Chris Harris McLaren 675 LT Video | FerrariChat

Chris Harris McLaren 675 LT Video

Discussion in 'British' started by RichardCH, Jul 22, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    #1 RichardCH, Jul 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
    Looks like McLaren have finally cracked it, looks good, sounds good too, if it wasn't for the limited numbers you could simply forget the 488 GTB as history before it hits the streets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QtMaV7kMjc

2. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    Look at the detailed titanium components towards the end of the video

3. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    #3 RichardCH, Jul 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  4. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    The 675LT best encapsulates what I think of when I think about McLaren. Well done!

5. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    In just 4 years, they have built from scratch a new car with the foresight of using Turbo and a CF monocoque. In addition they have sold the cars in 26 countries and have broken even in 2014!!

Simply amazing IMO.

6. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    sure but their early racing development history is super impressive too even if they started only 50 years ago

7. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    yep it is. I hear that the factory is also amazing and well worth a visit.

8. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    Factory is impressive and worth a visit, it is however not like a visit to the Ferrari factory.

9. F430kenric

F430kenric Formula 3

Mar 27, 2011
    #10 F430kenric, Jul 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have to say, I love my 650S. It impresses me every time I drive her. I would suggest to anyone to test drive one. It will blow you away how good the car is!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Jasone

Jasone Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 15, 2011
    Tampa Florida
    Full Name:
    Jasone
    This guy obviously hasn't driven on a track before, at least with a great instructor.. his constant guidance on "harder on the brakes", "turn to the apex", "do a cool down lap now".

That said.. looks like an amazing car.. interesting that everyone isn't freaking out that this is a turbo like they are for the 488.

I'm really impressed with this car.

11. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  12. BG23

BG23 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2015
    Australia
    Looks very impressive! I am not sure you can compare this car to the 488. This is the limited edition, stripped out track focused car that cost $150k more (in Australia). Clearly Ferrari will make a more track focused "speciale" version of the 488. There is a market for both cars, I personally don't really want a plastic engine cover to save a few kg's

I think this car reinforces that going turbo was the right decision for Ferrari with the 488GTB. Not meant to offend anyone, but I suspect this would embarrass a 458 speciale on a circuit.

13. MuratC

MuratC Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2014
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Is this a McLaren forum?

14. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    RichardCH thinks it is. :)

15. mkultra

mkultra Formula 3

Nov 3, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    MK Ultra
    ^ :)

16. Stevenb

Stevenb F1 Rookie

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steven
    I have seen the car in person and I do like it. The looks are better than all the other mclarens (including P1), and I do like the sound. Its pretty loud for a turbo and has that idle sound similar to the 458. The interior feels more raw but doesnt give me the speciale rawness. Pretty good middle from both worlds and I would def. say it seems DD capable. I havent driven it yet but hope to do it soon. What really bothers me is the paddle shifts on the steering wheel. I drove a 991 turbo s today in tight canyon corners. I needed to use the shift in the center console on some corners because the shifters are attached to steering wheel. Mclaren doesnt have a secondary shifter. The Ferrari and lamborghini solution is far more practical and I hope that porsche and mclaren adjust to that. Overall a great car and congrats to whoever is one of the lucky ones

17. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    +1

18. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Someone has to say it. The 675 LT exhaust sound was boring. Fast car, boring sound. The interior was bland also IMHO.

19. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Let's hope the 488 doesn't fall to the same fate. I'm sorry people -- making a super light weight track car and then pumping in extra sound by speakers in the doors is pretty LAME. When I saw that in the Shmee video I just about puked. What the hell are we doing? Making 4 wheel video games?

I swear Kia will do this. They will make a new Hamstermobile and it will have electronic sound effects of a 12 cylinder car screaming at 9 grand.

20. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    I am the biggest Ferrari lover out there and have 2 but every serious review of the 675 LT shows its on a new driving performance level. Audi & others have been piping electronic noise for their diesels through the speakers for a while & the Major is completely right about Kia & Hyundai etc. However, if I look at the 675 exhaust and the track video it certainly sounds pretty good from the outside as it is. I've never wanted a McLaren until now....

Look what EVO says "the 675LT is all about driving though. The engine is mighty and so tractable. "The redline is also up at 8500.

McLaren 675LT review - prices, specs and 0-60 time | Evo

21. Jasone

Jasone Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 15, 2011
    Tampa Florida
    Full Name:
    Jasone
    I love the last paragraph. "The last of Ferrari’s glorious 458 Speciale may have left the factory but it still lives in our heart and minds, and for the money is one of the greatest cars of our time. It probably has the edge over the McLaren for ultimate thrills and those visceral sensations only Ferrari seem to be able to elicit..."

So glad i got a Speciale.

22. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #23 JoeZaff, Jul 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2015

The McLaren doesn't pump sound in via speakers. It essentially uses an electronically controlled resonator in the intake manifold which opens or closes to amplify the intake sound in the cabin. If you don't like it, you can just shut it off.... Nothing artificial about it. It's no worse than Ferrari tuning its engines to sound like an F1 car when the two have engines with virtually nothing in common.

Just my .02. FWIW, I was the last person on earth who ever thought he would own a McLaren. I've been a ferrari guy my entire life. However, once I drove the McLaren, it's simply so good, it could not be denied. I bought my 12c after a test drive I was so impressed and it just gets better and better.

I can't even imagine how good the 675lt must be because I got out of the 12c thinking it was damn close to perfect. Any Tifosi should be excited that McLaren is building such unbelievable cars...finally Ferrari has a true apples to apples competitor in the Supercar market and it will only result in both companies building better cars....and few could deny that dynamically speaking, ferrari is at the top of its game.

23. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    I feel the same as you do.

24. lamarmotte

lamarmotte Karting

Feb 5, 2014
    France
    #25 lamarmotte, Jul 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017