Bentley Turbo R | FerrariChat

Bentley Turbo R

Discussion in 'British' started by Valenzo, Jul 11, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Ive fallen for a 1997 cream colored one, not too far from me. Its stunning, low mileage, 3 owners.

The problem is the seller has no service history on it other than a clean carfax. Im calling the bentley service dept where it was serviced for a few years with hopes the VIN can pull up the history.

I would really like to hear from someone who owns or has owned these.

TIA
    Ted

2. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    Update us when you can?

3. 95Monster

95Monster Rookie

Mar 13, 2011
    Los Angeles, Califor
    Full Name:
    George
    I recently joined the RROC. You might give it a go. Lots of knowledgeable, and opinionated, people on their forums.

4. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Ted

I've had two- a Mulsanne Turbo and a Turbo R. my memory is the Mulsanne was an 84 and the R was a 92.

Obviously nothing rides like a Bentley- even to this day. I do miss driving that car into Boston and floating over everything. I had good luck with mine, but there was never one minute when everything worked on either car. I had all sorts of issues. Electrical gremlins- the crazy brake service prices, cooling issues, A/C issues- always something. Cars never, ever stranded me but you always wondered what shoe was about to drop. Of course I'd pay all the money for the best one you could find.

I would say go for one- a really unique experience and they are now old enough to be "classic" without being "Vintage" (Too Expensive). As a 355 owner I still think of the older Bentleys as "expensive" to service- so there you go. Feels like prices on these are firming up, like everything from the 80s.

5. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Great seeing you still around, Jay. I always appreciate your words of practicality, experience and wisdom. So I'm glad you answered my thread here.

I desire a Bentley. I stumbled on a beautiful cream colored '97 Turbo R but after spending $58,000 in service bills on my Mondial and reading about all the pitfalls on the Turbo R, I think I'm going to look for a newer model. I really like the Arnage T so I'm searching for a 2007-2009.

Thanks Jay, looking forward to chatting with you again.

Ted

6. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    58k? On a Mondial? Yikes.

7. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Yep. One well known shop didn't know what they were doing, so I sent it across the country to a well known expert to make it right. I could have quit while I was behind but I love(d) the car and therefore it made sense. It's now a mechanically and cosmetically perfect Mondial T and worth it to me.

8. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Ted,

Honestly I miss the Turbo R- whenever I see one on the road I immediately start looking at ebay auctions. I would say in the grand scheme of things owning a Bentley or Rolls form that era is MORE expensive than owning a 355. No $20K majors but a steady stream of $3k-$5K repairs.

My experience is you gotta own one, and as soon as you have one you don't want it anymore. Maybe you can borrow one for a week? Go have a few nice dinners, get a few admiring glances. Then bail before anything breaks.

9. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    #9 full_garage, Jul 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    To cure the Brit Luxo Barge thing I bought a very low mileage 95 Jag XJ- end of runs XJS' with the 6 are rumored to be fairly reliable-
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    I've been a member of the RROC since 07. The big one is service history, they need service and are very expensive to maintain, so most skip it because they cant afford the car. Brakes are a nightmare to do, they are hydraulic and need special tools, etc. Anything suspension is also a nightmare very difficult to do. Id avoid a cheap no service history Bentley anything from the 80's or 90's. This is really a buy the best you can afford VS getting a good deal kind of car.

11. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph

I was hoping you would share your experiences with that "one well known shop" in detail here on f-chat. Curious as to why you chose not to.

Joe

12. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Any Arnage from 2007 up is a terrific buy, all troublesome electronics and other components causing trouble before, were replaced by flush with cash VW.
    They made them perfect and they had a blank check to do it.

13. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    pretty car!

14. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Lawyers, Joe

15. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Gorgeous, Jay.

16. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Thanks, Mark. Ive read many of your post on this. RROC also agrees with you. Theres one in my future.

17. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Im now a member there too. Theyve been very welcoming under New Member, come say hello. Lots of good information.

18. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Good luck!
    Make sure you post some good pics when you get it, would be much obliged.