mike: One more thing. If you remove the "wind wings" you will have much LESS wind in the cockpit. Don't ask why, but it is British!

24. MRG22

MRG22 Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2010
    California
    Full Name:
    Mike Gulett
    I will try that, thanks.

25. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Are these the Brian Angliss cars? I really like these...is it for sale or you bought it for your own use?