Aston Martin Vantage V8 v Ferrari 360 | FerrariChat

Aston Martin Vantage V8 v Ferrari 360

Discussion in 'British' started by Mckinney, Jan 24, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mckinney

Mckinney Karting

Mar 29, 2013
    No video or comparison test unfortunately, just a question from a guy who has never driven either car. Is there anyone on the forum who owns or has owned both and can compare the ownership/driving experience?

Thanks

2. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Haven't driven either, but the Vantage is a lot cheaper that the 360 ... almost 50% less on today's "gentle pre-owned" car market.

3. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

vanquish vs 360 would be better

4. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    I've driven both and own a Vantage. Very different cars. 360 more sporting and lighter. Vantage more of a GT car and to me more timelessly elegant and beautiful. I don't know that price delta is 50% but Vantage definitely cheaper. Neither is very fast by today's standards so pick what moves you subjectively.

5. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    You would probably get more use out of the Vantage but 360 is all around better driving experience IMHO.

6. Mckinney

Mckinney Karting

Mar 29, 2013
    Thanks for the responses, much appreciated.

I wonder if the Vantage and the 360 will be sought after (or at least respected) 30 years from now. I would guess they will be.

7. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    People are paying hundreds of thousands of dollars for those cereal box size cars (Isetta BMW, Messerschmitt etc) and for VW camper van... so id say yes they will be sought after.

8. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Every noisy and beautiful vehicle will be sought after in 30 years when hybrids & plug-ins dominate the landscape.

9. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Depends on the year Vantage. I've driven a few, and a few 360's. The Vantage could be a daily driver. The 360 least likely a daily driver. A bit too flashy, while the Aston could be classy, subtle, and timeless. Astons, like Porsches, to the non-enthusiast, look all alike, no matter what year. Repairs on the Aston are very surgically priced. It really isn't easy getting to everything in the car, and the little repairs are expensive due to labor. Same with the 360. Getting around, you can fit more in the Aston. The Aston feels more special, and the build quality, materials, and fitment is top notch. The 360 is well... it's a 360, a wonderfully sounding, gorgeous sportscar.

10. jmn

jmn Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    jmn
    I've owned both. I was second owner on the 360 and bought the Vantage new. Ultimately, the Vantage was a disappointment. Beautiful, but just too slow, or maybe just felt slow due to the flat torque curve. The 360 was just a lot more fun, faster and better handling to me. The Aston is really pretty, but to me the driving experience is far and away the most important thing and the 360, even though it is an older design, was a lot better. That's why we buy these cars, right?

Loxo likes this.
  11. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Did you have the Vantage with the larger engine? (Maybe a 2009 upgrade.) I have read that it's a significant improvement, but an owner's voice would be the best opinion.

12. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    I have a 4.7 (09) and power I feel is adequate, although thinking about trading out for a V12V.

13. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    I have a 4.3 (07) V8 Vantage with headers, high-flow cats and muffler, and ECU tune and it sounds like an animal and is plenty fast. Never even considered or even sat in a 360, I think they are not very attractive looking. Whereas with the Aston, I sometimes think I wouldn't even care if it didn't run, I would be happy to just sit and look at it.

14. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Price wise, that's a fair comparo:
    4.3L Vantages are running $40-60k
    V12 Vanquish, 4.7L Vantage and early 360s are $65-85k
    Vanquish S and later 360s $85-100k

That said, the Vanquish was really the GT competitor to the 550/575. And but for the recent price insanity, a 550 would still be around $70k. The cheapest 550 I saw online was a high miles black one in GA or TN for $55k.

15. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    V12 Vantage. Very nice! Can you still get a manual?

16. Atlanta355

Atlanta355 Karting

Jun 7, 2008
    Atlanta
    Five years ago I would have gone for a 360 every time. Now I would go for a Vantage as I think they have aged very well.

17. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I think for the V12 they stopped sticks after '12 and went paddles only.

Stick now on the V8 only.

18. action-ant

action-ant Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    I've got a 2009 Vantage V8 for sale. 6k miles. :)

Fit and finish and materials are amazing. Exhaust and engine noises are heavenly, especially if the exhaust valve fuse is removed and the exhaust valve is forced open all the time. A great GT car. Has nice balance, but can definitely tell it's got some mass and weight to the car.

19. sunburn

sunburn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Dawsonville, GA
    Full Name:
    Rick R.
  20. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
  21. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    I do hope it comes with a full "bumper to bumper" waranty....

22. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Neither. Can get a 430 spider for $113k.

23. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    You are not even in the same price range. In any event, some will like the value and styling of the Aston, some will need to have a Ferrari. Depends what you want. Also, the Aston is simply going to cost less to buy. Service is expensive for all of them.

24. Skull 1

Skull 1 Karting

Oct 14, 2014
    Oregon Coast
    Full Name:
    Jerg
    I have both cars a 2015 Vantage GT and 360 . I'm happy and blessed.So far I'm very satisfied on there performance. Next on wish list is GT3RS or R8.

25. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    The Vantage is on my wish list. I really love the looks, in and out. Funny though, I came across this article at Yahoo this am. This is the same guy who had a horrible experience with a 360. Read the comments; they sound more like haters than actual owners, I don't know. At a local c&c that I attend, there is a Vantage owner who said his car has been trouble-free all these times.

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/guy-endured-nightmare-ferrari-ownership-162625801.html