This is it: The Bentley Bentayga | FerrariChat

This is it: The Bentley Bentayga

Discussion in 'British' started by Flash G, Sep 8, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Flash G

Flash G Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Bentley Bentayga (2016) revealed: first pictures of the controversy king

This is our first proper look at the new Bentley Bentayga With 600bhp on tap, the Bentayga is one seriously rapid SUV The Bentley Bentayga is claimed to reach 62mph from rest in 4.1sec The Bentayga employs fully mechanical, full-time 4wd Plenty of Bentley styling cues have been mapped onto the SUV's shell Beneath the Bentley design chops, an Audi Q7-sourced platform lurks Bentley Bentayga production car Bentley Bentayga production car Bentayga is the first with a tailgate. It's an electric one, naturally Wheels are 20in as standard - 22s are an option Many cows perished to bring you this picture The seats are manufactured by Bentley - they're not from external suppliers Bentley Bentayga interior 15 different colours of leather are available Both four- and five-seater Bentaygas are available Bentley Bentayga interior Bentayga uses an eight-speed auto gearbox Bentley Bentayga (2016) revealed: first pictures of the controversy king Clock is by Breitling - no plastic digital componentry here

It’s been three and a half years since Bentley first shocked the Geneva motor show (and the entire automotive world) when it pulled the covers from that SUV concept. Now, with the shockwaves just about subsiding, the production version’s landed: you’re looking at the first official pictures of the 2016 Bentley Bentayga, Crewe’s first 4x4.

Bentley Bentayga: design

The original EXP 9 F concept could politely have been termed ‘divisive’, but a great deal of its design has survived the transition to production, albeit with rather calmer details and graphics. The trademark Bentley ‘hips’ are still in place, as is the big upright Bentley grille, while the original bug-eyed headlight treatment has split into two smaller, unequally sized LED roundels like those of the Bentley Continental.

Wheels are a concept car-worthy 20 inches in diameter as standard, but it’s possible to upgrade to 21s or 22s. Plenty of customers will. A panoramic glass roof is standard; so is hands-free operation for the tailgate. That’s a first for Bentley, quite simply because there has never been a Bentley production car with a tailgate before.

Bentley describes the Bentayga as ‘the fastest, most powerful, most luxurious and most exclusive SUV in the world.’ And it certainly delivers on the speed front.

So how fast is the Bentley Bentayga?

Try 0-62mph in 4.1sec and 187mph flat out. This is an off-roader with the stats to humble supercar greats. Quite astonishing, really!

Providing the Bentayga’s considerable muscle is an appropriately vast and extravagant engine: a new 6.0-litre twin-turbocharged W12, hand-assembled at Crewe and developing a nice round 600bhp, and 664lb ft of torque. Half the cylinders can automatically shut down under partial load and the eight-speed automatic transmission’s torque converter is programmed to open while the car’s at a cruise in high gears, helping to save fuel and trim emissions. Still, at 292g/km of CO2 the Bentayga’s unlikely to make it onto Greenpeace’s company car fleet any time soon.

Will it be any good at going around corners?

The body and chassis are composed of aluminium, helping peg the kerb weight at 2422kg – on par with an aluminium Range Rover. The suspension features electrically adjustable active anti-roll bars and the standard air springs enable four ride heights. That includes a ‘kneel’ setting to make it easier to hop in and out, or attach a trailer – or, more likely, a horsebox. With a towing capacity of 3.5 tonnes, that’s something the Bentayga should be pretty adept at.

Will the Bentley Bentayga actually be able to go off-road?

Short answer, yes. It has a wading depth of 500mm, and the Drive Dynamics menu includes powertrain and chassis settings for sand, mud, gravel and snow (sound familiar, Land Rover?), although there’s no low-range system, nor diff locks, for the Bentayga’s mechanical, full-time four-wheel drive system.

It won’t be a match for a Range Rover’s go-anywhere abilities – but nor was it intended to be. Bentley understands that the majority of Bentayga customers won’t plan to stray far from the tarmac, although if they do it’ll cope better than many might give it credit for.

That’s quite some interior…

Indeed. Furnished with a 15 separate sections of trim, finished with a choice of seven different types of wooden veneer, this is one seriously opulent cabin. The seats are adjustable in 22 different ways (twenty-two!) and there’s a six-programme massage function built into the front seats. Customers can pick from 15 different colours of leather (many cows are sacrificed in the making of each Bentayga, it seems), and either four or five seats depending on how many passengers they’re likely to carry, and how much elbow room they’ll demand.

Anything else I should know?

Contrary to early rumours that the car would be built overseas, the Bentayga will be manufactured at Bentley’s established Crewe factory, which has been reconfigured at great expense. It will almost double production, creating 400 new jobs in the process. Its biggest market will be the USA, the company predicts.

Oh, and if you’re wondering about the name, it’s taken from a mountain summit in the Canary Islands called Roque Bentayga

2. Flash G

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
  3. Sunracer

Sunracer Formula Junior

May 18, 2005
    Makati City
    Full Name:
    Pierre Beniston
    ugly front end. rest OK

4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Every time I saw the prototype I vomited a little in my mouth.

I really like the finished product. Sure, a Q7, Cayenne or Touareg are technically the same thing but I'm really liking this. Wonder if it'll come with the V8 too? The noise will suit this car quite nicely.

5. TRScotty

TRScotty F1 Rookie
    Owner

Oct 12, 2006
    Tyler, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scotty
    Meh...

BUT

They will sell like wildfire.

The Kartrashians will blow these things up and the rest will be marketing platinum to the spoiled trophy-wives of anywhere with an internet connection.

Austin, Dallas and Houston will not be navigable without seeing a dozen or so of these in the near future...:D

6. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I kind of like it!

7. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    I like it too, unfortunately my wife thinks only G-Wagen an Range Rover are real SUVs, all else are just pretenders.

8. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    You must picture it in black with 22" rims. Oh, and how many socker-balls will the boot hold?
    I don't understand anything at all of this thing, except that VW takes many for fools and will make a bundle.

Best,

Jack.

9. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Ugly and boring to look at. Will sell by the thousands.

10. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjYGOBHnee0[/ame]

11. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    I would go for the Audi Q5 or BMW X6.

12. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Found this online as well.
    http://youtu.be/9RLol0mweX8
    I agree with Christopher, the concept car interior was better IMO. It was pimping to the nth degree, which in the unlikely event I'd ever buy a Bentley SUV, I'd opt for total pimp! 😀
    T

13. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_PGzvnE4KY[/ame]

14. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Is that Jean Reno? How cool would a remake or sequel to The Professional with Jean running amok in a Bentayga be? Add in the lovely Natalie Portman reprising her role as Mathilda, and Bentley sales would go through the roof!
    T

15. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOXLjl6w6Uw[/ame]

16. any_1

any_1 Formula 3

Sep 6, 2006
    Sweden
    The clock on the dash obviously costs USD 150K...

17. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    Also add pointless, but you are right will sell a ton. Got to hand it to VAG they know their customers and how a badge can sell.

18. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    And who exactly is going to take this thing off road?

19. nut4cars

nut4cars Rookie

Dec 8, 2011
    West Side
    Ugly.................., just Ugly.!

Sorry, my apologies.
    Forgot to mention.

Gaudy also.....

20. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    Some detail others haven't covered. Unless you like this thing, not worth the time, IMO:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV9lngeh-OM[/ame]

21. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aurdo85GuHs[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZeJoaloomY[/ame]

22. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Brave ladies fighting potholes and minivans on a parking lot at Saks or Neiman's.

23. Flash G

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Exactly.