Jaguar XJ12 | FerrariChat

Jaguar XJ12

Discussion in 'British' started by zudnic, Nov 9, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Its a very hard car to find in collectible condition here. Especially the series III built between 1979 and 1992. All the ones I find might be good drivers, but they are not clean enough to be trailer queens. I believe its the most beautiful sedan ever made styling wise. Think in another 10 to 15 years, a very low mile show car will be worth a lot of money. In the U.S., you could order one, but it wasn't officially available in the U.S. in V12 form. U.S. customers therefore mostly bought the XJ6. You see the 12 on EBay, Hemming's, etc. Its always a Canadian market car with high kilometers, needing paint and interior work. Its tough to find one, rarely driven, excellent paint and interior. A show car XJ12, since its rare, its like chasing Unicorns!

Anyone else like the original XJ?

2. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Why the distinction through 92? I thought that body style started in 88 or 89?

Here is a 94 with 52K on it near my on craigslist.

1994 Jaguar XJ12 4D Sedan

3. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Hi,

Sure, but most of them were in fact sold to the US. It's a very long story to tell why the 1986 annonnced XJ40 was not available as a V12 and thus Series 3 production continued from 1987 all the way to 1992.

Perhaps most of them either rotted away (a BIG problem on all Jaguars) or were victims of "cash for clunkers" or similar programs?

I like the SWB Series 1 XJ12 the most, they were carb'd just like my V12 E-type, but unlike the E-type they were all automatics (BW12 and from ca. 1977 GM TH400) and from 1975 onwards they had EFI. All Jaguar V12's have electronic ignition.

But frankly I do not think they are going to get expensive anytime soon, there are so many of them around. The XJ12C's, meaning the 2-door coupés, are beginning to appreciate a bit, but still they do not cost more than a 328 or 308GTBi, actually a lot less.

Anyone who wants a 1970's V12 with four doors does not have too many options.
    I find also the last SWB 6.0L XJ12's from 1995-97 very interesting youngtimers, you can also find a nice one for just a few thousand dollars, now there's quite a lot of car for every dollar.

Cheers,

Pekka T.
    Fin.

4. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Hi,

Only for the XJ6 in 1987 MY. For the V12 the new body (and completely new ECU's and the can bus electrical system) did not come before 1993 MY, then there was the more round facelift for 1995 MY and in late 1997 the V12 was dropped in favor of the new 4-cam alloy V8.

Chees,

Pekka T.
    Fin.

5. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    The series III updated by Pininfarina body style was only available from 1979 to 1992. The latter XJ's, different platform and only shared some of the same style.

Series I and II they sold them with the V12 in the states. For the series III they didn't sell the V12 XJ in the states. The only V12 Jaguar available officially in the U.S. was the XJS. You could special order the XJ12 in the U.S, but very few people did. You can search any classified site in the U.S and you'll never find an XJ12 from 79 to 92 that is an American market car. Everyone available in the U.S. will be a former Canadian market car guaranteed. Always at least 4 or 5 on Canadian Autotrader or craigslist, but they are always $2k high mileage junk.

6. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    The Series III XJ's are among my favorite cars ever. XJ40's not so much. The X300 was ok (I had an x300 XJR) but the X308 and newer and really nice cars. I have an X351 and its fantastic.

-dsd