Thinking of buying used AM Vantage V8... | FerrariChat

Thinking of buying used AM Vantage V8...

Discussion in 'British' started by Jeff328, Oct 5, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    Am I crazy?

I've been kicking around the idea of buying an earlier Vantage V8 (usually a 2007 model) for a couple years, and have finally come across one that ticks all the cosmetic boxes for me. It's the first one I've seen in the exact color combinations I would choose, with the right wheels, etc. It's been lowered (don't know the details yet but it looks fantastic) and has an aftermarket exhaust. It's a 6-speed and has a fair amount of optional equipment, all things that I would choose if I was making one for myself. It has less than 12k miles.

I've owned my Ferrari for 9 years so have some experience owning a fiddly car that I rarely drive yet costs a pile of money to keep up. I can afford to pay cash for the Aston. I'm not too worried about the purchase price or saving the last thousand dollars there. I'm more worried that it will eat me out of house and home with ridiculous reliability problems, etc. My Ferrari mechanic says he can work on it, so that's a good sign?

I've searched fchat and saw a few threads related to the Vantage V8, with one guy saying the car is completely trouble-free and another guy saying it is a complete disaster.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who owns or has owned one. Reassure me or scare me away...

2. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    I have had exactly the same thoughts but never pulled the trigger on the move. I'll watch this space with interest. Good Luck!

3. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Over the years I have been tempted by Aston's many times (most recently earlier this year a DB9 coupe), I have always found them gorgeous on the outside but not that special once you get into the drivers seat. I ended up buying a BMW 650i (a loaded rep demo car and then gave it the Dinan treatment as well as lightweight wheels and non runflats). I never compared an AM to any of my Ferrari's (or the Lambo), would have been unfair since I see them as GT cars not sports cars, though even as a GT car it just did not give me the feeling I expected (my Abarth is more fun to drive), so I think I have finally got the AM desire out of my system. There is an AM forum out there (I cannot remember the name), do a search there are some good people on it who can give you more info on ownership. Good Luck.

4. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I really enjoyed my AMV8 (2007, 6sp manual), and it sold to another Fchatter this summer, up in Boston. Maybe mine was an anomaly, but I had no issues with it at all.

5. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    I've put 4k miles on mine this year so far and no issues (09 V8V). I see you're in Wisconsin, if you get to Chicago I'm happy to let you take her out for a spin.

6. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    Thanks for the offer! I'm actually going to be at Lake Forest Sports Cars on Saturday afternoon test driving one I'll probably buy if it checks out OK and we can come to an agreement.

There are tons of great people on Fchat! The guy that bought Daniel's (Ricambi America) AMV8 earlier this year sent me his phone number and we talked for almost an hour, others have offered up valuable information offline, and now there's someone volunteering their own car for an orientation ride. Gotta love it!

This adventure is going to be my first official implementation of my new policy to regret things that I have done rather than regretting things that I didn't do. :)

7. MME

MME Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Marty
    Agree. I have a 2014 DB9 volante. Looks good inside and out, but that's it.

8. Jalpa_Mike

Jalpa_Mike F1 Rookie

Apr 2, 2004
    Sequim
    Full Name:
    Michael Wilson
    Aston has used the same names for so long, its hard to differentiate between them without seeing the model year.

Everytime I see V8 Vantage, this is what I think the of! I would love to have this one!!!!

Autosport Designs

Mike

9. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    My original post says 2007 model year. But I would also love the late '70s, early '80s model like the one you linked. Not in my price range theses days, I don't think.

10. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan

Ooohhhh that's good. I may have to borrow that.

11. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Absolutely, standing offer should you want.. or at least for another month until she hibernates for a little bit :)

12. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    Please, feel free! I borrowed it, as well. Although now I can't remember from where...

Another new favorite I heard on TV the other day - Life's a roller coaster, but I'm tall enough to ride!

13. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    Appreciate it! Although I'm afraid to sample a 4.7 and ruin the 4.3's for me. :)

14. Jalpa_Mike

Jalpa_Mike F1 Rookie

Apr 2, 2004
    Sequim
    Full Name:
    Michael Wilson
    #14 Jalpa_Mike, Oct 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    +1

My wife and I toured the factory in 1987. I was in love with those V8's. Amazing cars!!!!

Mike
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I have spent most of my life doing things that way, trust me it was very costly!

16. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    Well, I drove the car and I really like it. I drove it 3 times, about 20 minutes or so each time, and it drove much better than I was thinking it would. Made an offer, waiting to finalize the deal hopefully this week. I got the build sheet, looks like the car has every option except power pack (which is extremely rare), it's painted a custom color, and maintenance records show all services and campaigns properly completed. Original 7-spoke 19" wheels were replace a couple years ago with newer Aston Martin 5-spoke lightweight 19" wheels, which I like a lot better than the 7-spokers. It has a Quicksilver SuperSport Plus exhaust with hi-flow cats. I brought along my own OBD scanner and checked for any stored codes (there were none) and also checked to make sure all the OBD readiness flags were set. They were surprised I brought along tools and diagnostic equipment, apparently that's not typical for buyers of this kind of car, but didn't hesitate to let me do whatever I wanted to inspect the car.

17. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Awesome! Keep us posted.

18. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Jeff,

I owned a 2009 DB9 for a couple of years. Probably one of the most beautiful cars on the road. Tungsten silver over obsidian black. Gorgeous. Did everything well and had no major issues. Will never understand why Aston depreciates like a stone. Such a timeless virtually hand built classic. I would say buy one and get it out of your system. The best way to buy one is used as most of the depreciation will be taken out of the equation. Having said that I'm looking forward to the launch of the DB11 next year. It's an Aston Martin AMG collaboration. German engineering and electronics with Aston styling..could be a winner😊

19. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

I agree. it made me pause for a moment...it makes perfect sense to me.

20. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    Deal is done! It's being detailed a bit before I pick it up. Will be a few days before I get to take possession.

Graz - that stone-like depreciation is the only way I'm able to own one! Most people have no idea that they could own a V8 Vantage for less than the purchase price of a new BMW 328. Maintenance is a bit more than a BMW but the pricing I've seen at the local AM dealer is not insanely crazy. The crazy prices are at the BMW dealer!

21. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Yes! Congratulations! Do you have any pics you can share?

22. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    #22 Jeff328, Oct 12, 2015
  23. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    #23 Jeff328, Oct 12, 2015
  24. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Great Jeff. Enjoy it in good health. Post pics when you can.

25. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Wow that's beautiful!!