64 etype tires | FerrariChat

64 etype tires

Discussion in 'British' started by Oengus, Sep 20, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

#1 Oengus, Sep 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    225/60/15 maybe?

should be 6.40x15

3. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

thx Ken....for some reason they look bigger/wider than that?
    hey where in CT r u?
    We have a place on the coast in Guilford...

4. jnk

jnk Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2010
    those are 70 profile tires. I suspect 215-70-15 As a general rule 225 would rub quite a bit under the wheel wells

5. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Ah, appears they were a bit bigger. I live in New Fairfield, I get out to the coast a bit here and there, unfortunately gone though until next driving season. Is the E yours? Good looking car.

6. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    They do look big, that's all I can say - no idea what the actual size is.

7. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Not 60 series, those in pic are too tall.....I say 205 or 215 /70..they might rub if not on a relaced offset wheel.

IMO.. this is what fits in max size without widening arches either 205 /70 or 215 /65..
    going to 60 series in 225 , would rub still.

8. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

#8 Oengus, Sep 25, 2015
    Nope mine delivers next week
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

Are they 5" or 6" wheels?

10. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Personaly I would fit the original equipment radial tyres for that car 185R15 Pirelli Cinturato ™ CA67 | Longstone Tyres It will look and drive best like that. Series 1 fitted 640H15 Dunlop RS5 which is no longer being made. 185-15 Dunlop SP41 which hasn't been made for a long time, mainly because they were not up to the capabilities of the E-type and if you specified that you wanted them Jaguar used to restrict the speed of the e-type.

Jaguar also fitted 185Vr15 Pirelli Cinturato CA67 HS to these cars, if you could afford them. They are still the best tyres for the car.

If yo99u like the look of these cars with wider tyres the best ones are 205/70VR15 Pirelli Cinturato or 205/70VR15 Michelin XWX

215 and 225 are to big.

Regards

Dougal

11. D-F

D-F Rookie

Sep 5, 2015
    Im with jnk on the dimension. That said, those look like balloons, so ugly. Much better with original. Nice alternative is 185/65R15 on original rims, looks very low profile on -60ies classic cars, will comfortably fit rims as narrow as 4.5" when using quality soft side tires like Pirelli.

12. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    #12 Fennicus, Oct 9, 2015
    Hi,

I don't know about Jaguar fitting any Pirellis in the 1960's, later sure (like the 1980's) but the company used to be next door neighbors with Dunlop in Coventry and the Dunlop "Aquajet" ER70 tyres were developed together with the XJ6 project and they were also the tyres fitted to the V12 E-types.

But for the 6-cyl cars with original 5" rims the first radials fitted by the factory were Dunlops in 185R15 size.

On the Jag-forums and Jag-Lovers only tyres and oils have been *discussed* beyond any interest. And people judge them with so different goals and criteria.

During the last 20 years and a couple of hundred thousand km's (a few times over the Alps and around in Europe) I have learned to like what they originally had, after all the whole suspension works together with the tyres, and Norman Dewis did not do a million miles on Jaguars on a test track for nothing.

Nowadays you can get new Dunlop SP41's also in the correct speed rating, for instance from Vintage Tyre in Beaulieu in the UK (no affiliations, just a happy customer).

Some American friends insist on Vredestein Sprint Classics in the same 185/70R15 size.
    I had also Michelin XVS 185/70VR15 that I was happy with, but IMO the Dunlop SP41 185/70VR15 were the best, on track, on the street, gravel and snow!

Cheers,

Pekka T.
    Fin.

13. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

no question it is a 70 series tire. just not sure if it is a 205, 215 or 225?

14. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

mine are 205/70 and certainly don't look that beefy

15. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #15 msdesignltd, Oct 9, 2015
    Back then..Racing was just as important to Jaguar as it was to Enzo..
    Big Tires were a must..

Geeeeeeze...This is a beautiful specimen.
    see how the front flare leaves just enough room for tire to turn..
    Name one car that can top this look????...besides the P4

16. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #16 msdesignltd, Oct 9, 2015
  17. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    #17 rdefabri, Oct 9, 2015
    I have skinny Red Lines, which Terry Lippincott (the man who worked on my car) hates. Thought I should upgrade, but I'm not racing the car, and they look "right" to me. A little "Hot Wheels" IMHO...

18. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    Rich,luv the thin red lines,Terri not withstanding..
    Mike,demand a color pic of your #8..capice?
    Pekka,I have a question but,hmm,later..😉
    Cheers,
    RE

19. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    To Each his own...Thats what makes the world go round..

IMO....You should crank up the torsion bars front a few splines...
    You too are sitting too low..it improves the pride look these cats have!!!!
    Rear coil overs either adjust up or sit on a new plate or new shocks????

20. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Sure, no hurry, I don't have that car anymore, it's the only one I have sold.

I don't think those pics showed it, but that car still had a NC inspection decal on the lower left corner of the windshield, last inspected there in 1989, valid until 1990, but apparently there was a mechanical problem and the car was sold as a project and shipped to Germany in 1992.

Btw the "problem" turned out to be the small nut for the points that bad gotten loose and jammed the weights in the bottom of the distributor and the distributor had then jumped off the drive. Nothing bigger than that. :eek:

The car had been sold new in MD and stayed in a small area (I think I have that info still somewhere, Glen Burnie MD, Hagerston and then some place in NC. When we had the head off in 2010 it was pretty sure the mileage must have been 112k miles as the engine had not been rebuilt except new shells for the bearings and new piston rings, no boring or milling. We took just 0.100 in mm off the head, the block was not skimmed at all. I have photos somewhere.

Regarding these Dunlops on snow I have also a very humble amateur home movie in Youtube from that one skiing trip in 2012, no problems at all. Wide tyres are a problem in the snow, and gravel and in the wet, but narrow track, long wheelbase and narrow tyres with a limited slip diff are nice if you know how to drive. ;)

Ok, racing is different, but many of the pics are from later years, in 1961 and 1962 they used the 5" rims in front and 5.5" in the rear and only slightly wider tyres (Dunlop RS.5) and I think they knew what they were doing. BTW if you want to drive fast, they do work well, you just have to het used to the light feel. IMO it's the closest I have been to flying. :D At 135-140Mph.

21. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    Pekka,
    Is that a 2+2 with a fabric sunroof? Was it factory?
    Who's that in the backseat,doing lookout?
    I'll ask tire things later..hmm,don't want to jinx anything.
    Cheers,
    RE
    ..ps,I remember those awful NC insp stickers,no way to get the leftover sticky crud off the dash much less glass..glad they stopped that bit of stupid

22. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Hi,

Ok, cool. In that pro shot from Switzerland, if you look closer you can see that there are four people inside the car. :) It is a 2+2 after all.

That was the E-type's 50th Anniversary Rally in Saanen Switzerland, and our oldest daughter was at a camp in Finland, I drove the car through Sweden and Denmark, took a train from Hamburg and spent a few days in Annecy, France and was joined by my wife and younger daughter (11yr at the time) and 8 yr old son, who's cap and Ray-Bans you can see peeking behind me. Before Saanen we had visited Saint-Tropez, Bra and Aosta. Over 3000 lovely miles and twice over the mountains (the 2nd time over St. Bernhard).

Yes it's a so called Webasto sunroof, period equipment, but never factory installed. I've been in debates about them many times, and the reason the factory never installed them was that it was a bit like tow bars etc. Why would they, when there were professional shops next door in Coventry or Allesly doing that every day. I have seen (and can share in case someone is really intersted) cars that were sold new with a fabric (in this case same kind of vinyl as the XJC and E-type hoods (tops) since ca 1964) sunroof like this, with a warranty card etc.

At first when putting the car together (I bought it as a basket case) I thought I did not like it as it would spoil the lines of the nice curvy roof. But on our first big European trip in 1999 when it was over +30C (86F) and sunny on the Autobahn, I sure was happy we could open that thing (no A/C in Series 1 cars) and later when I had also attached the front air spoiler it was very comfortable up to 100km/h (60+Mph). Going faster you would want to close the roof first.

Later I really learned to love that sunroof, so after all I was glad a PO had gotten it in the first placeq. I do have pics of the car before it was installed, it never had that in the US, only after it had arrived in Germany.

What else was there? Ok, that's probably enough for now. :) oh, I never thought I would remove that insp. sticker, I like things on my cars that show where they have been over the decades. That one had a hilarious detail: "Approved to be used only in daylight" text which some folks did laugh at. But I had to tell them it was not because of the covered headlamps, that text had a tick-box which was unmarked, but I guess it shows that back then you could have a vehicle approved for daylight use only in NC. 8)

Cheers,

Pekka T.
    Fin.