Looking at a 2007 Vantage V8 - Manual | FerrariChat

Looking at a 2007 Vantage V8 - Manual

Discussion in 'British' started by Ericspider, Nov 17, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ericspider

Ericspider Karting

Aug 9, 2014
    Texas Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Hi guys, looking at a 2007 with 75K miles....what do i need to look for? anything that is a common watchout?

Has the check engine dummy light on and says to "service emissions" on the tach messenger.

I think i can get it for around 30K....good deal? or run?

2. Zeus

Zeus Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2007
    Palm Beach
    Full Name:
    Lawrence
  3. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

Have you considered a jaguar xkr?

510 hp and Aston like good looks!! Just a thought.

4. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    I have a manual '07 V8V, but mine only has 12k miles on it. My car and Zeus' are practically twins.

6speedonline is a good resource, also pistonheads.com and amoc.org have useful forums.

The cars are overall pretty solid. The "service emissions" light is one of the most common pains in the a$$ this car has. Lots of things can cause it. I just went through fixing mine. One of the post-cat O2 sensors failed. I replaced them both, that cost me $940.

The clutches are notoriously weak. At 75k miles, if it hasn't been replaced it is surely ready to be replaced. And a clutch job on this car is not cheap. Figure at least $4500 to have the clutch replaced at an independent shop, and $6,000+ at an AM dealer. I'm replacing my clutch this winter with a massively upgraded unit and figure it will cost me about $5500. Mine isn't worn out yet but I don't want to worry about it.

Parts are ridiculously expensive. Figure parts and oil alone to DIY an oil change cost $200. I don't know if you have a Ferrari, but the V8V costs much more to maintain than my Ferrari 328. But damn, I love the Aston!

5. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    At 75k clutch should've been replaced 2-3 times by now. A lot of miles but at $30k you shouldn't lose your shirt.

6. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    A V8V is on my perpetual short list, and I will end up owning one at some point. The clutch issues have been one thing that has worried me about them. What is this upgraded clutch unit you speak of? Any links where I can read up on it? That sounds very appealing to me. Is it just an upgraded disc or does it upgrade other parts as well?

Also, is your car a manual of sport shift?

7. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    I love my V8V more than any other car I've ever owned. it's a manual 6-speed. I worried about the clutch so I'm just changing mine for peace of mind. A couple companies make upgraded solutions.

VelocityAP (owned by a guy named Stuart Dickinson) makes the ultimate upgrade - they make a lightweight billet flywheel that allows you to use the dual-disc clutch pack that Aston Martin uses on all their V12 cars, just about doubling the torque capacity of the V8 clutch. Aston Martin V8 Vantage Twin Plate Organic Clutch & Lightweight Flywheel OEM Replacement Manual

VelocityAP also offers a slightly upgraded friction disk if you don't want to spend so much and you haven't already ruined your flywheel and pressure plate. Aston Martin V8 Vantage Clutch Friction Plate Only Replacement

RSC Tuning offers an uprated flywheel/disc/pressure plate setup Uprated/Performance Clutch and Flywheel Package - - RSC Tuning Stuart from VelocityAP used to be a partner at RSC and he also designed the setup they sell.

I've discussed the clutch options extensively with Stuart (who seems to know more about Aston Martins than the factory does) and I decided to order his dual-disc setup. I actually ordered it today, in fact. I was able to negotiate a substantial discount from the web site pricing.

Stuart also worked with Wilwood to come up with a 2-piece brake rotor that can replace the stock cast rotors and use the stock calipers. Aston Martin Lightweigh 2-Piece Brake Rotors, Factory OEM Replacment These are on my list of things to do after I finish paying for the clutch project, LOL.

8. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Fantastic info! Sounds like you've got a keeper with your Vantage. Let us know how the new clutch feels when you get it installed. Great to know so many high quality aftermarket solutions exist for these cars. I think you're doing it the right way, spend a little more up front for the best parts and not have to worry about it any more.

9. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    Yep, fix it once, fix it right, and be done. But the Vantage operating costs make my Ferrari 328 seem like an economy car.

10. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Huh?

11. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    Vantage oil change - $300
    328 oil change - $110

Vantage clutch - $5000+
    328 clutch - $2200

etc.

Although brakes for the Vantage cost less than for the 328. Everything else costs 2-3x as much.

12. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Sounds like you are getting fleeced by the AM dealer. Not uncommon...but you can do better at an independent...

13. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    Those ARE independent shop prices. The AM dealer I know of charges almost $1500 for an annual fluid service! And nearly $7000 for a clutch job!

I was aware of the costs before I bough the car. But it could be a real shocker for someone who didn't do any research.

14. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    I'm also considering a high mile Vantage ...I was going to use clutch masters clutch . I must agree with Jeff AM does seem to cost more to maintain than my 360 even. Oil change for me is $200

Stage 2 Kevlar is $1200

What other issue should we be aware especially with high mile car?

I would have consider XKR if it was manual definitely ,automated manual maybe , automatic boring

15. Zeus

Zeus Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2007
    Palm Beach
    Full Name:
    Lawrence
    I agree with Jeff, at least on the annual service costs. At an independent shop the annual service on my V8V costs roughly double the annual service cost on my 328.

16. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    I was seriously thinking about going with Clutch Masters or another up-rated single disc, but in my opinion the V8V clutch weakness is due to too small of friction area so I think going with a twin-disc setup will be the best option. I plan to keep the car a long time and never having to change the clutch again sounds appealing. I've also heard and think that the clutch engagement feel will be better with an organic twin-disc than a Kevlar single disc. And the pedal effort is significantly lower with a twin disc.

Other than clutch issues, these cars really don't seem to have too many problems. Some early cars have problems with oil sealing but replacing all the seals costs about $2500 if they are leaking. There have been other early-car problems with oil pumps making noise but it's just noise, not a looming failure. The tire pressure monitoring system is a joke and can be a nuisance. Seems like everyone has the "Service Emissions System" light come on at some time or another. Could be the notoriously leaky gas cap. But most often seems to be failed post-cat O2 sensors. I had one of mine fail the day I got the car! And my car only had 11,800 miles on it at the time.

The V8V requires 11 quarts of 10w60 oil that meets the same specs as BMW requires for their later M cars. That's $130 of oil each change. The filter and gaskets that get replaced during an oil service cost about $65. The transmission oil is some special exotic kind that costs $$$, I think it is made from unicorn tears. Everything else is more or less normal.

17. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Thanks .. good to see that someone besides me isn't scared to buy high miles car ... With that kind of miles it has to be a keeper because extremely few potential buyers.
    With 68k on my 360 it's a keeper

360 takes 10 quarts filter is $50 my indie charges half hour labour

18. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    I guess that I am less familiar with the service cost of the Vantage. My DB7 and DB9 have been low cost to maintain over the years however. $50-60 of Mobil 1 0W-40 and a Ford Racing oil filter at ~$15 (the DB9 is still getting $30 AM filters for now). Other fluids are standard fare and reasonable. No clutch issues so far. My 550 on the other hand is a bit more pricey...

19. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Is MY07 when updates starts ?

20. Zeus

Zeus Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2007
    Palm Beach
    Full Name:
    Lawrence
    Depends, of course, on what you mean by updates. There have been many interior, exterior and performance updates starting with the original V8V that came out in 2005 as MY06.

For instance, and this is a very short list, MY07 had some interior and a few other updates from the original model. In '08 a dealer approved aftermarket power and handling upgrade for the original 4.3L (380 hp) was offered. Late '08 and MY09 saw the 4.3L engine replaced with a 4.7L (420 hp with additional torque). The interior in MY09 upgraded the '07 interior, replaced the roof antenna with a windshield antenna, changed the wheel design, and made other exterior mods. The original paddle shift (Sport Shift 1) was upgraded to the SS2 in MY12 (and later replaced with the SS3), etc., etc., etc. Additionally there are numerous service bulletins that address issues ranging from hard 1st to 2nd shifting to heated seat failure, starting with the original V8V and continuing to the present.

There are excellent stickies and threads on the 6SpeedOnline, Pistonheads and AMOC website forums that describe in great detail the year by year V8V updates. Additionally, there is a book universally acclaimed by AM devotees to be the definitive buyer's, owner's and enthusiast's guide for Gaydon Era AMs, entitled, of course: "The Definitive Guide To New Gaydon Era Aston Martin" which many consider a "must read" before any modern AM purchase.

21. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Thanks I will concentrate on 07,08 . Is the sport shift automated manual or full auto ?

22. Zeus

Zeus Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2007
    Palm Beach
    Full Name:
    Lawrence
    In the V8V it's an automated manual.

23. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    If you're looking at '07s and '08s, I would stick with a manual if possible. The first-generation Sportshift (what AM calls their automated manual) is not the greatest.

24. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Are these easy to work on for DIY guys ?

25. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    Oil and fluid changes are easy DIY, many other things, too. As long as you don't need any Aston-specific software coding or diagnostics. Another good reason to stay away from Sportshift-equipped cars. But remember that easy doesn't mean inexpensive.