would love thoughts: xk, xkr or vantage? | FerrariChat

would love thoughts: xk, xkr or vantage?

Discussion in 'British' started by ferraripete, Nov 29, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

as some of you know, I split my time between san diego and charlotte. my Ferraris and Porsche are in charlotte and see little use and with rise in values, should probably not be used as grocery getters when I find myself on the east coast. I need a nice daily driver for charlotte.

last may, I replaced my trusty bmw with a zero mile 2009 xk convertible. it has been a perfect car for me in san diego and is strong enough to be fun and sexy as can be to look at. I cannot believe how much I enjoy the xk...nothing I have ever owned chases sunsets better and with more style:)

so, I need a dd for the east coast. I have been considering an 2015 xk 5.0 coupe @ $62k w/ full factory warranty. a 2014 xkr 5.0 coupe w/ 500 miles...balance of 5/50k factory warranty and essentially a new car for $72k. last, I have wondered if a 4.7 vantage would be a nice alternative?

on the road, the 5.0 xk feels nice and w/ 385 hp...is quite strong and is a composed gt w/ stunning looks.

the vantage is clearly smaller and is quicker...stunning and compact.

the 5.0 xkr trounces the others in the straight line plain and simple.

from a use standpoint, I would drive 5k miles per year and would still have my 500 hp 930 turbo avail when I need a hooligan fix:).

please give some thoughts or encouragement in my decision process as I value the guidance from this group.

thank you all.

best,

pcb

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  3. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    If you don't need rear "seats" then I would go with the Vantage. Not many (any?) prettier cars and the performance is certainly more than adequate. It's also fairly reliable for that type of car. I think you know what my choice was :)

4. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    I've put around 4k miles on my V8V this year although with the sport package on mine (09) I wouldn't recommend it as a daily driver as it can be a rougher ride. No issues with the car though, fun to drive, and great to look at of course.

5. ferraripete

a bit cramped for me. I drove the coupe and love it but again...a bit on the small side. it is the same reason the vantage is not on top of the list. I will say this however, the f-type r and xkr are ballsy!!!!!

6. ferraripete

just an update...I had no time to waste in my evaluation of the specific xk and xkr I was considering. they both sold last weekend. the xkr coupe remains my front runner. the prettiest and very, very robust!! a true tire shredding gt. I will begin to plan resuming my search in January.

7. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Have you considered a DB9? If the small size of the Vantage gives you pause, it may be worth consideration. A stunning car and available in the approximate price range you mention, although obviously not as new and with the warranty of the Jags. I love the XK/XKR, but given the choice I'd take a the DB9 with that glorious V12.

8. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Maserati Gran Turismo?

9. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    A little over a year ago I moved on from the raw sports type Ferrari 308 GTB. Having been a Jag guy in the past I wanted to get back into one where I could enjoy our week end trips and country drives. I had some money to spend so I search for and bought a 2012 XKR convertible. It has all of the creature features I looked for and is enjoyable to drive both around town and on 6 hour trips. It is a 2 seater GT with extra space in the rear jump seats. It is smooth and quiet or crisp and loud depending on how you want to drive it. I don't mind going from a 3 peddle car to a paddle shifter ZF box. Then with the 510HP and the active exhaust and suspension it is a blast to drive. And best of all my bride loves to drive it . So my bias says go for a late model XKR.

10. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

BINGO!

11. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    #12 mcimino, Dec 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    A year ago when I went looking for a coupe, I drove the DB9, the XKR, and the XKRS, out of those 3 the XKRS was the most fun. For some reason I just did not like the power delivery in the regular XKR. The DB9 out the outside is beautiful, but on the inside (and the way it drove did not impress me at all), it did not feel that special. Then a deal came up I could not refuse a red 2013 BMW 650 coupe (a loaded low mileage rep demo with a 114K+ sticker) which I was able to purchase (with Dinan stage 1 and shockware as part of the deal) for less than half the sticker price. It now has over 500 hp and over 500 tq as well, and once I pulled those fred flintstone boulders off the corners (installed lightweight 19" rims and non runflats) it gave the car a whole different feel (in a very good way). Yes it is a BMW (nothing special to some), but I rarely see another coupe (certainly not a red one and local dealers do not usually have more than one in stock) so they are rarer the jags around here. I guess I am getting old but I like having all the creature comforts and the tech stuff (though I have never used some of it like night vision) as well as the power.

13. ferraripete

the GT once was a consideration until I drove one. not really the beast that the late model jag xkr is and when parked next to the vantage or the xkr coupe...looks a bit awkward.

I appreciate the suggestion however.

14. ferraripete

steve,

this where I am leaning. the 2014 xkr was an elegant brute. so pretty and so stout...a real tire roaster!! I love the comfort in the xk line as well. as a car guy, the dynamic setting really makes me smile too:)

the car looks like a movie star and the warranty is attractive as well.

15. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3

Mar 27, 2013
    Hunt. Bch/Palm Dsrt/Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    XKR...hands down.

16. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3

Mar 27, 2013
    Hunt. Bch/Palm Dsrt/Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    I'm driving the XF-Supercharged today....GREAT DD..

17. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    BMW is a great car but to many of them for me. Now maybe you are going to say not this model but for the average joe on the street when you see the distinctive BMW grill it looks just like another BMW as there are many of them. When you see a Jag like an XK it is rare that you see another one around. Part of the journey is the exclusivity of the Jag. Just my opinion so enjoy the drive.

18. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    If Jag came in manual or at least automated manual I would have one hands down , I love the style

19. ferraripete

automated manual? if you mean the paddle shifter and rev matching on the downshifts...the jag does have that.

not a double clutch but a very smooth and capable zf box. it is actually quite nice and engaging!

20. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    The XK series car uses a ZF 6 speed auto box with paddle shifters and rev matching. It is the same gearbox used in other high end cars like BMW . It appears that Jag has found the right formula and the ZF preforms excellently in the 5.0 L engine. It has no problems with the 510HP or the 550 HP XKR-S and holds up to the torque without any problems. It is not as harsh as a dual clutch box and rather docile in full auto mode. For the average driver the difference in shift speed it insignificant. If you turn off the traction control it becomes a mean drift car , hahaha. As for the styling it is in my opinion beautiful and timeless. It has it's quirks but all cars do .