650S Coupe or Spider | FerrariChat

650S Coupe or Spider

Discussion in 'British' started by redcaruser, Dec 31, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    I'm interested in a 650S, basically I'm a Coupe enthusiast. If I have a look on the used market I recognize that there are much more Spiders as Coupes available (Switzerland, 14 650S on the web, out of this eleven Spiders).

What is the reason behind? Are there more Spider available because much more Spiders as Coupes were sold? Makes the Spider the Coupe unnecessary (body stiffness)? Or are there other reasons?

Thanks a lot for your feedback.

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I heard the other day that they only built 200 650s coupes; when the spider came out production switched almost entire to that. so that explains why they're hard to find. whether or not that translates into price appreciation (or lack of depreciation) time will tell.

3. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    I think the reason is because there is hardly any penalty for going with a spider. Namely, due to the carbon fiber tub it is just as stiff as the coupe. In terms of weight my understanding is the spider wrighs only 80lbs more.

As such, many buyers have chosen to go with the spider.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

4. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Coupes trade for higher than the spiders in the US. I'd get a spider though.

5. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    Thanks a lot!

Are production figures known divided into Spider and Coupe?

In addition I have briefly analyzed the German market, on average over both markets I come to a ratio of 8:1 (Spider:Coupe). That's almost unbelievable to me!

For comparison the 458 Swiss market numbers: 82 458's are on the web, thereof 58 Coupes. In Germany more or less the same ratio, 118 458 on the web, thereof 69 Coupes.

6. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    In the US, if you were to look online for 650 sales, I'd think the spider:coupe ratio would be similar to your findings. 5-8:1. They're just rarer. The others are correct in that once Mac made the convertible, which because Mac waits for nothing was about a month after they released the coupe, they just stopped producing coupes. Consequently the spiders are less expensive on the open market.

7. 1mean3

1mean3 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2012
    With the CF tub there is no real performance difference so your not giving up anything there. The spiders offer more motoring options. For me its easier to get in/out of with the roof open:)

8. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Very few people are buying coupes because there is pretty much no downside to the Spider except a little less cabin space.

That said, I think the Spider looks like ****, as do most, and I always prefer the looks of a coupe.

9. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    ...which is a true reason.

A few days ago I sat in a 650S Coupe, with my 188cm a real challenge to enter this car.

But when I was inside, pinched in the race seats, I guess I fell in love, the modern English interpretation of my Scuderia. The next step will be a test drive, depending on the weather, probably with a Coupe... ;)