1964 XKE | FerrariChat

1964 XKE

Discussion in 'British' started by Oengus, Sep 11, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Im looking at a 1964 XKE coupe ....full off restoration. (3.8L)

What should I expect to be paying?

Thanks

chas

2. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

if a true jcna 98-100 pointer...well north of $100K could be possible.

3. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

I would expect north of 150k. Etype pricing is quite hard to pinpoint. Looked at Monterey sales and I was surprised they seamed lower than I expected.

Coupes were much less than ots, but I believe the gap has narrowed. Regardless good luck on the hunt, if I were getting another it would be a series 1 coupe.

65 model year had some changes, 4.2 engine, syncromesh all gears, more comfy seats (I liked the look of the earlier buckets)

4. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

do updated synchro gear boxes, ss brake lines, better brakes hurt the value of a series 1?
    I would think purists would knock them but as far as driving reliability etc it makes sense,.

Ive done bunch of research but seems everybody is on the fence as far as that goes.
    Im wanting as mentioned above a 3.8 coupe. Obviously 100k ish so I want to make sure I do this right.

5. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

I agree with the original buckets.

6. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    #6 lopena, Sep 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Certain limited upgrades to a Series 1 E-type make good sense (upgraded radiator, brakes, distributor) because those changes make the car more reliable and are easily reversible in the future if someone wants to go back to bone-stock. Putting in a fully synchronized five-speed gearbox may also be a good idea provided the matching-numbers Moss gearbox stays with the car (again, to go back to stock if desired).

Personally, I love the challenge of driving my '64 E-type roadster with the old crashbox four-speed and wouldn't consider the five-speed upgrade.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login