Brand New Original Open MSO 1972 XKE Roadster... | FerrariChat

Brand New Original Open MSO 1972 XKE Roadster...

Discussion in 'British' started by SupercarGuru, Apr 1, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    Hi Guys,

Recently acquired a 1972 Jaguar XKE Roadster in Silver over Red that was put away in 1972. The car has original paint and original interior, it was never titled, on open MSO.

I have all the original documents, tools, records and the car is a complete time capsule. Original paint, Original Interior... Absolutely shocking how original.

What do you guys think the car is worth? Just got an offer from someone and trying to determine a fair value.

Best,

2. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Rough guess - $60-70K if it's in decent shape.

3. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    #3 JOEA2, Apr 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    That's a six though, right? I believe '72 was 12-cyl across the board.

5. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Time capsules have their own value. On one hand you cant drive them, on the other hand for soem colelctor its near priceless.

6. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Having recently acquired the car, you'd likely have a reasonable idea of what one might pay for it, would guess.

In terms of "new" untitled '72 time capsule cars, though, there can't be many, if any, like it. And so there aren't comps to use to establish a market price.

If looking to bail and realize the strongest sum, maybe link with a top auction house that would best get the word out to the specific group of suitors for this particular car?

7. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    Depending on how well it was stored and how it survived, the car could bring serious money at auction. It's a true time capsule car, 1 of 1 (probably). True, it's not the more desirable Series I, but the Series III cars have been on the uptick.

As someone else suggested, I'd get in touch with RM or Gooding. While this would be a cheaper car by their standards, they might be interested to consign it simply because of the uniqueness being an untitled, completely original 43 yr old car. Depending on the venue (Scottsdale?), it could draw some serious bidding if there are 2 guys in the room hellbent on owning a uniquely original car. For a car like this, you can't go by Hagerty's or SCM etc as an indicator of value.

At the very least, it'd be great to get the car photographed. I'm sure the Jag guys really would appreciate you posting some high res pics on a site and then letting the Jag guys view the pics as an aid for restoration. Even the "purest" cars have had some work done to them over the years, with non-original parts, screws, bolts etc creeping in to the mix over 40-50 yrs. Hell, my Series I E-type is a mix of parts from the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's. Your car is unique in that it's likely completely untouched. It's a great resource for Series III E-type fans.

Good luck with whatever you decide!