Restoration of XKE series III | FerrariChat

Restoration of XKE series III

Discussion in 'British' started by URAS, Aug 6, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    #1 URAS, Aug 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    #2 URAS, Aug 6, 2015
  3. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    #3 URAS, Aug 6, 2015
  4. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    Excellent. Restoration threads are my favorite. I have a series 1 coupe that is languishing in my garage waiting for me to divert some attention to it.

5. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    #5 URAS, Nov 11, 2015
    well almost there. it ended up being more panel work than initially thought....but better to be safe than have to redo it again a few years later. final alignment and prep and than, hopefully, paint booth end of next week. converted front and rear bumpers to 1972 euro style, including fabricating chrome panel between rear tail lights and getting rid of that horrible bumper rub sections. going back to the original blue exterior.
    driveline is being worked on and should be ready for early next month. interior is all done and waiting her highness.
    targeting may 1st as maiden drive.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    #6 URAS, Nov 20, 2015
    Rough bodywork now done. Blue primer sprayed. Finish the bottom, inside, and trunk this weekend, and ready for two stage paint next week sometime. Really starting to come together now.

7. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    #7 URAS, Nov 20, 2015
  8. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    azzure blue?

9. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    #9 URAS, Nov 21, 2015
    This is primer only. The finish coats will be dark blue (at least that is what jaq called it). Attached is a picture of the original colour before stripping.

10. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    Just checking the colour charts for jaq - azure blue is jaq-7435A.
    The dark blue is jag-529.

11. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    Love these.

12. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    NOTHING....looks as good as Jaguar deep navy blue contrast with the chrome bumpers and chrome wire wheels...

EXCELLENT CHOICE of colour..

13. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Hi,

I would say that in the photo the car has the (very lovely IMO) "Chromed Turbo Disc Wheels" that I would prefer. But what do I know, my V12 OTS is a 1972 European car in original white and chromed wire wheels. :D

Cheers,

Pekka T.
    Fin.

14. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    Car was left for me by a dear friend who passed away from cancer. She was the original owner and worked a full time and 2 part time jobs just to afford it. I am keeping it as original as possible in her memory. I have a WOW picture of her I took as she was driving, top down, hair blowing, her dog in the passenger seat, she with sunglasses and a designer style hat. She was the e-type. The only minor item I am changing is to install the euro bumpers with over-riders. I have though retained the original bumpers with the ugly LARGE over-riders in a shelf. Many people have tried to get me to change to wire wheels but I like the factory ones it came with. It is times like this I really miss Leda.

15. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Hi,

That's really cool. What I like more than the cars, are the stories of the original owners. Yes, I really, really like those chromed disc wheels with hubcaps. Besides when the Series 3 was new also race cars had moved from wires to alloys, new Ferraris and Maseratis would not have wires either, especially in Europe, as they were considered old fashioned. Sure they were available as optional, but Aston Martin did not even offer them on the new V8 (or DBS V8).

BTW the bumpers themselves are the same for MY1971 and MY1972 also in USA, only later cars (identifiable as US model year with the prefix, UD or UE) for 1973 (only in the front, with the metal strip) and 1974 (large rubber pad plus hydraulic damper both front and rear) had the "Federal" bumpers. Outside North America the bumbers just continued the way they were on the earlier cars. IMO it's not so bad with dark colours, like the Dark Blue, but is very visually disturbing with light colours like OEW and Pale Primrose.

Great project, please post more pics as you progress. And you could also add the car to: XKE Data - Keeping track of every Jaguar E-Type - Jaguar E-Type (XKE) information, articles, photos and register if you haven't already, with some old photos too to share and keep the legacy!

Cheers,

Pekka T. (and 1S20183)
    Fin.

16. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    With all due respect.
    Would love to see that pic
    I have owned 7 different e types since high school
    There are memories of each which hold a dear spot for me.

17. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    Michael, while I have been holding off on going through the boxes to sort out, I will do this over the next few weeks and post some pictures of Leda and her car.

18. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    #18 URAS, Jan 6, 2016
    shell now completed. looks amazing in the original dark blue. the metal fabricator has been amazing.
    shell now going to mechanical shop for reassembly. the driveline is almost complete, interior finished a year ago. suspension/steering to be completed.
    feeling comfortable that can make the maiden voyage by may 1st.

Michael, have not forgotten the pictures. just need to go through the boxes to sort out. I do want to frame a few of them with Leda and place in my garage around the e-type.

19. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    #19 URAS, Jan 6, 2016
    these are 3 pictures of the car the last time leda drove it just prior to her illness a couple of years ago. it did not have current plates or insurance but she drove it (I was a passenger) on the remote roads for about 2 miles and than back into her barn. she had not driven the car in a couple of years. leda lived in a remote conservation area which was about 3.5 hour drive from Toronto each way. I had travelled to her place to do some plumbing repairs and afterwards had washed her car. tires were virtually flat but fortunately they were able to pump up as they had not broken contact with the rims, and had to boost the battery....but the princess started up within 30 seconds of cranking. she asked me at that time to take the car as she could not drive it and had an older jeep for local use. I returned 2 weeks later to drive the car back to my house. another week after that, she was at my house for the next few months starting the cancer treatments.

20. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Verrr Nice Verrr Nice...

Is that Glasurit 2 stage??

Best blue ever!

21. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    yes. difficult to see inside as looks more grey/charcoal with the lighting. at times it looks almost blackish. but we rolled back the enclosure today while it was drying for the last week, and with the rollup door open, yes it was back to the same dark blue that is shown in the pre-resto pictures. other than two items.....exhaust and bumpers....and keeping the originals in storage....everything else is staying stock. a slight bump in compression and the meanest custom exhaust exiting through the oem quad tips.
    while each of my kids are special in their own way, my middle one was especially close to leda. she is getting married in two years after she finishes her grad studies and we are going to gift this to her and her spouse. some wider angle shots to follow

22. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    #22 URAS, Jan 8, 2016
  23. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    #23 URAS, Jan 8, 2016
  24. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Nice
    I hope you will be installing dynamat over entire cabin wall enclosure

25. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    #25 URAS, Jan 9, 2016
    For sure....benefit of current technology. Some additional pictures I found. I could never locate a tan interior with dark blue exterior in the jaq charts, but it obviously did come that way as shown in the original purchase agreement.