XKE Advice | FerrariChat

XKE Advice

Discussion in 'British' started by BillyD, May 2, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    #1 BillyD, May 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have a chance to pickup a 67 XKE roadster.
    Motor has been rebuilt in last few years, the car was originally yellow but was painted red back in the 70s, looks like a nice driver. Same owner since the 70s tho he had modified it (Ford V8) before returning to OEM, that's why subframe bright red. Am I asking for trouble? I swore no more British cars years ago but.........
    What is the correct price?
    Thanks
    Bill
    Looking for new toy since 308GTB gone ;-(
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    Rust is the main issue. Pull the wheels off to inspect wheel-wells and any nooks and crannies. Looks like A good starter car. This car looks like a Series 1.5 or 2, based on open headlights and chrome trim on the doors.

3. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    #3 2NA, May 2, 2015
    Last edited: May 2, 2015
    Series 1.5

Again, rust is your big enemy. Check floor, rockers and particularly where the subframe bolts up. I recommend checking the subframe as well, the tubing is thin and rusts from inside.

The good news is that virtually every part is still available from several sources including most of the body panels and subframe. I've restored several of these, it's not a Ferrari or even a Chevy but once you get used to how they go together it's not bad. They're going up in value like never before and the 1.5 is one of the more desirable models. Selling price will depend on whether it's matching numbers (easy to check) and if anything was butchered to fit the V8 in it. I would recommend having someone that knows E-types look it over to verify anything that's missing. I have a friend with an E-Type with a 302 Ford in it, very nicely done. The subframe was cut and restyled to fit exhaust. It would need a few expensive changes to return it to stock.

Another friend recently sold his absolutely pristine Roadster for $400K. This car wouldn't get there but it's evidence that they are now serious collectibles in addition to being fun cars to drive, if your legs aren't too long.

Just watch out for Deadman's Curve. ;)

https://youtu.be/S1Cuekbklkg

4. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    car looks very rough. can you buy it and invest $125k to get it to new condition? thats the only way i would buy it. right now it looks like a beater.

5. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    That's a beater? No way - it's dusty, but the engine was rebuilt, looks great. The interior is worn, but hardly destroyed.

First off - there was no official Series 1.5, but this is a 1967 OTS. Hard to tell without looking underneath, but they all rust. Even then, floors can be replaced.

Looking at this, I'm going to call between condition 3 and 4 - probably worth $60K.

If floors are completely rotted, $50K. Otherwise, recent engine rebuild, looks like the boot is clean, some cleaning of the car, and you have a decent driver.

6. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    #6 360gtracer, May 5, 2015
    Last edited: May 5, 2015
    Concur, but:

1. Without chassis number, one can't really tell what it is. Could be a S1 car that had its bonnet smashed and replaced. Probably not, just supposing....

2. Nit-picky things: wrong steering wheel, wrong shift knob, and I *think* exhaust should have resonators on the up-slope at the rear (could be wrong - anyone?).

3. From what can be seen in the pics, I also agree that this car could clean up pretty nicely. But what shape are the brakes in? Gearbox? Electricals? Wire wheels/tires?

All that being said, I think a better *purchase* price would be mid-40's. Low-50's tops. Gives the buyer some room to go through the car and fix what it needs. A car like this could easily surprise you with 10-20K of work needed.

Just my 2 pence.

gp

p.s. - a good indicator of underside condition is the floor of the spare tire well. And I think those seats could be cleaned up and made to look very presentable with good leather treatment and re-dye. FWIW.

7. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    one person states that a cond 1 sells for $400k and 2 people here are offering $50k valuation and thats not a beater!?
    not mention the laundry list of repairs suggested.

8. ghibliman

ghibliman Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2009
    #8 ghibliman, May 5, 2015
    Last edited: May 5, 2015
    An Open headlight car will never be worth $400k. (IMO)

This looks weird to me because it has the Open headlights but still has (3) S.U.'s and toggle switches. '67 was a transition year so maybe this got caught between parts. I also agree its not a beater. If it doesn't have too much rust it'll be a great driver.

My guess without rust and original drivetrain is $65-70K. :)

9. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    You guys aren't paying attention. I never suggested that this car would bring record money. Only that E-Types are going up fast right now. The car looks like it has great potential but deserves a long hard look to be sure just how much.

It goes without saying that it needs to be bought "right".

10. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    It is, what JCNA colloquially refers to as, a "Series 1.25". Just as stated, right *at* the transition - first of the open headlights, still w/ S1 carbs and dash. And, also, very unlikely to ever be a top dollar car, regardless of condition.

E-Types are skyrocketing, but the ones that are sky-rocketing the most are the S1 covered headlight cars. Some even prefer the 3.8L models as "more pure" (I'm partial to the 4.2L cars, but that's just me).

I used Hagerty's online valuation tool to "guess" a value (in the 50-60K range), and suggested a mid-40s purchase price for the "fix up" buffer needed. I would *guess* that because of it's transitional nature, it may be a bit on the "rare" side, so bought well and fixed up right, could be worth more at auction than Hagerty suggests. But as I said, just a guess....

FWIW, YMMV, etc....

gp

11. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Well said and agreed.

Also agree with your last post - I'm partial to the 4.2 S1 cars, because they also had the improved gearbox.

Skyrocketing they are, and although I own a FHC, prices are starting to creep into my psyche (I'm much more aware of the value...which scares me).

12. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Better gearbox, more comfortable seats also.

13. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Seats look better in 3.8 IMO and I had a 65 OTS. Also the 3.8 revs more but no synchro in box. E-TYPES are all about the best you can buy or they can be awful. I bought a concourse car and did some updates to make it both usable and better, now I could not afford 250K+ for a nice car. Lucky to have moved to a Boxer Or I would be dejected at selling mine for 85K in 11/13.

14. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Much better looking but not very comfortable.

15. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Classic Jaguar had a seat that looked like the early series 1, but was supposed to be comfy. If I got another e-type it would only be a dark blue series 1 coupe with dunlop wheels and just slightly lowered. Saw one after I sold mine and had bad thoughts about how to convince my wife we needed one.

16. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Hey guys thanks for all the input. I was under the impression it was a Series 1.5. I know very little about E types other than my friend had what I think was a 61 coupe that we drove to high school in the 70s. The trunk floor has been replaced, wires redone, front frames replaced, but the gearbox, rear end & suspension with brakes are untouched. Car was driven monthly up until about 2 years ago. As soon as I can find the time I'll go look and drive.
    Thanks Again
    Bill
    ps I really prefer the coupe to OTS

17. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    you can easily convert that to closed headlights then it will look like a true 67

18. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    If you want a car similar to an E-Type...but without the same concerns or expense, just go get a nice DB7. They drive like a million bucks...

19. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    Agree with both here.

No synchro in 1st, other three gears are synchro. Though, that being said, 2nd and 3rd in my older XK do require double-clutch upshifts into 2nd and 3rd. I think the synchros are just plain worn out.

As far as buying the best - that's always good advice and I don't disagree with it. But at the same time, if you have a good base to start from, you can wind up with a pretty good car without necessarily breaking the bank. Gotta be willing to get your hands dirty a bit, though.... :)

As long as there's never an intent to show the car in any seriousness.

I don't know a lot about the Aston's - where can they be serviced? And isn't said servicing also a fairly expensive proposition? That's what I would have guessed, but as I said, they're a bit out of my element.

Thanks,

gp