V8 v V12 Vantage | FerrariChat

V8 v V12 Vantage

Discussion in 'British' started by FFmaybe, May 1, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FFmaybe

FFmaybe Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2014
    I drove a V8 Vantage (2013) manual and a V12 Vantage (2015) paddle shift today. I am a die-hard manual person, but I was blown away by the V12 Vantage. It was such a rush! the paddles made it exciting with the hard shifts, etc.

Is the manual V12 Vantage as aggressive as the paddle shift car? I know the newer car has more power, but they are both incredibly powerful. Does a DBS drive like a V12 Vantage?

2. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    DBS does not drive like V12 Vantage, I find it boring, underpowered and uninspired.
    V12 manual is excellent, the new paddle shift is divine.
    Hard to find anything else at that price that would give as satisfying driving experience as the new V12 Vantage.
    Rush indeed....

3. FFmaybe

FFmaybe Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2014
    Mark - thank you for your reply. I see you have an E63 - I have one as well. It seems like many of these modern cars have the same capabilities as several supercars but wrapped in an everyday package.

The thing the struck me about the V12 Vantage was how wild it was. it was like a race car on the street. every time it shifted it was like a punch in the stomach. I usually like manuals better, but I liked the roughness of the paddle shift in this car.

I drove a FF once and thought it would be more like the experience i had with the V12 Vantage. It was actually more like my E63. Seemed like too much of a compromise between comfort and performance.

What else is a more extreme driving experience amongst modern supercars? McLaren? 458? Huracan?

4. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Not the 458 or Lambo, McLaren 650S would be close.
    You would have to go back to CGT for best experience (God I miss that car, most stupid thing I did in years, selling it).

5. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Drove a 2015 V12V Roadster last week and it is superb. SportShift III is much improved and the V12 noise and power are excellent.

I've found the 458 Speciale to be a pretty engaging experience.

DBS is going to be similar to a Bentley CGT, much more of a cruiser than a sports car.

6. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    FWIW if you are looking at newer model years the V12 Vantage S does not come in manual, SportShift III only.

7. FFmaybe

FFmaybe Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2014
    Thank you. I am wondering if the older V12 Vantage drives as aggressively as the new car (which has more power and the paddle shift)

8. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
  9. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward

You sold your CGT?!?
    I'll be keeping mine for a very long time.

My daily driver is a 2015 AM V12VS. I've had a previous V8V Nurburgring Edition as well as a DBS. I felt both were quite underpowered. The V12 VS got it right. Perfectly balanced on track and civil and luxurious on the street. I was a die hard manual fan but thoroughly enjoy my paddle shifter cars (this and my 16M).
    I drove my friends previous gen V12 manual and it was fun. But the VS has near 50 more HP which makes it a beast.
    I have 8500 miles on mine.....I am only thinking of trading it due to my 4 kids. But it is such a damn awesome car.
    Negatives - there are some quirks such as the damn fuel lid door getting stuck. And of course I get burned on the massive depreciation of Aston's.

Sent from my 16M

10. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    Wow I thought the DBS would be a beast.

11. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Ummm...others would disagree. The DBS has plenty of power...

12. ArmenVanquishS

ArmenVanquishS Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2014
    Paris, France
    The DBS is powerful but not a "beast". Better getting a DB9 2013 instead.

If you want a Beast and one of the most impressive Aston Martin ever made, get a Vanquish S (528 PS / 520 BHP).

13. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Have you been to the dealer recently? There was a bulletin a couple months back to fix that issue (the fuel door, not the depreciation :) )