69 420g | FerrariChat

69 420g

Discussion in 'British' started by URAS, May 23, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    #1 URAS, May 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well, incase anyone is interested in the classics instead of the newer models, my restorations on the 74 e-type and 69 420g are well underway. the e type is undergoing a full nuts/bolts/clips restoration and should be ready for end of this july. if anyone is interested I can post some pictures of this one.

next one is the 69 420g. started this last fall. may have it ready for end of this year. this is more of a level 2 restoration. interior completed, wood work just completed, body about halfway done.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Splitting Atoms

Splitting Atoms Formula 3

Sep 18, 2011
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I have an engine/auto transmission from a 67 420G on my eBay watch list. It is local in North Georgia. I have a MG Midget and recently saw a video of an early Midget/Healey with a Jaguar 3.8 installed. It sounded great. I doubt I will buy it since I completely rebuilt the 1275, but it is fun to think about it.

3. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    Resurrecting this thread. This car was put on the back burner as I was focusing on the reset restoration of the E type and silver shadow and needed to balance out the $. As the other two are now well on their way and are in assembly mode, this one has now proceeded. Found 15" rims from a 69 420 so going to use those and store the original 14". I was advised first base coat applied yesterday and will head over this morning to check it out. Will post pictures later today.

4. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    #4 URAS, Apr 21, 2016
  5. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    #5 URAS, Apr 21, 2016
  6. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Hi,

Very cool, that you saved one, they are expensive to restore and undervalued.

Large headlamps and amber directional indicators, so clearly not a US model, European delivery or Canadian that was not US spec?!?

Very difficult to tell the colours from those photos, was it Opalescent Dark Green and a Light Tan interior or Black (& Light Tan or Cinnamon?)

Very cool projects, and they seem to progress which is nice, I have seen so many stalled projects or things taking forever.

Cheers,

Pekka T.
    Fin.

7. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    The standard colous the 420G came in were as listed below. Mine is the Black. The only difference is two stage instead of single stage.

Cream (Old English White)
    Color Code: 8313L
    Dark Blue
    Color Code: 8320L
    Honey Beige
    Color Code: 8322L
    Willow Green
    Color Code: 8323LH
    Ascot Gray
    Color Code: 8536L
    Sable
    Color Code: 8540L
    Light Blue
    Color Code: 8541L
    British Racing Green
    Color Code: 8542L
    Pale Primrose
    Color Code: BLVC251
    Regency Red
    Color Code: BLVC257
    Signal Red (8543LH)
    Color Code: BLVC258
    Silver Gray Metallic
    Color Code: BLVC260
    Black
    Color Code: BLVC261

As far as I can tell, this was a Canadian car to begin with. There were no differences in the lights between RHD and LHD vehicles. Some owners placed the clear repeaters instead of the amber coloured ones, but that was not from factory. There were minor differences between the Mark series and the renamed 420G, like centre verticle piece in the front grill, more chrome bling.

8. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Hi,

Yes, thanks that's very good info. BTW you do know that the 420G was one of the few cars Jaguar ever offered with a two-tone paint from the factory?

I can see now it was Black, but some of the dark metallics are hard to tell what they were when they have aged and digital photos complicate things even further. :)

Although many early Jaguars (& SS's) often get restored in two-tone paint (like my MKV DHC) the factory never offered it on any other models than MK VIII and MK IX and the 420G!
    (And of course on the Daimler Limousine (DS420) but I doubt many of those were sold in North America?)

So not on MKIV, MKV or MKVII or MKVII M, and not on MK1/MK2's either or MK X.
    I do have colour charts for most models, but only the sales ones, so typically no colour codes, just samples and marketing names (& leather samples).

There is a Black/Grey 420G here in Helsinki with thin whitewall tires on the original 14" rims and in that combo I think it looks just great. :D

Cheers,

Pekka T.
    Fin.

9. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    You are correct in that two tone was an option. I considered it but in the end I did not want it to compete against the 76 silver shadow which is in. 2 tone.
    Plus I like the gangster look of this low long car. I have 15" rims from a 69 420(not 420g). Going to go with the 15 and store the 14 ones.

10. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    Paid a visit to the shop this morning. I had asked them to do the two gas lids and the sunroof panel as a test sample to make sure of the shade of black. Liked it so gave the go ahead to proceed with the rest of the car, which will be done today. Will drop by later today before closing to take some pictures.

11. bcc

bcc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 31, 2006
    DFW Texas
    Full Name:
    Brent
    These a great saloons, saw a fantastic one last weekend at Keels & Wheels.

I vaguely remember a car magazine article back in the day that Enzo was driven around in one.

Best of luck with the restoration and post more pics.

12. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    #13 URAS, Dec 12, 2016
    It has been slower in getting to this car, but better late than never and at least I am living up to my commitment to the family to get cars done or get rid of them. The shell is now back in my garage. But oh so cold to work in the garage. 15cm of snow last night and it has taken me all day to clean out my driveway and 3 extended family members as well. I had a small warehouse until last year and it is times like this I wish I still had it with its heat so I can work on things. I will have to work on the shell whenever I get a warm day. My friend who does car upholstering was over yesterday. He took measurement and pictures to fabricate the headliner. With the sunroof opening and the different elevations and the cold, I am not looking forward to headliner installation. But cant do anything else inside until the headliner is in.

13. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    #14 URAS, Dec 12, 2016
    At least to do something with winter upon us, I took over the basement bar area and the dining room and assembled my parts there and started to organize. I think by bed time I can have the two front seats assembled with the rear trays. The significant other was not pleased when I advised her I will have to move the motorcycle and scooter into the family room for the winter as I need the space in the garage, and also she cannot park in the garage for the winter. Maybe one day I will need hearing aid and than I can tune her out......it is not like the end of the world is upon us....it is not like I was advising that I was moving the motorcycle into the bedroom...all though now that I mention it that might not be a bad idea and I can wake up to it every morning and enjoy the majesty of an 81 BMW R100RT!

14. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    #15 URAS, Dec 12, 2016
  15. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Can't wait to see it finished, 420 is one of the most beautiful Jaguars ever, IMO.

16. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    You insult me sir! It is a 420G not a lowly 420. That would be like carrying Heinz mustard in you RR instead of Grey Poupon. Really Sir, must you dip so low! LOL, just kidding. Actually a lot of the parts are interchangeable. I purchased a field find 420 for some parts at a cost of $200. Stripped it for the parts I needed and than called wrecker and collected $250.

17. nzporsche944s2

Jul 12, 2012
    Nice car! Didn't the Kray Brothers have a 420G?

18. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Hi,

if you know the vin# of that 420 you could add it as "Scrapped" to SALOON Data - Keeping track of every Jaguar Saloon - Jaguar, Daimler classic saloon (sedan) information, articles, photos and register
    Any pics would be also a nice thing to put there, or colours etc. if you know them.

That would be nice as some people (like me) seem to spend a lot of the time they should spend in the garage by the computer searching for silly stuff, like old cars.

And again a big thumbs up for saving a 420G from the crusher, there are so many of them rotting away as restoration does not make any sense economically. So it takes some character to restore one against the odds. Great cars with great ride!

Cheers,

Pekka T.
    Fin.