E-Type debut | FerrariChat

E-Type debut

Discussion in 'British' started by AHudson, Sep 29, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    #1 AHudson, Sep 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Last weekend, after 2 very long years having a car nibbling at my net worth during a full resto and commanding attention like a spoiled child, my E type made its public debut.

Felt fortunate it even got accepted into the Santa Fe Concourso, since on catalog photo day, it didn't even have an interior. (Well it did, but it just happened to be in another city.)

The night before the event, I caught a glimpse of it inside a dark trailer, looking all menacing and shiny. The next day we drove it for 80 miles, touching 85mph on a stretch, feeling that twin cam 6 pull us through the New Mexico hills and endless vistas.

Yet amid a field of very very worthy contenders, it was fun to show the car. Here are some pics of the 'big debut weekend'...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    very nice. what is the purpose of the large bolts in the airbox?
    congrats

3. chipbiii

chipbiii F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 26, 2008
    SC
    Full Name:
    chipb
    It's simply hard to beat the iconic Series One E-Type for beauty and awe. Sadly, I sold my red with biscuit interior '66 Roadster a few years back. Sure wish I had it back. I still have a few pristine parts for it though. Enjoy!

4. ghibliman

ghibliman Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2009
    B E A U T I F U L!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats :)

5. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Congrats..was that a jaguar club north america recognized event??
    You should be up around 99.? points in perfection..
    Nice Job..

Oh you showed the car minus the interior???

We Need More Pics..

6. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    #6 AHudson, Sep 29, 2015
    Ha! The interior did make the show. Barely. Was just cleverly 'not in view' in the catalog pictures.

And if JCNA people had been there, I'd have been flogged with bad wiring, slathered in escaped differential fluid. I made some concessions that allow me to drive the car more: wheels, tires, brake pads, cooling that cools, a clock that works, dyna matted interior, couple cosmetic things that I like, all very reversible.

No matter I guess, as the Jag won its class.

The Aston next to it was so nice it made me dizzy. The owners are even nicer (Hi Alberto and Julie!). The Lancia, Porsches down the way, the Ghibli on the other side... all just mouth-watering.

Sorry, this pic barely shows the interior, and still has plastic on the seats since the show was the next day. Gonna dig out the good pics my wifey took.

7. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Beautiful car Addams, enjoy it for many years. They look so much better without the amco bars across the front and rear bumpers.

I also would be interested to know why they put the bolts in the air box. Do you also have the wing nuts?

8. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    That car is simply GORGEOUS! The tires do look a bit large, and the steering wheel looks after-market, but is probably less flimsy than the original.

Looks/sounds like you've made some smart mods (the concours judges be d***ed - I can say that, I are one!). :)

gp

p.s. - show it in JCNA "Driven" class, and you'll find that you have a near perfect car (I'm betting). ;)

9. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    I actually considered the Amco bars, just couldn't bring myself to drill the holes! (Also why my radio will come with integrated antenna.)

The bolts in the airbox are holding a rigid piece underneath, but I may get him to change that back. Wasn't my choice, but we're cool and he's doing some tweaking as we speak.

You mean 'wing nuts' for the wheels? (Sometimes called 'eared spinners' too I think.) If so, 'Yes', this has every single Series 1 feature, yet I did push for the aluminum pump, stainless header tank, two cooling fans (puller and pusher) plus the stainless header. Car is suprisingly not loud at all. I mean, I can scarcely tell it has a header.

Tires are 205/70 x 15, so not that darn large! I've seen mountain bikes with larger tires than the stock E type, so I had to do this. It was a force of nature!

Steering wheel is 100% stock. Refinished by me my own self. Therefore overdone. (Cyanoacrylite in every possible seam, clamped for days, then UV cleared with Marine Poly.)

Ha! "Driven" class. Wasn't even aware of such, so that's a great idea. Now that I can tolerate!

10. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    wing nuts for the airbox. which were also missing on michaels red ots.

11. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

absolutely stunning A.....congrats

12. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Beautiful…that motor really is a piece of jewelry!

13. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Hi,

The original inner brackets are pop riveted and the rivets tend to shake loose in time due to vibration. So I think that's someone's idea on how they should be fixed.

The mentioned wing nuts are on the plenum side to keep the box attached (not visible from that angle). They also shake loose sometimes, especially if the (spring) shakeproof washers are worn.

Very early cars did not have the grooves on the fibreglass box, but IIRC the grooves were added to make it stronger and less prone to cracking or tearing in service.

Also the AC canister under that box that houses the big round air filter used to be black until ca.1965 when it also changed to silver hammerite.

Cheers,

Pekka T.
    Fin.

14. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.

Hi,

Great looking car, I think it must be a 1965 or 1966 4.2L OTS?

I like the colour combo, blue over blue (my 1st E was Opal. Dark Green over Suede Green) I think that's Opal. Silver Blue over Dark Blue? (hard to tell from digital photos, the metallic colours are so dependent on lighting and contrasts)

The "Sugar scoops" (the concave metal part under the headlamp glass covers) should be painted silver (in all but very few very early 3.8's in 1961) unless the glasses are retrofitted to a "S1.25" or S1.5 car that originally came with open headlamps? It's a touchy subject to some, but perfectly normal to confuse, as some cars that came from the factory with covered headlamps in 1967 were converted either by dealers or owners who wanted to "facelift" a 1967 model year car to look like a 1968 etc. back then.

Cheers,

Pekka T.
    Fin.

15. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    Yes, Opalescent silver blue over Navy. I chose to paint my scoops body color, looks more uniform to me, easily reversible. Mine's an early 67.

There are many things we did intentionally in the resto for safety, performance, reliability. All reversible, but currently preferred by me for one reason: driving.

16. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    Okay, replying to my own post but tomorrow the E type is supposed to be delivered - finally - to my home. I've done some 'nesting' by cleaning up the garage and making a space for what my wife is calling "The Queen of England". Looking forward to the coronation.

17. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Nice!
    All thats left to do is wax the wax..!
    until springtime..

The heater in my car is great ....In the summer...not so good in winter..

18. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    #18 AHudson, Nov 4, 2015
    Ha! The car is dirtier than it looks right now after 1,350 miles in the back of a trailer, but I am just so glad to finally have it where I can use it. Still getting used to its new roommates...