E-Type problem | FerrariChat

E-Type problem

Discussion in 'British' started by rdefabri, Apr 20, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Had my E-Type out over the weekend, and while driving it, I noticed some hesitation with the car. Not so much with the motor (although I do think it's running a little rich), but as if someone / something were holding the car back. I could tell when that force was released, and the car drove fine, but as I got back to my house, whatever was holding the car back was very noticeable. I even put the car in neutral to coast towards a red light and the car slowed, but didn't roll free (it eventually stopped somewhat abruptly).

As I pulled the car in the garage, I noticed smoke coming from the right rear rim. I'm suspecting either a locked inboard caliper or something with wheel bearings (although I'm inclined to believe it's the brakes as my brake pedal was "spongy").

Going to call Terry Lippincott, but anyone have insight? I know from my Lexus that a car that sits can have the calipers freeze up, anyone have this happen with their Jags?

2. f1_nix

f1_nix Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 12, 2005
    Ft. Worth, TX
    I had a similar problem on my '66. It turned out to be brake related. Mine would basically lock. 3000RPM in first just to move at all. Ended up having all the calipers rebuilt at White Post. No problems since.

3. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I get the same problem with my MG TD, which I just got on the road for the season yesterday. But they are drums, not discs, and are very easy to adjust. But yes, it sounds like brakes.

Matt

4. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Thanks gents! I do believe it's a frozen caliper. Presumably I would need to drop the whole rear assembly to get at them?

I'm brake repair savvy, but knowing this is a different beast, I'd defer to Terry Lippincott...I just want to keep the cost low, so I'm curious.

5. gretel1011

gretel1011 Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom F
    Don't have my E-Type anymore but it sounds like a brake lock problem. I had the entire rear end reworked on my after I bought it and it work fine thereafter.

6. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    My rear was redone about 10 years ago, so I'm a little surprised. However, it did sit the winter, so maybe it was time...

7. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Sometimes a brake line can collapse and not allow the fluid to flow back after the brakes are applied. I'm sure it is either the caliper or the line. Dropping the cradle will probably cost you a few bucks. Hopefully nothing serious.

8. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Does a '66 have the split-cirquit brakes with the white plastic vac regulator on the master cylinder? If so, that is your first suspect. These over time get brittle and crack, then start releasing vac whilst the pedal is not activated, and if they leak hard enough will completely lock the brakes on. Easy to replace.

Best,

Jack.

9. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Checked that - while they don't look perfect, they seem to be in ok condition. Is there some way to test leakage? FWIW - there is no fluid loss, but since this is vacuum, I'd guess you wouldn't see that any way.

10. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    You need to inspect these in hand, hairline cracks are difficult to spot in the car. Once you have these in hand their wirking becomes obvious. I had one broken in my car some 15 years ago (so memory is a little fuzzy by now), it was repairable, justa small hairline crack caused a leak. New ones were hard to get then, and not inexpensive. Make sure we're talking about the same item, looks a little like a white(ish) flying saucer, about 3" diam. From memory there are about 6 screws around its' circumference holding it to the booster.

Best,

Jack.

11. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Yup, that's the same piece I'm looking at.

12. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Take it off, there is a gasket and a membrane, and in the centre a spring. Inspect all closely, likely there is a leak originating from it. It then allows the booster to apply more or less pressure to the braking system without you touching the pedal. A small leak will cause dragging brakes, a big one will stop the car.

Best,

Jack.