Buyer Beware: Rover Classic in Staten Island, NY | FerrariChat

Buyer Beware: Rover Classic in Staten Island, NY

Discussion in 'British' started by rennspeed, Apr 21, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rennspeed

rennspeed Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 4, 2007
    Full Name:
    Rennspeed
    Hi All:

Just wanted to let everyone know about my experiences with Rover Classics in Staten Island, NY. I was looking to purchase a 1989 Range Rover County with them that I saw on ebay. After inquiring on the vehicle and speaking with Mike I agreed to purchase the vehicle for a total out the door price of $12,700. This included shipping to Texas.

I then asked him to send me a bill of sale and he replied, very rudely, saying he won't send a bill of sale unless I send him a $500 deposit. I was surprised at his response and felt he was being rude but at that time nothing more. So, I spoke with him just to confirm the condition of the vehicle and the price and afterwards I sent him the deposit.

After sending him the deposit he sends me an invoice for a HIGHER amount. I said this is different than the amount we agreed on - he suggested that these are all dealer fees that are listed on his website. I told him we had agreed upon an out the door price - of course he disagrees. This made me uncomfortable and also made me question the car itself which he claims was in great shape. So I asked him to refund my deposit and that we no longer have a deal since he changed the price on me. He refused. This all happens in a span of 10 hours and he said his policy is to never refund a deposit even after 1 second of receiving it. Now I know why he wanted me to send him the deposit before he would send me the invoice. I called him asking to refund my deposit and he called me a "dick".

I have bought a lot of cars sight unseen and always had a very good experience except this one so wanted to let everyone know about this so no one else loses money to this guy.

2. knightmare

knightmare Karting

Nov 18, 2013
    Dallas Tx
    Full Name:
    Clay Knight
    #2 knightmare, Apr 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    That really sucks. I'm a big Rover guy and mostly own Series vehicles from the 50s - early 80s. If you're interested in a nice classic range rover I know where one is. It's also in Texas!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I always suspect that with most internet dealers their primary income are these "deposits".

4. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    If you walk away from the $500 you'll probably be better off than buying the vehicle. I've been driving RRs since they started bringing them in in 1987. Thanks for the warning on this guy. Anybody who operates his business this way deserves to be outed.

5. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Did you send it via Paypal? If so file a claim. I read their non-refundable policy for the $500.

6. ntlr

ntlr Karting

Jan 25, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    Called that guy once, fully aware of what to expect with these Rovers. Asked a few questions that I wouldn't deem "hard", but rather more for dilgience, and got pretty dodgy answers. Elected not to buy from him, and from what I heard from the next owner, made the right choice. Highly misrepresented the condition / work that had been done.

7. ntlr

ntlr Karting

Jan 25, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    Knightmare - shoot me a pm. Your inbox is full.

8. rennspeed

rennspeed Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 4, 2007
    Full Name:
    Rennspeed
    wow that is nice! more details?

9. rennspeed

rennspeed Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 4, 2007
    Full Name:
    Rennspeed
    I did send it via paypal and this was a shocker for me. I spoke with the customer service rep to file a dispute and she said that anything related to an automobile purchase is not covered and they will not investigate. They said they will automatically side with the seller if it is a car purchase. She did tell me to contact my credit card company to file a dispute which i am currently doing.

10. rennspeed

rennspeed Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 4, 2007
    Full Name:
    Rennspeed
    You are lucky. I wish I had done more research, that's why I'm posting this here to warn others. I thought they were an rover enthusiast used dealer but he is not.

They have a C-- rating on BBB. I also filed a complaint with them.

VSB Enterprises Inc. Review - AUTO DEALERS-ANTIQUE & CLASSIC in Staten Island, NY - BBB Business Review - BBB serving Metropolitan New York, Long Island, and the Mid-Hudson Region

11. ntlr

ntlr Karting

Jan 25, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    Good call. If you got your deposit back, you dodged a bullet (in my opinion). There are lots of good Range Rover Classics out there (I just sold one of mine - a 2-door), just have to look and do your due diligence. I know of a good 1995 25th Anniversary LWB near me if you're interested (I have one of them too) - not perfect, but pretty good.

12. rrcny

rrcny Rookie

Apr 22, 2015
    I guess if Phil Han is talking about me ( roverclassic ) so I should respond.

We never agreed on the final price, my message to him was 12000 for the car and 700 for the delivery. Han was sent to the site if he wanted to complete the sale.

My website clearly lists document fee that will be added to EACH car that is sold. Han read the terms of sale and agreed to them before making the deposit. I do not scam people, everything is right there in very simple terms.

13. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    As someone who has been a dealer (and who has more than twenty years of experience operating and managing retail automobile dealerships), I can unequivocally state that any attempt to keep this man's deposit is ****** move on your part (and would be outright illegal here in California). To then refer to the customer as the one who's being ****** in this situation speaks volumes about you as a person and the way you choose to conduct your business. Sadly, people like you, sir, have tarnished the reputation of us all.

14. rennspeed

rennspeed Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 4, 2007
    Full Name:
    Rennspeed
    Thanks El Wayne - shocking to see guys like this in business. It makes me really appreciate all the great experiences I had at other dealers.

15. rennspeed

rennspeed Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 4, 2007
    Full Name:
    Rennspeed
    Hi Michael - thank you for posting. If we never agreed on a price, can you tell me why I would send you a deposit?

16. rennspeed

rennspeed Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 4, 2007
    Full Name:
    Rennspeed
    I'm glad I posted my experiences online and shared them on yelp. Since April the car that I put a deposit on is still for sale and a $1,000 cheaper. I've also been contacted by several people who bought cars from Mike at Rover Classics in Staten Island with similar stories. His BBB rating is now a D+. Check out the reviews of him on yelp: Rover Classic - Car Dealers - Staten Island, NY - Reviews - Yelp

17. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    totally suck. you must be dealing with a DeNiro type car saleman like in the movie...
    The CC company should cover you if you file a complaint.
    Heck when i was in europe 2 years ago, someone stole my cc number (i suspect 2 shady front desk employee from the rental car company) and bough a palne ticket on Bristish airways for $3K. I simply could not beleive how such a thing can happen.
    The CC company covered me.
    And thanks for exposing Paypal for the complicity of these scams too.

18. rennspeed

rennspeed Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 4, 2007
    Full Name:
    Rennspeed
    I filed a chargeback and my credit card company was able to get my $500 deposit back. I would only use PayPal if it is linked to a credit card and not a debit card!

19. TRScotty

TRScotty F1 Rookie
    Owner

Oct 12, 2006
    Tyler, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scotty
    Good.

Thanks for sounding the alarm on this business.

20. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

lol...I guess he just thought we were all stoooopid over here on ferrarichat and had no business acumen. what a Richard head this dealer is.

btw,

I sure miss my of 94 county classic. I would LOVE to find an over resotred example for my semi daily driver. one of the finest driving machines I have ever owned...albeit ferrariesque to maintain:(

21. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    I would call him now that you got your money back and vent. Let him know how youve filed complaints. Give him this link too. I dont live far from si and have had 6 rrs. Will never go there

22. bpmfla

bpmfla Rookie

Aug 18, 2015
    I saw the warning about the guy in NY researching him before giving him a call. A family member asked me how he could best sell his over restored Range Rover. His mother bought it new and he got it from her. He is meticulous which is why he went overboard on what was already a very nice RR. It's green with tan and always a NC car. It might be what you are looking for Ferraripete?