Mclaren from a f430? | FerrariChat

Mclaren from a f430?

Discussion in 'British' started by bocaf430, Dec 23, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    Thinking of selling my f430 to get into a Mclaren Most likely a mp12c because of the price... Anyone here go from Ferrari to Mclaren? Happy with the change?

2. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

I think there are a number of folks on this chat that have done the very same...be patient as they will weigh in.

3. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    I have both. The Mc is far superior. The 430 has more grunt, but it can't keep up. The Mc has a better ride, handling and performance.
    You MUST drive one to understand.

Good luck,
    Joe

4. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    I have had a number of Ferraris and have had my 12C about 8 months now. I am converted. I absolutely love this car. Power, handling, ride, fit and finish, etc, etc is amazing. They have been pretty reliable which to me was a big selling point. Even the newer Fcars have some little issues.

5. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    I have a 2008 Scud and 2012 12C; the latter is much better in every objective category. The Scud is a raucous, crazy beast that is very special, but it's no bueno for anything other than short drives and occasionally on track. The 12C is faster in every way, more comfortable, mine has been reliable except for nits, and the main reason I have the Scud is to horse around and because it does not appear to be getting less valuable. The 12C price has fallen to where it is a crazy value. In fact, I think the 12C is better than the 458 and the equal of the Speciale.

6. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    My Mclaren was the 12C and the Ferrari was the 458.

When I had my Mclaren there were only three dealers in the entire USA. SO I would check that out. Many private repair shops can most likely fix it.

The 12C has switches so you can go from mild to wild. Handling, throttle response and exhaust sound if I remember correctly.

I had a little trouble with my 12c. Typical English car but in my mind worth it.

For driving experience the F430 is a drivers sports car the 12C is a gentleman's touring car that is a pretty good sports car but also comfortable and fast.

If it was my fun car I would prefer the 12C. If you must depend on it to go to work I would get an Audi R8 over either. I traded in my 12C and bought a Lamborghini Adventador, 12 Cylinder 700 hp. Believe it or not they perform about the same. I was very surprised.

Good luck what ever you buy.

Lee

7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I know one Fchatter that did. But he also bought a 458 after the 12c (kept the 12c and the 458).

The 12c is much faster but IMO doesn't have the same emotional feel. Both are fine cars though and the 12c is an amazing bargain.

Just make sure you're not too far from a dealer for service.

8. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    How much is a 12c these days?

9. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    I think they are still at least 150K. The steep initial depreciation is over.

10. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    #10 John B, Dec 24, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
    I can comment on a 12C vs CS.
    I had my CS for about seven years. I enjoyed it for nice country drives and the occasional track day. Toward the last few years I became reluctant to take it on the track as they were becoming prized as rare and valueable cars, and I felt I would be a real ****** if I wadded it up on the track. I enjoyed the CS for it's rawness and singular purpose, but I always felt a little self concious driving a modern Ferrari on the street. You know, the stigma of being "That guy". Ultimately, I kind of realized I wasn't really satisfied either way I used it, track or street. While the CS was gaining in value, lightly used 12C's were plumeting. I always admired the 12C so I figured I would give one a shot. Well, I like it so much it's almost become my daily driver. I hop in it for almost anything. It's performance is not even in the same zipcode as the CS, or pretty much anything else I have driven. The technology and performance in the 12C are astounding. It rips on the track, easily passing race cars on slicks. People seem to just love seeing the 12C on the street. Rather than feeling self concious and pompous, you get tons of thumbs ups and phone pics everywhere you go. Pulling in for fuel becomes an event.

One area where the CS excelled and the 12C left a little to be desired was the sound. The sound of a CS at speed is to die for. Probably the best sounding car ever, period. The 12C, even with it's sport exhaust was rather muted. The addition of an AWE full exhaust system with 200 cell race cats cured that. I think it now sounds just right, and better sounding than a 458 IMO. It also picked up 44hp and lost a few pounds in the bargain.

For me, modern Ferarri V8 (430, 458, CS, Scud, Speciale) vs a Mclaren?
    I find the Mclarens better in just about every way, performance, technology, ownership experience. I made my choice, and am very happy with it.

I think a lightly used CPO'ed 12C with a factory warranty for about $160k is an incredible bargain right now.

11. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    I feel the F430 draws attention, where I think the McLaren will draw less... I sold my pearl yellow Gallardo because of the attention it got, bought my f430 black,,, but still draws attention...

12. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    #12 bocaf430, Dec 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. F456 V12

F456 V12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Coto de Caza
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I don't know about that, from my own personal experience, my Volcanic Yellow 12C Spider draws significantly more attention and admirers, far more than my classic red/tan 360 and red/tan 430 spider ever did. Partly due to the rarity and likely due to the X-Box & PS-3/4 generation :) I literally had a mom and her two boys follow me home just to see the car and ask me a few questions.

MB

14. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    well I'm sure being its yellow helps draw attention.... :)

15. dailyferraridriver

dailyferraridriver Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    My business partner was interested in the 12c. For his birthday I decided to get him a few laps in one to see if he really liked it. Prior to the event I was emailed the following:

I was shocked. We switched to the Huracan and when we went to the event we inquired about the 12c's. They said they were constantly breaking down at the track events and had too many pissed off clients to keep them on the road.

My partner ended up getting a 650s and didn't look back. Fantastic car. Based on the above, I'd stay clear of the 12c, especially if it's out of warranty.

Erik

16. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    2 mechanic friends are telling me the f430 is a better car, less problems....they have driven both on a track, and say the Ferrari has less issues.... anyone here feel the same way ? different? I was really hoping they were going to say the mac was the better car :(

17. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    I feel the opposite, Mac is a better car.

18. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    agree

19. 1mean3

1mean3 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2012
    +1.

20. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    No idea about reliability on a track, but I know a 12C is like 5s quicker than an F430 on a 1 min lap LOL

21. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    I think they were talking about the f430 will be less mechanical issues then the mac. I know they said the brakes faded while pushing the car on the track while the f420 had no issues.. also they said the Ferrari is easier to work on, get parts for etc, the mac, you have to go thru the dealer for most everything

22. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I wouldn't buy either if you want a track car to be honest.

23. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    not looking for a track car, just a reliable street car my f430 has been issue free....

24. 1mean3

1mean3 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2012
    You are fortunate, keep the 430 and be happy! I dont think youll find an indy shop that can work on the Mac so it will go to a dealer.

All of these cars are expensive to service when something breaks or wears out and that happens to all of them. Even if they just sit (sometimes more so).

I knew I would have to "pay the price" when I bought my F-cars and Mac. So far Ive been right ;)

25. ViperTT

ViperTT Karting

Apr 5, 2011
    I've had my 12c for three years. No issues and I drive it several times a week.