76 RR Silver Shadow restoration | FerrariChat

76 RR Silver Shadow restoration

Discussion in 'British' started by URAS, Jan 8, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    #1 URAS, Jan 8, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well as I am getting older, I have started to proceed with finishing of a number of restorations so I can start to enjoy them before my time is up. So this one started a month ago. The vehicle is fairly original other than the exterior paint which was Brewster green from the factory. This is going to be changed to dark graphite top with titanium at bottom, with black ever roof.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    #2 URAS, Jan 8, 2016
  3. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    #3 URAS, Jan 8, 2016
  4. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    #4 URAS, Jan 8, 2016
  5. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    #5 URAS, Jan 8, 2016
  6. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Should be a fun watch. I can totally relate to the desire to finish the projects sitting around. I have 2.

7. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    I am in for pushisment. I have 5(and soon to be 6) going on at same time - 77 308; 86 TR, 69 420G, 74 etype, and this one.

8. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    You are certainly brave.

9. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    You've got your hands full

10. porkchopious

porkchopious Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2009
    Oakton, VA
    Full Name:
    David
    My dear uncle has a 1971 Shadow that he has owned since about 1981. He has driven it regularly all these years and has sympathetically restored the paint and interior over the years resulting in a beautiful driving car that turns heads whenever he takes it out. All systems including the air-conditioning work well and the interior smells soooo good! It is silver with a red leather interior. One day it will belong to me and I look forward to becoming the caretaker of this wonderful vehicle.

11. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    #11 URAS, Jan 10, 2016
  12. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    #12 URAS, Jan 14, 2016
    well, the metal work is well underway. most of the cancer has been cut out and new panels welded in. engine, suspension, brake parts to be ordered shortly. fortunately the block was in very good shape.
    the last two pictures are what I am thinking of in terms of the paint scheme. not an exact match but closest I could find. dark on top with the titanium on bottom, black everflex roof fabric. the interior is staying the tannish colour. hub caps repainted to match the new paint scheme.

thin whitewalls or blackwalls?

13. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    #13 URAS, Mar 19, 2016
  14. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    #14 URAS, Mar 19, 2016
    Sat down with shop on this past Friday and made the final decision on the paint scheme. A light silver for top including the everflex
    roof, with titanium grey at bottom. Have to give DuPont credit as their rep has been so helpful over the months. Paint booth next week.

15. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    #15 URAS, Mar 19, 2016
  16. onboost

onboost Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2004
    DC Metro area
    Nice work Vince and thank you for the motivation!

I have a 74 Shadow that has been in the family for sometime.. I cared for it during my college days and after purchase from and gaining relative, have owned it for sometime now. She's been a bit neglected, and is in need of paint but thankfully remains a rust free example. Like yours, it will have to come down to the metal in most areas as the old lacquer paint has crazed in some areas, as split in others.. primarily at the leaded joints where fenders join the roofline.

Other than that it looks like I'll be starting with a re-fresh of the brake system.. (always fun) and the replacement of some fuel lines and gaskets on the carbs. I'm looking forward to it as I've had some good times with the old gal! Hope to get started in a few months.

Good luck with yours and appreciate the pics!

17. redfred84

redfred84 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    SF Bay Area, USA
    Wow, You are working fast! I have a black '67 Shadow with red hydes. It has a very thin double pin stripe on the sides, and again on the hub caps. The striping is in red, and really sets off the car.
    Thanks for sharing, RF.

18. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    I find it funny Redfred84 in that I have friends who have fairly new Bentleys and RR's. Yet when we go to functions and their cars are parked next to mine, invariably the crowd natually goes to these older girls. Next week is shooting the paint (at least targeted so far). I will attach more pictures when the base coats are done.

19. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
  20. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    While on the way to visit my E type restoration, stopped in to check out the status of the Silver Shadow. Spraying this weekend and Monday and Tuesday of next week. Wednesday being flat bedded to the assembly shop. The body shop sprayed some trim panels with the colours I had selected (grey at bottom, silver/white silver at top with the same silver everflex roof and repaint the wheel covers with the dark grey and tan interior colour combo. Looked amazing. Paint mfg is delivering paint tomorrow based on the original colour matching for RR's of that period with this colour. Next Wednesday heading back to the shop to look at the final coats and take the staff out for drinks for appreciation. I will post next week the shell before reassembly starts.
    PS I thought the jaquar e type v-12 was massive, but have to say the RR 6.75L engine next to the RR is just as massive if not larger.
    I feel so privileged to be able to look forward to driving this this spring.

21. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

more pics please.

22. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    For sure next week will take pictures and post. I wanted to today but my crappy I phone (I phone 4) really is crappy. Next week I will take a camera with me.

23. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    #23 URAS, Apr 4, 2016
  24. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada