I just won this E type on BAT | FerrariChat

I just won this E type on BAT

Discussion in 'British' started by Oengus, Sep 17, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
  2. steveintoronto

steveintoronto Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2007
    Gorgeous. BAT is a great website. Drive her the way she is meant to be driven.

3. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Congrats!!! I love BAT and had been following that auction. That looks to be a really nice example. I am on the hunt for an older car and I was awfully tempted by this car. Enjoy. Look forward to hearing about it once you get it home.

4. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    Chas...!!...you're Angus?!?...way to go dude!!...like I said on BAT,I'm seriously impressed and a touch envious...it's a beauty.
    Selling the AS put it in the garage,dinnit?
    When you get it home,let us know about your new toy.
    Again,big way to go!
    Cheers,
    RE

5. riozilla

riozilla Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Congrats! Beautiful etype! I have a silver '66 FHC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Yup its me Ralph... :))

7. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    Love the birth date connection..no way on earth you were missing that car..it was foreordained..really impressed. You done good...
    Have your hands stopped shaking yet?
    Too soon to tell,maybe,but you gonna use Intercity? I'm sorta curious for a reason...
    I got a BAT story too..but later. I'm over there alla time making snide remarks...
    Cheers,
    RE

8. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

ha
    pm me your story later

9. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Nice pick up - I was watching this one, she's a keeper! Good luck and enjoy!

10. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

very sweet!!!!!!

11. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  12. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    Angus..er,Chas and guys
    Look at another E-coupe on Bat this week...pretty pretty car..Canadian?..color change?..restored but bonnet weld issues?whut?..but it shure looks nice(but not as nice as your BlackBeauty,Chas)but close.
    And again tempted,but I gotta be on the road Tuesday so won't be able to bid,but damn. And I'm sure nfw to bid from my 6..like you did.
    I'll have popcorn...to see where this ends...eventually,tho.
    Cheers,
    RE

13. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

Yeah I saw that one
    Looks pretty nice
    Will be interesting to see where it ends up
    There's a nice one on eBay with a buy it now for 106

14. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    It amazes me how unloved and dismissed the series 3,2+2,auto coupe is...is the v12 that much of a maintenance nightmare?...I've read they can be a bear..maybe a series2,2+2,4sp is the economical way to have a sniff of the Jag fun on the E train...tho a funky looking baby at a certain angle,from the outside..looks like spare parts,innit..but y'know from inside its all Jag,betcha,and that's what wheez aiming at...😉
    Cheers,
    RE

15. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    the 67 2+2 will eventually be the rarest of all etypes. thus one of the most valuable.

16. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Unfortunately, low production does not equate to value. Demand far out trumps scarcity. Ask any TVR owner.

17. so_choice

so_choice Formula Junior

Dec 25, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Absolutely stunning! Congratulations!

18. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    Congratulations! I was watching that car as well. Beautiful color combination.

It's really interesting how popular BaT has become. At a recent car club meeting, all anyone was talking about was cars on BaT. They have a great format with their auctions, and it's always nice to see a non-corporate entity succeed. Nice guys as well.

19. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Hi,

Having had an E-type as my first car and having driven them around quite a lot, the basic answer is "no". :) but they do need care, like any car, especially old sports cars.

The V12 can be scary to some mechanics and owners, but in general, all of these just require the factory ROM and follow the instructions carefully.

I have done that and never had any serious trouble.

Typical mistakes are bypassing or cutting off things without knowledge. If the mixture is too lean or the ignition is retarded they can run too hot and drop valve guides etc. typically things inside the (mechanical, but without points) distributor can have become seized if the car has sat too long without proper service.

Of course someone can also get scared of the fact that replacing the clutch is an engine out operation and can take two men one week, but that's not very different to some Ferraris and other sports cars.

Our current V12 is an European spec roadster (OTS 1S20183) and AFAIK the engine has never been out or apart. She was sold new in Belgium in July 1972 and I have now driven three summers and 18.000km of the total 88.000km on the ODO. Carbs need rebuilding every 40.000km or I would say 5-10 years, just did them last winter.

I could rebuild the triple SU's on our Series 1 2+2 in one night. The four Z-S's took me five nights...but not impossible, just a bit more laborsome. :)

For my liking a manual car was a must, but the automatics are surely fine as well, I just have always prefered manual cars, for many different reasons. I don't know how to service or repair automatics.

The big problem on these cars is rust, the mechanicals are laborsome, but perfectly doable for even a hobby mechanic. The bodywork (steel monoque and subframes) can be a challenge, and can turn expensive is it requires major work by a professional shop.

They are a joy to drive when all is right. With shot bushes and wheel angles all over the place they are scary. Just had two good runs this weekend with the top down, I think perhaps last nice and sunny weekend for us this year! (It's getting dark, and rainy and colder)

Cheers,

Pekka T.
    Fin.

20. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    Pekka,
    Thanks..that's a great post..wonderful you can do what you do...I might be able to test compression on a Jag in-line six(plugs:right there!)..but any more my fingers might lock up😉...And I know the six sings a beautiful song when stepping out but have heard the twelve really hits the notes!
    Thanks again and cheers,
    RE
    NC

21. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Congrats man! Great colour combo on that car. :)

22. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

Thanks Pap........how you been pal?

23. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Congrats on your purchase - my PM box is full, but post pics when you get a chance!

24. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    Rich,
    Will do..gonna lay low,not jinx anything till the eagle has landed..but a pic or two may well be in order.
    My stomach is still in a knot...😅
    Cheers,
    RE