Ariel Atom 2 experiences? | FerrariChat

Ariel Atom 2 experiences?

Discussion in 'British' started by jzihla, Sep 2, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jzihla

jzihla Karting

Mar 26, 2010
    Carlsbad and Kauai
    Full Name:
    John Zihla
    Hello it's John Z here in San Diego. I am considering adding a 2007 Ariel Atom 2 as a back country driver to my stable. Does anyone have any first hand experience in driving this vehicle in remote mountains and deserts? Ive read all I can on it....and think Ive found a very nice car in Arizona....any of us Italian car lovers actually own.... or drive a slice of English revenge.....no Prince of Darkness jokes needed.....I am fluent in off-dim-and flicker.
    John Z

2. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    Had an early Brammo model with the ecotec. It was very quick - pretty much as fast off the line as anything you can buy. Yet it was versatile enough to use for in-town driving, thanks to the torquey engine. Mine didn't have a windscreen option, so I pretty much needed a helmet to use it, which kind of defeated the purpose for me.

All in all, it was a unique experience that you cant duplicate in a closed, heavier car. That said, now that I've crossed it off the last, I probably won't buy another.

3. jzihla

jzihla Karting

Mar 26, 2010
    Carlsbad and Kauai
    Full Name:
    John Zihla
    Thanks for the insight.....Im actually looking into the cost of adding the windshield option to the car. awaiting the info as we speak....apparently its doable.
    Does 45K sound out of line for a 1 owner 4100 supercharged ecotech 2007 with a fresh fluids service and 4 new tires?

4. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    I think condition and options matter more than anything else, so I can't say for sure without knowing more about the car and how it was used. Seems perhaps a bit high but not out of the ballpark compared to what I got for mine when I sold. What you want to look for the expensive options like carbon fiber tub and track components. Also some of the early cars had problems with the motor mounts but I think they fixed that much earlier than 2007. If your car is a California car with title and registration that's worth extra.

5. Steve

Steve Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Steve Jenkins
    I've got a 2006 Atom with the Ecotec.

There's an Arial Atom Chat forum: Ariel Atom Chat. Great place for Atom info.

6. jzihla

jzihla Karting

Mar 26, 2010
    Carlsbad and Kauai
    Full Name:
    John Zihla
    I stepped up a little on this one....one owner older gentleman 70 plus years old....only street driven....in South Dakota about 200 miles per year. Still on its first set of tires.....which we obviously replace due to age etc....4100 total miles. Every conceivable option in 2007.....ecotech. as new condition....I saw it in its home....and it was absolutely flawless condition...not a scratch to be found topside or bottom side. It is now an Arizona car....it is not Cali. registered. I need to buy new for that.....which seemed crazy money just to see if I like it....

7. 250P

250P Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2011
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    There's an off-road/on-road version as well now
    Ariel Nomad

8. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    You won't not like it. I have a couple superbikes and thats the closet thing you will ever get to the rawness of a bike. They are as fun as it gets IMO.

9. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    The closest thing to the rawness of a bike is a go-kart. This is a lot more refined than a go-kart, but a lot less than an enclosed sportscar. It's a fun toy. Personally, though, I would go for the off-road one!

10. jzihla

jzihla Karting

Mar 26, 2010
    Carlsbad and Kauai
    Full Name:
    John Zihla
    Well ......I bought it and have put 1000 miles on it so far and it has exceeded my expectations in every way.
    I really really dig this ride. Do yourself a favor....it is driving nirvana

11. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I still own the 2006 300hp Ariel Atom 3. I love the car it is veery quick tho not fast. I have tracked the car and top speed is 153 mph. That feels very fast when you are so close to the street.

I bought the car with a Honda engine. I avoided the GM power plant because of the electronics problems with the fuel injection.

ON paper the GM motor is a better power plant and maybe all of that has been fixed.

The handling is okay but the rear end comes out on high G turns. It snaps back easily tho. The guys at the factory are very skilled and several retired race car drivers. They can show you a lot about how to get the most out of the cars handling.

My car has been perfect. They are a lot of fun.

Best

Lee

12. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Winter race series with SRA coming to Florida. If you are interested, send me a PM.